Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..to possible buy soon and would like some advice. I finally found the perfect Challenger that has every single option I have been looking for. Its a 2010 HO RT with the manual trans plus the rest of the other options I want, (all stock, wheels, Nav, no sunroof etc) but it has about 110k miles. The price is a hair over $12k obo and the car is out of state plus I will have access to a lift to look it over. I am mechanically inclined and could fix just about anything and i'm not really afraid of higher mileage cars as long as I know whats wrong with it.

My question is what are the 'out of the ordinary' specific things to look for in a higher mile challenger RT- other than leaks, and worn bushings? I've read about the rust areas, fickle 6m transmissions and the timing chain recall which I don't believe this car has due to the 6m. These cars seem to be pretty good past 100k miles from what I've seen.. but I would like to get more info.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
other than the rust from insulation around the wheel wells I would also check for the clutch sticking issue, 2nd gear synchro problem, and make sure the hard drive in the 730N is still good.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,202 Posts
X2, check for any rust bubbles around the rear wheel wells, especially just in front of them.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Header orange is a great color! Be sure to join our local Challenger club if you pick it up! :) NMC3.org

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Make sure the axle boots / seals don't leak.

Check / test drive to make sure diff. is quiet. We're dealing with the Getrag limited slip unit with the M6.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Make sure the axle boots / seals don't leak.

Check / test drive to make sure diff. is quiet. We're dealing with the Getrag limited slip unit with the M6.
^what Hal said.
Quite a few of us had the getrag ls replaced under warranty after hearing a whining noise when up to temp between 50-60 mph.
I would also advise to replace the rear gear oil with RP Max ATF, it has better heat dissipation properties than the stock oil.
I put RP in the replacement diff and haven't had any more issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks guys for the info. I hadn't though about the diff or the 730n unit. Those parts would be an expensive fix.

I'm hoping to go look at it in the next week or so, hopefully it wont sell before I can check it out. I already missed out on 2 cars because I couldn't get there fast enough. Seem like all the good deals are 500+ miles away from here...
@Eric G. I sure will join up with you guys, looks like a fun group of guys and MuscleCarProf is right, it is hemi orange! :wink3:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Cool, thanks guys for the info. I hadn't though about the diff or the 730n unit. Those parts would be an expensive fix.

I'm hoping to go look at it in the next week or so, hopefully it wont sell before I can check it out. I already missed out on 2 cars because I couldn't get there fast enough. Seem like all the good deals are 500+ miles away from here...

@Eric G. I sure will join up with you guys, looks like a fun group of guys and MuscleCarProf is right, it is hemi orange! :wink3:
"I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me..."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"I'm the Dude, so that's what you call me..."
"or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing' :grin2:

Well just an update to this thread if anyone is wondering. I went to look at the car a few days ago and passed on it as it looked like it had been rode hard and put away wet, sadly. The clutch was just about gone as it engaged at the very top of the pedal and the motor had what sounded like a light knock. I didn't even make an offer I was too disappointed.
Yeah I could've fixed the problems but I just didn't get a good vibe off the car either- which I have learned to listen to from past experiences. It was hard to walk away from what I once though was the perfect car but oh well, there will be others. It just means I can continue to save more money up for the next one. :smile:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
"or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing' :grin2:

Well just an update to this thread if anyone is wondering. I went to look at the car a few days ago and passed on it as it looked like it had been rode hard and put away wet, sadly. The clutch was just about gone as it engaged at the very top of the pedal and the motor had what sounded like a light knock. I didn't even make an offer I was too disappointed.
Yeah I could've fixed the problems but I just didn't get a good vibe off the car either- which I have learned to listen to from past experiences. It was hard to walk away from what I once though was the perfect car but oh well, there will be others. It just means I can continue to save more money up for the next one. :smile:
you made the right call. With that many miles the clutch was probably about done, and it runs about $2k to have a clutch replaced (ask me how I know lol).
The knock could have been the infamous 'hemi tick' due to slack in the valve train. The 'tick' on my 5.7 went away after I had about 5k miles on the odo.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
There are plenty of used Challengers out there. The downside (and upside) is that they tend to hold their value more than Mustangs and Camaros so you have to pay a little more. It's worth it though. Lots of them out there with lower miles that you could still find in your price range. Could depend on the size of your market, and you may have to drive a little, but you'll find something. Keep us updated.

The Dude abides.... I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts