Dodge Challenger Forum banner

I'm at 3500 miles and still no change oil light... am i screwed?

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  BriscoCounty 
#1 ·
2011 SE, I was going to switch to mobile one Syn in about a week anyway. Should I be worried?

#2 ·
My came on at 3,900... I just went to the dealer a change it, nobody say anything about it so I did not worry. :smokin:

#4 ·
Mine comes on about every 6000 miles in my 2010 SE.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm out there right now at 6k, and no sign of a change light. For all I know, I got another 3000 mi coming to me since 4200 mi were spent on massive 24 hr road marathon trips between CA and TX. Of course, I would never wait that long!

#8 · (Edited)
It's completely duty cycle dependent. It has no idea when 6000 mi or 6 mos rolls around. Those 2 numbers are essentially what we are officially told to do in the manual and potentially to remain in compliance for warranty purposes.

#10 ·
My first oil change light came on at 5500 miles, but I had already changed the oil at 3000 miles. I just reset the light and will continue to change the oil every 3000 miles.

#11 ·
For the life of me, I have yet to ever see the change oil light come on in all of 21,000 mi. The light could be broken, and I would never know it.

#12 ·
Same here Randycat. Never had mine come on and just over 21K like you.

Jack

#13 · (Edited)
I do mean to say that I have been changing anyway at 6000 mi/6 mos marks, though (along with the 3 pedal-stomp oil reset at each change). I certainly haven't waited 21k mi to see a light go on. :)

Just once I would have liked to see it come on, just so I know it is actually monitoring and working...

#14 ·
The warranty guy showed me the oil change schedule in my maintenance section of the owners manual for 6 months/6K miles oil change schedule using synthetic. I have the 6.1L. My wife's 5.7 Jeep shows every 8K miles. I change it every 3K anyway. I would switch the Jeep to synthetic, but I get free regular oil changes for three years on it from the dealer. Once that's up, synthetic it is.

#27 ·
:bigthumb:
No one else responded yet, so I'll give you credit for a decent joke. Always need a laugh or two, especially on these forums. Some get so uptight over how often some one else changes the oil in their OWN car!!!

Me, 2600 miles so far and no light, and wouldn't expect it. I'll go another month or 2 then probably take it in for its first.

#16 ·
I found the earlier comment about that extremely sexist, as well.

#17 ·
Just change it... no need to wait for the computer to tell you (as others have said).

Only way you'll be screwed if you wait for the light to come on, and it never does...

Mike

#19 ·
I don't know if my 09 SE has this feature as I have never seen a oil change indicator...change mine Q 5000 miles on my own

#21 ·
I add a drop of fish oil at changes to keep my challenger healthy

#23 ·
Oil? What do you mean, change the oil? Where?

I was going to leave it at that and let you guys jump on me, but I don't want to play troll. My dad, being the general manager at my uncle's Dodge dealership would represent the company when people took us to court for engines that would seize up with no oil in the engine. He would win every time. Guess the judge also had no patience for people that would just drive and not be responsible for maintaining a car.

My SE has never showed a light either. That is what the odometer is for. My wife's 2010 Mustang has a read out that tells her to change after it reaches 6 months. It bothers her just because it is in her face and won't go away unless she presses the reset or one of the three buttons on the dash to cycle the odometer readout. The book tells the owner how to reset the counter if you want to avoid the message. You guys must be talking about R/T's and SRT's with EVICs, right? I'm still looking for a dealer to change my oil that can also turn on my DRL.

#25 ·
Does AutoZone sell that stuff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.