Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at lunch, I'm driving my car for all of 2 minutes and the dash starts chiming. The tire pressure display comes up, and 3 of my tires are at 33-34 PSI, but my left front is at 25 PSI. I get home from work and take off the left front tire. I see nothing wrong with it. Thinking maybe it's a leaky valve, I go to the gas station to put more air in the tire to get me through today, so I can deal with it this weekend. I had my car running as I put air in the tire. I wanted to over inflate it a tad to buy me time, so I took it up to 40 PSI. I got in the car, and the left front is still reading 25 PSI, but the left rear is now reading 45 PSI. :eek: So I let air out of the left front tire, drove home and pulled the left rear. There was a screw in the middle of the tread, so I found my problem.

My question is this: Once you start rotating the tires, are these sensor's meaningless as far as to tell you which tire is low?

I'm just going to use a tire gauge before I take a wheel off again. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,415 Posts
The sensors take a half mile or so to settle to actual readings, they won't change instantly when you air one up. The TPMS sensors are all the same so tire location doesn't matter. Left front will always read left front for example. Not sure way yours read left front when it was left rear, that's odd. Air up all the tires the same and go for a ride. If all is good all the tires should read the same in a short distance...

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensors take a half mile or so to settle to actual readings, they won't change instantly when you air one up. The TPMS sensors are all the same so tire location doesn't matter. Left front will always read left front for example. Not sure way yours read left front when it was left rear, that's odd. Air up all the tires the same and go for a ride. If all is good all the tires should read the same in a short distance...
I appreciate the response.

Once I put the donut on my rear yesterday, it was showing no tire pressure in the left front at all, which is understandable since the donut spare has no TPMS.

So, I'm as confused as ever, but all is well here. I got the tire patched. I just don't trust the air pressure readings for each tire until I put a tire gauge on it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not always the case . I run across some TPM's that are location sensitive . Another words you have to reprogram them when you move the tire location.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
You have to re-learn the car to them after rotating, so the car knows which sensor is at which wheel. They will work anywhere, but the car learns which serial number is at which location, so if you move them, you need to tell the car.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,910 Posts
You have to re-learn the car to them after rotating, so the car knows which sensor is at which wheel. They will work anywhere, but the car learns which serial number is at which location, so if you move them, you need to tell the car.
How is this done?

·
Registered
15,916 Posts
The car supposed to relearn by itself. Maybe the older ones don't but I've rotated my tires and they read correctly and never did anything.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 72/340

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,034 Posts
Every time I have rotated my tires, they correct themselves withing a few miles. Just note the original numbers (unless they are all the same, lol), and notice when they switch up after rotating and driving a while

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
909 Posts
The TPMS system normally takes a few minutes or miles to adjust to tire rotation or changing to race wheels (which have no sensors). All sensors in my car indicate 3 PSI higher than actual while the system in my Ram is spot on. TPMS is great but not a substitute for a good tire pressure gauge.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,627 Posts
How is this done?
Not sure, maybe as others say, the car re-learns automatically.
I got the impression that you rotated your tires long before this happened and if it was automatic, it would have relearned already, correct?
I have not done a modern Mopar. My old 2002 T&C Limited you used a magnet, after entering learn mode. My GMs were either by letting air out to signal it, or using a TPMS tool to trigger it (I have the magnet, and the tool) Every car is different, and even within a manufacture they change. Best way (if they can) is take your car to Walmart, $10 tire rotation, and they have the tools to reset/relearn most cars. Like any place, each one is different, the small local Walmart near me has actual car guys working there and seem like they care, another one near me, no way I would take my car there unless I was standing next to it the whole time.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,910 Posts
Not sure, maybe as others say, the car re-learns automatically.
I got the impression that you rotated your tires long before this happened and if it was automatic, it would have relearned already, correct?
I have not done a modern Mopar. My old 2002 T&C Limited you used a magnet, after entering learn mode. My GMs were either by letting air out to signal it, or using a TPMS tool to trigger it (I have the magnet, and the tool) Every car is different, and even within a manufacture they change. Best way (if they can) is take your car to Walmart, $10 tire rotation, and they have the tools to reset/relearn most cars. Like any place, each one is different, the small local Walmart near me has actual car guys working there and seem like they care, another one near me, no way I would take my car there unless I was standing next to it the whole time.
Well.....the oldest MOPAR I’ve owned with TPMS has been a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, and it always relearned on its own, as well as the 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and the current 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, amongst other cars, including my previous 2016 Challenger SXT Plus. I didn’t know if anything had changed post 2016.

Additionally......my 2018 Challenger T/A is only at 3,100 miles or so currently, purchased April 28th this year. It will be another 2,000 or so before I rotate them.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess whatever is reading my tire pressure, took a long vacation. I rotated these tires in late July.

Thanks for all the replies. It's no big deal. I just from now on will use a tire pressure gauge to verify what the screen on my dash is telling me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts