Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys - tonight I board the one-way flight to Charlotte, NC [Mount Holly to be more specific]

Looking forward to meeting the CT members around in the area and seeing the shows, cruise-ins and I suspect an active car culture.

Here in Portland, OR there's a decent car enthusiast group - but with the regional attitudes of making it more and more unfriendly to cars:

- active discussions on tolls (instead of widening freeways that were inadequate 30 years ago)
- dropping speed limits from already low limits
- potholes...and do I mean potholes, everywhere
- the bicycle lobby pushing to cut down lanes in favor of bike lanes (remember it rains a lot avg 221 days of precip, leaving and avg of 144 days of sun) that frequently don't see much use with the weather
- drivers that are simply put - not up to the task of driving [very passive - aggressive behavior]

The deciding factor after more than 10 years was a really lackluster job market and career opportunities...

So Charlotte, here I come!

My '16 SPS "Rosso" and my '01 Benz CLK "Klaus" are in transit (enclosed carrier) and due to arrive this coming Monday - Tuesday. Not bad to travel 2,800 mi within 7 days' time...

I have a pay-per-mile insurance setup and the cars have a dongle that plugs into the ODB-II port...I can see by GPS where they are. Earlier today, they were just outside Denver, CO

Anyway - I'll have a short "blackout" as I won't have internet service until Sunday am

See everyone real soon. If any of you spot a Torred 'SPS with '71 style R/T stripes [Black / Ruby Red leather interior] that's me...

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
495 Posts
Have a safe trip. Welcome to the Southeast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a safe trip. Welcome to the Southeast

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know JAX quite well - my dad and the relatives on that side of the family live in SE Georgia - I could practically drive to the airport from dads town (90 mi away) with my eyes closed - now I'm close enough to drive vs. 12 hour trip (with time difference between PST and EST time zones thrown in).

So looking foward to warmer weather and getting away from 5 - 7 days at a time of endless drizzly weather. Even in the summer it was touch and go to plan car shows since it could rain in any of the 12 months of the year in the Pacific NW.

And to think I complained about the foggy weather when I lived in SF for almost two decades.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Good luck with the move.....60 miles north of me lol...Gastonia Dodge/Ram/Jeep and Hendrick are your destinations...and Charlotte Motor speedway and the drag strip and the dirt track...and the Panthers...and the lake and the river...and the barbecue....

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Safe flying, friend.

California isn't much better besides the weather, can't wait to move out one day myself.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Welcome to the Queen City Hal
You’ll love the car seen here
Check out Queen City Challengers. Very active and a nice bunch. Tomorrow it’s the Pettys Garage cruise in. Check out their FB page. Let me know if you need anything.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Safe trip Hal. I hope you enjoy your new surroundings ;)

A Guy

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
welcome to the south, where common sense still exist, get ready to love sweet tea, the mountains etc
hell you can get 100 octanes at the pumps here>:)

for real.....

and we have some of the most fun roads to get lost on.....

Tail Of The Dragon

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I lived in California for 20 years; moved back to the Pacific Northwest a year ago. I drove between Los Angeles and Vancouver, BC, twice a year. You describe Oregon driving to a tee: slow and passive-aggressive. If I could have flown my car between the California and Washington State borders, I would happily have done so. Driving through Portland traffic I saw it get worse and worse every year. Seattle has gotten pretty bad, too. But at least you still find signs of intelligent life behind the wheel around Washington State.

Despite the infamous traffic congestion in and around California's large cities, I miss driving there: drivers like to keep a good pace, and you will find a road taking you pretty much anywhere.

I have relocated several times. It can be very exciting. Best of luck in this new chapter!

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Best to you Hal, and for all the reasons you listed, it sounds like the right move.

Enjoy the new area. It's a whole different "world" and better place IMO.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
You pulled the trigger, right on! Let me know if you have any questions about the area. I've been living back and forth between Charlotte and FL for a while and do miss the Carolinas now that I'm settled back in FL. I've said this before but I truly believe the Carolinas are the sweet spot in the U.S. Tea and Southern hospitality aside even... Great people, low cost of living, coast, mountains, and fantastic weather. Plus, the car culture in Charlotte is the best I've ever seen. For obvious reasons... Visit R.K Motors on a Saturday (appt only on weekdays) and be prepared to be blown away! The Zach Reynolds '71 original Hemi 'Cuda (million and a half $ car) will knock your socks off.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Safe travels & good luck on your relocation!

North Carolina is on our initial list of retirement locales

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Good luck with the move.....60 miles north of me lol...Gastonia Dodge/Ram/Jeep and Hendrick are your destinations...and Charlotte Motor speedway and the drag strip and the dirt track...and the Panthers...and the lake and the river...and the barbecue....
Good to know about the dealer in Gastonia - as that's nearby.

I closed escrow on Friday, dropped off my cable provider hardware and caught a red eye to Charlotte from Portland.

All went fine except for the extremely chatty people across the aisle that kept yakking until ~ 1am time. I felt a bit out of body from the jet lag and not getting that much sleep.

The roads - they are so much smoother and quieter that the aggregate-pressed-into-asphalt stuff Oregon used in the past. And no potholes - which new one seemed to appear day to day in Portland.

My cars are due to arrive Monday - Tuesday this week...looking forward to that.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the Queen City Hal
You’ll love the car seen here
Check out Queen City Challengers. Very active and a nice bunch. Tomorrow it’s the Pettys Garage cruise in. Check out their FB page. Let me know if you need anything.
I'll have to set myself up on FB - I've held off all these years, but many clubs seem to use that exclusively vs. web site.

I can just see showing up in my "Florida special" rental - white Caddy CTS with light leather interior, and yes, it has FL plates. All its missing is the very dark tint that most FL cars seem to have. I don't want my first impression to be in that...

BTW the Caddy's CUE - awful. The uConnect system is intuitive to use and the voice recognition works so much better.

GM wanted a sleek looking futuristic dash - but it compromised the functionality - a lot. You can only input Nav instructions / destination by voice...which it gets easily confused a lot.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
welcome to the south, where common sense still exist, get ready to love sweet tea, the mountains etc
hell you can get 100 octanes at the pumps here>:)

for real.....

and we have some of the most fun roads to get lost on.....
And you can buy non-ethanol gas at "regular" stations instead of trying to find the secret hiding places (as Oregon did and charged $$).

The sweet tea - in GA (dad and relatives on that side are) I always order it half sweet / half unsweetened - its as if they dumped the entire jar of honey into that tea!

And barbeque - I'm looking forward to that...there was all this "precious" and expensive stuff in Portland as well as the hipster food carts. Imagine NYC prices in a town that definitely isn't NYC.

Standing outside in 38* in the rain to have pricey deep fried novelty food in Portland? No thanks - never was interested didn't bother with it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've lived in the Charlotte area for over 20 years. It's grown considerably during that time. I prefer lots of land and few neighbors so I moved out to York County in SC. Very quiet. Very little congestion. Quick access to Gastonia and SW Charlotte when I want someone different to eat or need to do some shopping.

Be careful with your Challenger though. The parking spaces in Charlotte are at least 1 foot narrower than anywhere else in the country.

The sweet tea almost everywhere around here is nothing but tea flavored sugar water. I do about 98% unsweet and 2% sweet and it's usually just about right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts