• 24" lets get crazy!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a ton of threads on here discussing the topic of wheel size. Some prefer to downsize their wheels and put on 17". Some go the other way and upsize to 20" or even 22".

I'm having just as much of a hard time trying to figure out the allure of going to a 17" wheel as other guys would going up to 22" like myself.

Thought I'd post a poll to see how many of us are on each side of the argument.

Here goes! Hope I do this right.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
17" are for traction with a good 17" DR. This enables a 1.6X 60' time at the track or better hooking on the street as the taller sidewalls flex more. Has nothing to do with looks IMO. It is so you can beat the guy lined up next to you either on the street or strip.
Your poll may be biased as your comparing a performance attribute to a visual attribute.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I thought that 18 was just about perfect, not only for proportions' sake, but to be able to mount tires with a reasonable amount of sidewall for daily driving. Then I found a wheel I had to have and it was 17" max so I put that on. A little on the small side from some angles, but it's because my eyes, like most of yours, guys, have been conditioned by what's out there these days. Otherwise I believe 17-18 to be right, visually. And if filling those humongous wheel wells is the idea, then rubber or metal is a personal call. No one's questioning black rims so what if much of the black happens to be rubber?

I also think that this poll only addresses aesthetics, when some owners have function in mind, either racing or real world driving, as opposed to just trendy glamour shots. Still a good idea just to know where the majority stands, which I expect to be a toss between 18 and 20, with minorities on the fringes.

I see cars with 20s and even 22s on this site that look great - it's just not for me (old school) and I don't think it's very viable for my uses. But aesthetically speaking it can work - just like the 17-18 so derided by some simply because they're not up-to-the-minute. So I would never tell people that their size is wrong for the car or disproportionate.

If the 18" choice had been worded differently I would've voted for that because I think it's the best size all around, for tire options and stability, for example. The way you put it, since 17 is acceptable for me and that's what I have, it ends up getting my vote. I know it's not real popular and couldn't care less, by the way.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My vote was for the 20" rim, however, the very design of the Cragar-like heritage wheel played as much a part in my decision as the actual size of the wheel did. You'll note that the 20" (as presented in the poll) also includes a mention to the effect that "even the Factory thinks so," or something to that effect -and- therein lies the reason that the 20" looks proportional - as does the 18."

I'm am quite certain that, among all of the aesthetic design issues that Chrysler/Dodge "wrestled with" in their primary design criteria was "what should the wheels look like" - and - I think it's fair to say that dozens, perhaps hundreds of designs/sizes/colors were considered before tooling and/or placing the order to the OEM supplier.

As wheels have become a far bigger (no pun intended) issue with cars in the last 10-15 years, Chrysler/Dodge were undoubtedly "pressed" by consumers who demanded a larger wheel that was comparable to those being offered by competitors. Many here will remember the 60's and 70's when wheels, although of interest, were much farther down on the "wish list" of after-market modifications than anyone could have imagined today -and- 14 and/or 15" wheels dominated the auto industry - performance vehicles or otherwise.

For this reason the designers produced exactly what they did - like it or not. And, in doing so, designed them with their very best "eye" for proportion, and style.

That's exactly why I chose the 20" heritage and why an 18" would have been my second choice. I, for one, am not going to resist what I feel must have been considered Chrysler/Dodge's best attempt at design, function and style.

In closing, and in MY contemporary opinion, 18" is the minimum, whereas 20" is the max. Anything over 20" just doesn't look right through these eyes. Frankly, I find them garish to the point where they overwhelm the basic design of the Challenger.

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
334 Posts
I voted 18", though I agree that the choice wasn't worded like I would have liked. 18"s hit the sweet spot for tire availability, sidewall height, and classic proportions. I also love, love, love the look of the stock 18"s.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Is the assertion that the factory "thinks" that 20" is the preferred size inferred from the fact that it's stock on the SRT? Or was it stated somewhere? Regardless, I find amusing that Orangekrush used this in the wording of the 20" poll option, while he himself chose 22" and keeps saying that 17" is too small, while that last size, along with 18", has actually been used by the factory. So is the factory right or not?

The dirty little secret of large rim sizes is that they're a status symbol, attached to the higher trims, and that the smallest sizes offered by the factory are mostly found on the SE/SXT. So that one of the first mods even V6 owners do is get larger wheels lest their car be marked for all to see as the poor man's Challenger.
Well, I like the stock 18's design and size. I think it's tasteful, simple, and it works well with the Challenger's shapes and proportions. I would've kept those wheels on my R/T because I want the car to be road-worthy and don't do any road course racing (like most guys with large wheels, especially over 20"). And I couldn't care less that people could confuse it with the 'lowly' V6 model. And I know this places me in a small minority. Only a more retro wheel in an even smaller size (heresy! By today's standards) made me switch.

Tall rims, especially above 20", are style over substance (people don't get them for traction, handling, or to clear their brakes - none of that). It's a style born out of a current fad (wheel, tire & alignment shops love that) and that I believe will not stand the test of time. The classics, on the other hand, are timeless, and so are their proportions. Stray from that if you like, but then don't say that your car looks better or expect a challenge.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I want to ditch the 20" chrome clads, didn't get a Challenger to run Ram pick-up wheels. I am planning on 17" for the lighter wheel, better traction & better looking-not so cartoonish. I will still be running a tall-ish 28.5~.9 rear tire but plan on a wide 12 tire as well as lowering it 1.5" to 2".

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Ima rock dem 26's BWAH! GANGSTA! LOL jk. It depends on the style of rim for me. I may be moving down to 18s from 20s or I may move to 22s. It all depends on what rims I want.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys. I agree that the correct way to do this poll was to just put all the sizes as options without the comments I added afterwards. That's what I tried at first but I kept getting errors so I thought the choices were too short and needed more to them. My bad!

·
Registered
373 Posts
id say 19s or 20s

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the assertion that the factory "thinks" that 20" is the preferred size inferred from the fact that it's stock on the SRT? Or was it stated somewhere? Regardless, I find amusing that Orangekrush used this in the wording of the 20" poll option, while he himself chose 22" and keeps saying that 17" is too small, while that last size, along with 18", has actually been used by the factory. So is the factory right or not?

The dirty little secret of large rim sizes is that they're a status symbol, attached to the higher trims, and that the smallest sizes offered by the factory are mostly found on the SE/SXT. So that one of the first mods even V6 owners do is get larger wheels lest their car be marked for all to see as the poor man's Challenger.
Well, I like the stock 18's design and size. I think it's tasteful, simple, and it works well with the Challenger's shapes and proportions. I would've kept those wheels on my R/T because I want the car to be road-worthy and don't do any road course racing (like most guys with large wheels, especially over 20"). And I couldn't care less that people could confuse it with the 'lowly' V6 model. And I know this places me in a small minority. Only a more retro wheel in an even smaller size (heresy! By today's standards) made me switch.

Tall rims, especially above 20", are style over substance (people don't get them for traction, handling, or to clear their brakes - none of that). It's a style born out of a current fad (wheel, tire & alignment shops love that) and that I believe will not stand the test of time. The classics, on the other hand, are timeless, and so are their proportions. Stray from that if you like, but then don't say that your car looks better or expect a challenge.
When I typed "the factory thinks so" it was just done quickly to add some text to the choice. I should not have added anything to the choices other than just the size. You are correct that the factory also uses smaller sizes on it's lower performance focused models as well.

My thought process was that the factory chose to use 20" wheels on the top of the line SRT. So in my eyes... obviously not everyone's, if the engineers chose 20" a lot of time and thought went into making that choice?

I have to disagree with you on your point that larger wheels are strictly a status thing. Larger wheels (up to a point) have been proven to increase the handling characteristics on vehicles. They are also required to clear a lot of the giant brake packages that come on high performance cars today.

I am currently running 18" police wheels with winter tires and I can tell you from first hand experience that I can take on ramps way quicker with my 22's than I can with the 18's. Now I know part of that is the tires but even if I were running an 18" performance tire there's just more sidewall flex under large loads that I don't get with my 35 series sidewalls on my 22's. Hence higher, more stable cornering speeds.

In the past I had a WS6 Trans Am that I used to drag race. For that vehicle I chose 16" rear wheels with a much fatter sidewall with skinnies up front. It was great for low 60 foots and quarter mile times at the drag strip but god forbid I had to make a quick lane change at highway speeds! My car would be sideways in no time.

There are cases for small wheels and cases for big ones. You think my 22's look ridiculous and I think the 17's look just as bad. Some guys like blondes some like red heads. It's all about personal choice!

My poll was originally designed to figure out what percentage of us choose which way to go.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am all about price. Smaller the rim better the price. Beside I can get white letters with the smaller rims that I can't with the larger rims. Just my wants and opinion.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I have to disagree with you on your point that larger wheels are strictly a status thing. Larger wheels (up to a point) have been proven to increase the handling characteristics on vehicles. They are also required to clear a lot of the giant brake packages that come on high performance cars today.[..]You think my 22's look ridiculous and I think the 17's look just as bad. Some guys like blondes some like red heads. It's all about personal choice!

My poll was originally designed to figure out what percentage of us choose which way to go.
I agree with you that it's personal choice. And I also agree that polls are interesting in that their results (unscientific as they are) can be used in later discussions. I don't believe for a second that being in a minority matters, because I see everyday what the majority wants and does, but that's another story. ;)

Otherwise I don't think that 22s are necessarily ridiculous because, as I've put it elsewhere, some of the best looking cars on CT have large wheels, and it's all in the execution of the look. I do find them impractical, but it depends on how one uses the car.

As for the status thing, I know that it's not strictly the reason behind large wheels. As you said they can harbor big brakes and allow the use of low profile tires. But you kind of proved my point about status with your statements, whether you are conscious of it or not: smaller sizes are found on lower trims and 20s are what's on the SRT, so it's case closed to you: large is better. Let's be honest now, how many people put 20"+ wheels on their cars to accommodate racing brakes or corner like a madman?

One big reason why I'm un-swayed by the performance argument, and why I find it much less compelling than the added costs, loss of shock absorption and stress on suspension components and steering caused by big wheels is that I'm a speed demon, you see. I mean I just had two back-to-back 6-month DL suspensions and it wasn't for 'impeding traffic' tickets. I've done triple digits on surface streets and power-slid (I wouldn't call that drifting in 1st and 2nd) those cars on their stock 'tiny' wheels and 'flexing' tires (and dry pavement). With my R/T and its current setup, that so many find appallingly old school, I can safely (controllably, anyway) double the speed limit pretty much anywhere (from my informal and super-secret research). Not bragging (I'll only get slammed); just explaining where I'm coming from.
Is there a loss in precision with fatter rubber? Yup... so? I can also negotiate potholes and speed bumps with considerably more confidence and without too much worry of needing a new wheel or suspension.
So do you drive faster than I do? Or do you race your car on road courses, maybe? If not, then please admit that 99% of your motivation is to make your car appear more upscale and up-to-date, i.e., to acquire status.

I'm not trying to be a d1ck, here, because I truly believe than one should do what they please with their own life and car. And it's OK to be purely after looks (many of my own mods are retro and cosmetic stuff). I'm just reacting to the mounting judgmental attitudes towards smaller wheels or cars that look like lower trims (I obviously prefer to fly under the radar as much as possible in traffic so I'm not shooting for ROTM). And to me it all comes down to ageism: "if you like classic shapes, you're an old fart and therefore wrong" BS.

And a word on factory choices, even for the SRT. The manufacturer doesn't always know best - if we believed that none of us would mod. What the manufacturer does know is that it wants to sell cars, though. So if people want spoilers, they get those, even if they have no measurable effect at the speeds most people drive at. Automakers make calculated decisions based on industry trends, and many of that stems from consumer demand (and that can come from something as silly as a movie). People being lemmings, I don't have to tell you now how little what's found on a given model means to me.

The first time I saw an Infiniti FX, around 10 years ago, the car looked absolutely ridiculous to me, like on stilts. But it got everyone's attention and that was the idea, I'm sure. Since then almost every car has tried to look like that and I guess you have to be over 30 to know that it's not a 'proportionate' look. It was an SUV. And the wheels were 'only' 18". So I'm sorry, but I look at my 17s up close and to me those are big wheels because I didn't grow to be 7" tall in the past decade. :rolleyes:

If it looks like a rant to you, I'm not pulling any of this out of thin air. I just take time to form opinions so, right or wrong, I can usually back them up with all the thought put into them, like here: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/deep-dish-slotted-mags-99248/index8.html#post2047953

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
When I typed "the factory thinks so" it was just done quickly to add some text to the choice. I should not have added anything to the choices other than just the size. You are correct that the factory also uses smaller sizes on it's lower performance focused models as well.

My thought process was that the factory chose to use 20" wheels on the top of the line SRT. So in my eyes... obviously not everyone's, if the engineers chose 20" a lot of time and thought went into making that choice?

I have to disagree with you on your point that larger wheels are strictly a status thing. Larger wheels (up to a point) have been proven to increase the handling characteristics on vehicles. They are also required to clear a lot of the giant brake packages that come on high performance cars today.

I am currently running 18" police wheels with winter tires and I can tell you from first hand experience that I can take on ramps way quicker with my 22's than I can with the 18's. Now I know part of that is the tires but even if I were running an 18" performance tire there's just more sidewall flex under large loads that I don't get with my 35 series sidewalls on my 22's. Hence higher, more stable cornering speeds.

In the past I had a WS6 Trans Am that I used to drag race. For that vehicle I chose 16" rear wheels with a much fatter sidewall with skinnies up front. It was great for low 60 foots and quarter mile times at the drag strip but god forbid I had to make a quick lane change at highway speeds! My car would be sideways in no time.

There are cases for small wheels and cases for big ones. You think my 22's look ridiculous and I think the 17's look just as bad. Some guys like blondes some like red heads. It's all about personal choice!

It's just my opinion but I still say 22s are going to extreme. I know 22s allow you to run a really low profile for cornering stability but at what cost? To me, the added weight, wear on suspension and steering parts, hindered fuel economy and increased chance of a bent rim aren't worth it when 20s will give you all the cornering stability you need. A Challenger R/T (especially with stock suspension) is too soft and floaty from factory to allow you to get the most out of your 35 series tires anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put 22"s on mine with a coilover suspension and in my opinion it handles better and rides smoother than the stock suspension/20" wheel combo ever did. I think one aspect people over look is tire weight. Is my aftermarket wheel heavier than the stock wheel? Yes it is but does anyone take into account the weight of the tire? The 22" tire weighs less than the stock 20" tire that it makes up for the weight increase of the wheel. I have no rubbing issues, no decrease in MPG and in my opinion looks way better than the stock 20" wheel ever did.

·
Registered
456 Posts
thuddy toos! yeah man.....wheres my ladder?

I like the 20s mine came with, fills the wheel wells nicely. like everyone said, just depends on what you use your car for, performance wise and such. just aesthetics...I like 18-22. depends on how the car sits.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I purposely stayed away from Orangekrush's previous thread on the topic (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/please-stop-tiny-wheels-135233/) while it was an obvious overreaction to a couple of members (vanishRT and yours truly) installing 17" wheels on their cars and getting good reactions from a handful of like-minded folks (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/deep-dish-slotted-mags-99248/). To each their own and I don't think that life is a popularity contest or that I should go on a crusade everytime someone attacks what I like.

Now mattpiper comes up with his own theory why 18" is the new 15" (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/wheel-proportion-modern-challengers-70-15-wheels-169897/) and we immediately get this poll. Why?

If you like big wheels, and this poll confirms it, I've got news for you: you're clearly in the majority. So what harm can a few people possibly do to your car if they prefer theirs to have a more classic stance? You think we're going to launch a fad that will kill yours? :pillepalle:
By all means, make your point why you like what you like, but don't tell people that their car looks "horrible" or what to do with it ("Please stop!"). :nono: What's threatening your way of life is not old timers (people over 40, nowadays :rolleyes:) and their fringe tastes, it's what's on the horizon: the self-driving bubble car with NO wheels. So... live and let live? And enough with the exalted threads attempting to shape forum opinion?

If anyone has to feel threatened, it's the guys who like old school rim and tire sizes, RWL tires, etc., believe me. Because the popularity of the newest and bestest styles (we all need cars that corner flat at 100, I get it now, I see you guys in traffic) paints US dinosaurs in a corner until we 'finally' become tar.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts