Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering doing a engine, big maybe really. Most likely will wait till next year and run what I have through next summer. I was just wondering if those who have done a engine and power adder combo would do the same today given the choice. There have been more and more new combos come out of course so it all plays into it.

I already have a:browsmiley: :thumbsup:Magnacharger:thumbsup: :browsmiley:so more than likely I'm not going to get anything different there. I might think differently this time next year who knows. If I were to do one today I would have a hard time deciding between a 392 or a 419. I haven't had in depth discussions with engine guys though so even those may not be what would work best for me.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
once you start in on it, its like crack. you get addicted and cant stop. Im always tearing mine apart and changing stuff. speed cost money, lots of it

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
i would stick with the low compression 6.1 and put a bigger blower. The KB 3.6LC.
the 3.6 was'nt out when i got my 2.8

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is addicting as he!!. Both you two told me this when I put on the Maggie, I said awww pffff not me LOL. That's kinda why I'm asking now I really haven't went to far so before I do anything substantial I'm going to have a good game plan and a real clear vision of what I'm wanting to get out of the car. That's why I think I'll just run what I have till after the summer that way I'll have some races under my belt and will be allot more educated.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Do you really want to build a racecar though? I mean I thought about it a few times, but having a roll cage kills the idea for me. Also, I like to be the oddball so I would never buy a KB. I would let Josh have my car, and make him figure it out. He would come up with some way to make it a rocket ship. Do more motor work, and require less boost or whatever.

John has the nicest roll cage I have seen, but I drive my car all of the time. Unless there is a totally removable one that I am unaware of. Maybe you can slid it in, and pin it or something.

I still like keeping the Maggie, and be the underdog. Talk is cheap. Nobody has tried to make a Maggie go all out yet on an Auto. When someone does, I think the numbers will be surprising. Make the inlet larger or whatever. If I ever do it, the Maggie stays for sure!

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
You need to set a goal , street car/weekend fun or serious racer and to what extent, as stated before speed cost money. I like to build a step or two more than what I need at the moment, detune it and have the ability to just add a tune/pulley, simple adds to get the next set up, it may cost more up front, but saves alot in the end, speed is addictive.
Tout

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMO, forging your 6.1, ported heads, a cam and upping the boost is the way to go. It's also less expesnive.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Skip the heads, especially if going with a forged 6.1. Stock heads flow very well. SC will blow right thru them. Valve job and some springs is needed at the most.

5,134 Posts
As GSO said, speed costs lots of money, and there's only so much I'm willing to put into a car. My goal is high 11s and I intend on getting there early next season with little more than what I got now. High 11s makes for a really fun street car and that's what I want since I have zero ambitions at being king.

If I grenade the motor then all bets are off though ;)

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Do you really want to build a racecar though? I mean I thought about it a few times, but having a roll cage kills the idea for me. Also, I like to be the oddball so I would never buy a KB. I would let Josh have my car, and make him figure it out. He would come up with some way to make it a rocket ship. Do more motor work, and require less boost or whatever.

John has the nicest roll cage I have seen, but I drive my car all of the time. Unless there is a totally removable one that I am unaware of. Maybe you can slid it in, and pin it or something.

I still like keeping the Maggie, and be the underdog. Talk is cheap. Nobody has tried to make a Maggie go all out yet on an Auto. When someone does, I think the numbers will be surprising. Make the inlet larger or whatever. If I ever do it, the Maggie stays for sure!
if you leave it to Josh you will have a forged 6.1 with a pro charger just like mikes car. and you'll be runing low 10s or high 9's

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I wouldn't change much on mine.

I had a list of goals when I start and they were:

1. 500RWHP

2. 100,000 mile or better durability

3. Reliability - able to drive across the country worry free if I wanted

4. Reasonable gas mileage. I didn't want single digits.

I took a year doing research and thinking it over. Arrington had a package that was proven and a good reputation.

I've been very happy with the car. I got the power I wanted plus some, the car starts and runs fine every time, and I get 18MPG city 22HWY. The motor can take a lot more than I'm giving it and I'm confident it will last a very long time.

I checked with three site vendors when shopping and got quotes from all three. Arrington was the most reasonable on cost as well for the package I wanted and I'm talking considerably more reasonable.

Now I'm moving on to phase two and getting the 1400HP axles, and probably early next year a clutch as well. I may do a few more odds and ends but the big work is already done (forged motor) so I can add a bit here or there to pick up some power if I want.

With a positive displacement blower like the Maggie, I wouldn't go too crazy on the stroke with your new motor. A 392 would be about the same thing I have, only with a bit bigger bore on the cylinder due to you starting with a 6.1 block instead of a 5.7. That seems like a nice motor and will give you more torque than HP which makes for some fun driving on the street.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've put together several 550 - 750 RWHP blown street cars with the ability to turn it up if wanted or needed. And tons of 440 + NA rides.

My advice be careful what you wish for, as I've also dialed a couple of these little monsters back too.

Once you exceed 600 rwhp it becomes a whole new ball game. If you have deep pockets and are willing to do what it takes to make it safe, sane and reliable, there is still the fun factor............it goes away. In city traffic they are a chore to deal with and all though it may sound like a good time when at 100mph you can smoke the tires, at the wrong time and during a lane change, you better have your **** together as a driver.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More than anything I'm wondering if there was anyone who did something that looking back they would have done differently, you know the hind sites 20/20.
Thanks Cam I'm really not dissatisfied with my current car and it's power just been thinking that building a engine is in my future and wanting to learn from those who have already done what I might be doing.
I'm not at this point ready to make this a monster to try and drive in town. I will know more about my wants and needs after I start going to he track.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I thinks its a great idea to build a bottom end. I tell anyone that gets a blower the same ole saying, it's not if, it's when. And I don't care who's blower it is, who tuned it, doesn't matter. One day the planets will align and you'll rattle (detonate for those that are slang challenged) that thing and all it takes is one time and pop.

9.5-9.8cr 426 and bump that maggie to 10-12 pounds and you'll have a very serious car that will still make for a nice reliable car you could drive across country.

You want boost, go with 392 and throw that 3.6 KB up top and go break everything else.

The last Challenger build (not the 871 car) has a 9.5 426, KB 2.8 at 14lbs, my stand alone drive system and boost controller, fore hat with twin walbors, full insturmentation. Paramount trans, Quaife, DSS axles, Pedders, my minitub set-up with 345/35/19 meats on the rear and my coil over suspension system. A ton of sound deadening material. This car was built not to be the ultimate 1/4 miler nor road course mule. But will do both very well and I wouldn't hesitate to take that car on a cross country trip in a momments notice.

But like I mentioner earlier, it didn't come cheap.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I built mine from the start as a low compression blower motor. I would have gone with an aluminum block, but they were not available when I ordered my 426 in October 2009.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am worried about emissions. Is the Maggie or Ken Bell carb certified?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I built mine from the start as a low compression blower motor. I would have gone with an aluminum block, but they were not available when I ordered my 426 in October 2009.
Getting a Aluminum block would be nice for sure, I'm not sure I would go with one. I would need to do more looking into it than I have so far. The weight is for sure a big advantage when you head to the track.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Getting a Aluminum block would be nice for sure, I'm not sure I would go with one. I would need to do more looking into it than I have so far. The weight is for sure a big advantage when you head to the track.
The weight was definitely one of the things I was looking at. Also the thicker walls would have been better. I know I should have gone for a 393 or so, but I really wanted to have a 426 for nostalgia.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts