Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 challenger rt and I love the car. I've done a few mods and like rims, tires, oil catch can, hellcat airbox, borla s catback, eibach pro kit, scat lip with apr front splitter, rear louvers and other small stuff. I want to add longtubes, tuner etc. I dont track but I do want more to the wheels. Is it really worth adding performance mods to a rt like longtubes, tuner, etc..

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
i understand. i started with a rt then got an srt 392 then last week i got a hc. i just couldnt get the hc outta my head. so i patiently kept looking until i found pretty much my exact 392 srt in hc form. only dif is the hc dosent have a sunroof. i hardly ever used it anyway but the 6.2 makes me forget how much i liked my 392 haha. itll spin the tires and kick out a bit going 65-70 if you want it to. a few days after i got it i already did a lmi intake haha.

Reactions: Blktop_Hemi

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat pack
154 Posts
Don’t feel too bad I started with an 2011 Dodge Challenger SE then upgraded to a 2014 Dodge Challenger SRT

Pierre_Piezo

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your car is Bee-You-Tea-Full!

Now, having said that, I completely understand your dilemma. I have a 2017 R/T. It is Granite with the blacktop package. It looks amazing. It sounds amazing. I just wish it had a little more ummph. Another 25hp and I think it would be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts
Worth it as in? Adds value? Worth the performance?

A Guy

·
Registered
334 Posts
I too wish I could find my exact same car only scat pack. I am not a fan of the widebody, don't get me wrong they are beautiful but I fell in love with my body style long ago.

My problem is I have 3100 miles on my car, I bought the 10 year warranty with all the bells and whistles. I am pretty sure I am not going to find a 2018 F8 Scat Pack Shaker with less miles.

So here is my thoughts, maybe find a damaged scat pack and swap the engine or save up and buy the Hellephant :)

Or I am going to wait for the 2020/2021 shakeup and see what they are going to do to the Challenger lineup.

Your car is amazing, would be so hard to start over.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,749 Posts
Back to "Is it really worth adding performance mods to a rt like longtubes, tuner, etc.. ". There are many on here who have done it and will say yes. But those same people might say no if you mean $'s per HP. If you are trying to reach Scat levels, then it may not be worth it...but if you already have a R/T, and don't plan to just trade up to a Scat, modding your car is worth it if your expectations are right, and you enjoy modding, and getting some increased performance.

People modding usually have goals. They want to take it to the track to drag race. They want to take it to the track to do laps. They want it to look and sound awesome. They want to smile all the time when they see/drive it.

Mopar HP does not come cheap, and it's generally not one thing that needs to be added, it's a list of things that each has a high HP per$ number.

Judging by what you have done, you understand all this and had your goals...now you are looking for more :) If you know the reality of the expected gains, and the cost, then you should attain that goal, and be satisfied you got from it what you expected.

I word that carefully, because if you won't be satisfied overall because you want Scat power, you'll be adding and adding to approach that goal. I'm not one who likes a first reply of "get a Scat...get a Hellcat". Some enjoy the journey. But if you're certain your destination is likely out of reach, and you know you will eventually want to go there...get a Scat.

Your car is already a looker. Add some rumble, and it will sound more awesome too. But it will cast, and only you will be able to say if it's "worth it" ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
117 Posts

• I too wish I could find my exact same car only scat pack. I am not a fan of the widebody, don't get me wrong they are beautiful but I fell in love with my body style long ago.

My problem is I have 3100 miles on my car, I bought the 10 year warranty with all the bells and whistles. I am pretty sure I am not going to find a 2018 F8 Scat Pack Shaker with less miles.

So here is my thoughts, maybe find a damaged scat pack and swap the engine or save up and buy the Hellephant :)

Or I am going to wait for the 2020/2021 shakeup and see what they are going to do to the Challenger lineup.

Your car is amazing, would be so hard to start over.
    Not sure what you paid, but I got my scat new for $34K, not including interest, etc. The $10 per hp sale is still going on.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I recently upgraded my 2016 B5 Blue R/T Shaker with 13K miles for a 2019 B5 Blue Scat Pack Shaker. The incentives gave me the reason to move on up. Plus I wanted the blind spot and cross traffic warning systems. Android Auto has been a nice addition as well.

The 5.7L was fun to drive and sounded good, but the SP is a whole different animal. It's been like growing from a boy to a man. I start up the SP and wonder if the neighbors get a chill that I'm rolling out. :) I guess a Hellcat would be like moving up to a giant but I've never driven one and probably won't. I want to live.

The SP exhaust is deeper and meaner and the car just feels beefier. The throttle hyper-sensitivity is the one thing that I don't like about the SP but it's calming down as the transmission learns I don't want to do a burnout every time I leave a stop sign.

I had the 5.7 for a year and I've had the SP for 2 weeks so I'm still getting used to it. I just passed 500 miles so I can get on it a bit more and listen to that snarl as the gears change. I absolutely love that.

My bottom line? I got more than I expected with the upgrade. Maybe part of that was moving from a 2016 to a 2019 with newer technology but I'm very happy with the SP over the 5.7. I just have to calm down the bank account and let it know I love it for a couple of years to make it up. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
If your new Scat has the 245/45/20's, it's worth the upgrade to 275/40/20. The dealership let me keep my Demon rims with the 275's on them.
World of difference.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All valid points guys. Preciate all the advice and input. I might hold on to it for a little longer and see what the next couple of years has to offer.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
All valid points guys. Preciate all the advice and input. I might hold on to it for a little longer and see what the next couple of years has to offer.
I've had both. I happily drove my 5.7 RTC for 4 1/2 years. You can run the 5.7 on the street harder than a 392. ( Some will say you have to to keep a 392 in sight)

My point is, they are a fun ride.

Now, a SP is on another level. Whole different animal, but you can't drive it as hard for street use.

That said, unless you want to take a beating, keep yours like you stated, but for God's sake don't drive a 392!

It'll mess with your thinking all over again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is a disease that should be recognized and treated with some government program!
I bought a Scat and am selling it to buy a supercharged car hopefully only a Hellcat!
I am strung out on my dealers (FCA) horsepower offerings.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
This is a disease that should be recognized and treated with some government program!
I bought a Scat and am selling it to buy a supercharged car hopefully only a Hellcat!

Had it my whole life!, Looks like it ain't going anywhere, anytime soon...

HOT ROD ON..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts