Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know those who formally or currently own the 2008-2010 SRT-8, what is the difference with the 2011 SRT-8 from a butt dyno aspect? I recently purchased a 2010 R/T Classic with 6 speed and STP, and I really love the car. I think the Classic captures the essence of the 70-71 models the best. The STP is a must have on the R/T in my opinion because it makes it handle similar to the SRT. The car still sits too high though. I could have gotten the 10 SRT for probably 6-7K more than I paid but did not feel it was worth it after driving both. The wife also in a nice way said "No," to the SRT after we drove them both. Yes, the SRT is the better car hands down. I am not a denier of that like some. Now that the new 392 is out, I am curious of how it stacks up to the outgoing SRT and current R/T from a driver's perspective. I am interested to hear your thoughts now that you've had the cars for a while. I am already thinking of upgrading to the SRT in a couple of years. I hope they offer some more colors by then. For now, it would be Redline or White I/E.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would like to know those who formally or currently own the 2008-2010 SRT-8, what is the difference with the 2011 SRT-8 from a butt dyno aspect? I recently purchased a 2010 R/T Classic with 6 speed and STP, and I really love the car. I think the Classic captures the essence of the 70-71 models the best. The STP is a must have on the R/T in my opinion because it makes it handle similar to the SRT. The car still sits too high though. I could have gotten the 10 SRT for probably 6-7K more than I paid but did not feel it was worth it after driving both. The wife also in a nice way said "No," to the SRT after we drove them both. Yes, the SRT is the better car hands down. I am not a denier of that like some. Now that the new 392 is out, I am curious of how it stacks up to the outgoing SRT and current R/T from a driver's perspective. I am interested to hear your thoughts now that you've had the cars for a while. I am already thinking of upgrading to the SRT in a couple of years. I hope they offer some more colors by then. For now, it would be Redline or White I/E.
I owned a 2009 SRT 8 from a handling and performance stand point it is a totally different car. The car reacts better when you turn corners and the acceleration is phenomenal. If you test drive a 392 you will never look at your RT the same way again. The 5.7 and the 6.1 are not that far apart in performance some people will not openly admit that, but the performance gap between the 5.7 and the 6.4 huge.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Do not even think about jumping in a 392 for a test drive, you will buy it immediately.

I sold my 09 SRT prior to getting the 2011 392. The 2011 is a completely different animal. Upgrades throughout and the torque will snap your neck.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is why I refused to test drive one when I was looking though I was offered. My 30K R/T Classic is what I could afford right now having bought the Jeep 6 months ago. I could have went to up to 33K-35k for a SRT-8 used. However, I think buying a performance car like this, it needs to be new because you never know who drove it and how they drove it before you. In a few years time, I will hopefully be able to buy a 392. For now, I am enjoying my lowly R/T :). These are the answers I'm looking for. Keep your experiences coming!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i test drive a 2010 SRT and the 392 has noticeably more power & better sound too

when i floored the 2010 it was a disappointment(didnt feel like 425 hp)....when i floor the 392 i get an Adrenalin rush...hang on and steer straight

·
Registered
392 Posts
I traded in a Supercharged '09 Hemi Orange R/T for a 392 and I have no regrets. The supercharger put noticable power at the top of the RPM range but the 392 feels like it puts the same power through nearly all the RPM range. It feels faster and looks faster. It is also worthy to note that I went from a 6 speed manual to an automatic. The auto's are just plain faster. Put in some 3.92 gears and watch out......actually even with no mods, watch out! It is the fastest car I ever drove. It also beats the current camaro and the mustang...they will have to supercharge their models to hang with the 392. The 470ish horsepower is completely underrated. Ill bet its putting 440 to the ground using the STD correction factor. I will find out in a couple months when she is broken in.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm avoiding driving the 392 (not like any dealerships are LETTING people without a big deposit) but even still; if I was allowed I would have to decline because I don't want anything ruining my good time with my current 6.1L!

I'm very happy with my 2010 SRT-8 and I feel like if I drove a 392 and it BLEW me away, i'd grow to resent my current car.

It's just as well anyway, the 2011 colours all suck compared to the 08-10 colours (except GWE but then, I don't like the GWE rims so I can't win) I love the idea of a "Deep Water Blue" SRT8 since I LOVED that colour on my SRT-4, but the interior of the IE in my opinion is tacky and stupid looking.

Now if they offered a 392 in Hemi Orange or Detonator Yellow, there'd be some trouble I think for my bank account! :thumbsup:

*DISCLAIMER* I'm sure many will obviously disagree and defend the interior of the IE's. I'm not trying to offend anyone so please don't take it personal, it's just my opinion that white leather slapped everywhere with bright blue on a dark slate interior looks strange and ugly to ME.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
have not been in a 6.1 but I would not worry about the 6.4. If in a year from now the 6.4 comes out with closer to 500 hp and then the current owners will be just like the 6.1 owners are feeling today. why worry about it. enjoy what you have. they are all nice cars.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i test drive a 2010 SRT and the 392 has noticeably more power & better sound too

when i floored the 2010 it was a disappointment(didnt feel like 425 hp)....when i floor the 392 i get an Adrenalin rush...hang on and steer straight
I felt the same way when I drove an 08 SRT. I thought it was going to be faster than it was. That is why I ended up with my new 6 speed R/T Classic that was significantly cheaper than the used 8k mile 08 I was looking at. I'll get a 392 someday when they come out with some decent colors again. Obviously, the I/Es are nice, and I do like Redline and Black. The rest are not my cup of tea.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I felt the same way when I drove an 08 SRT. I thought it was going to be faster than it was. That is why I ended up with my new 6 speed R/T Classic that was significantly cheaper than the used 8k mile 08 I was looking at. I'll get a 392 someday when they come out with some decent colors again. Obviously, the I/Es are nice, and I do like Redline and Black. The rest are not my cup of tea.
Color is the #1 thing to me when it came to buying my car. If you like bright white or deep water blue, you can buy an IE and make it anything you want.

I took the stripes off mine. I also have ordered a set of 2011 SRT seat covers in normal black. More to come when it is complete......

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
how much were the seat covers and how much to install?

im going the route of buying the neoprene covers for $490

1 - 11 of 11 Posts