Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless something comes up, I plan to make it to the first test-n-tune at Keystone tonight. I could use some launch tips, looking for something tame/safe just to see what I end up at by the end of the ¼ mile. This is by far the quickest car I have ever taken to the strip, and I know from experience in other cars with less power, and from videos of these, traction on launch can easily be a problem. I was planning on doing a 2nd gear launch from idle rolling on power 1st trip and going from there. Probably leave everything turned on as well traction control wise at first.
Hoping for a 12.x" and a 100+mph.
Is anyone else in the area going?

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, I'm going. Should be there before 6pm, and not sure when I'll make a pass.

·
Registered
203 Posts
First advice is get used to doing things exactly the same. Go up make 2 or runs runs that are close in et and 60' times. Then make one change, shift points, launch rpm's, etc. And get 2 or 3 runs that are close. If you went quicker change it a little more in that direction and repeat. Till it slows down. When you are happy with your progress. Go back to your starting point and see if you can duplicate your early (base line) runs.
It takes time but this is the only way to actually get the car to go consistently quicker.
I did this for a living (very successfully). This is the way any good drag racer learns about what works and what doesn't. If you make a change and it slows up. You still learned something. Also record the weather conditions, The air density has a lot to do with horsepower. You can make a change and go quicker But if the air improved a lot. The change could have actually cost you power.
The main thing is do it consistently. And if your spinning the tires you are just wasting your time.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell I'll be lucky to make 2 runs. 1.5 hours and street cars haven't started running yet. I was hoping for a quick run or two then get the he'll outta here, grab some dogz and go home.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First run. Launched in 2nd with everything on. 13.0 at 110mph. Pleased with the 110! I will try to launch hard with traction off in 2nd, or 1st with everything on next. Damn modified Hellcat Charger here ran a 10.2 at 141!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can't wait to get a couple runs in. I am going to Quaker City Motorsports Park in Salem, Ohio, about an hour away. I haven't been there in over 25 years, or any track, but I got the itch now. Keystone is just about 90 minutes away, so maybe we'll meet up there some time. I've been in your neck of the woods before. My wife has relatives in Dickerson Run.
If you are attending Carlisle this year, I'll be in there the entire weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't wait to get a couple runs in. I am going to Quaker City Motorsports Park in Salem, Ohio, about an hour away. I haven't been there in over 25 years, or any track, but I got the itch now. Keystone is just about 90 minutes away, so maybe we'll meet up there some time. I've been in your neck of the woods before. My wife has relatives in Dickerson Run.
If you are attending Carlisle this year, I'll be in there the entire weekend.
I do plan on Carlisle, I booked a room just in case, but I might cancel it and just drive each day. Tonight is a fiasco here, keep shutting down to clean up or something...
Still only 1 run!
Luckily I am 20 minutes from home here so I got that going for me.

I finally got a 2nd run at 11pm, 3 hours after the first.
This time I did a small burnout, traction control fully off, 2nd gear start. I launched harder and it felt Real Good, ended up with a 12.6475 at 111.58. I am very pleased with that on highway tread tires for my first time out in an actual quick car.
Also on both runs the in car timer matched the time slips! And it said I did 0-60 in 4.5.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like fun, and I know you had a good time! Very respectable times too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's a shame you can't get more runs in. Maybe you could try to get in on a track rental day.
I haven't been to PIR in over 40 years. If I remember correctly, they carved it out of the side of a mountain. It was a long ride for us, and they didn't offer much in the prize money.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Glad you had fun. Sucks sometimes at the track Test N Tune when you wait hours in between runs.

Anyway on Street tires it's hard to get to know what your car actually can do.

Next time you plan your drag night , I strongly suggest grabbing a pair or 9.5 x 20 inch wheels stock Dodge wheels like the Hellcat wheel or any of the Dynamics packs wheels/ Daytona , T/A wheels and put a set of Drag Radials on them in the 275/40ZR20 size. Nitto and Nexen both make good tires for this setup.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a question about the second gear launches. Do you do that because of traction?. I would think at close to 4,000 pounds you would need all the gear you could muster, to get the car rolling. If it's a traction thing, a pair of real racing slicks should be a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a question about the second gear launches. Do you do that because of traction?. I would think at close to 4,000 pounds you would need all the gear you could muster, to get the car rolling. If it's a traction thing, a pair of real racing slicks should be a worthwhile investment.
The only reason to launch in 2nd gear is exactly that, traction. I can't imagine this is the best way to get your best run. It seems more like a bandaid for poor traction.

I have not been to the drag strip yet with the Scat pack yet but I have been to the drag strip with many different vehicles. I have never ever used this technic as I always had good traction with the setup I was using.

These cars have amazing low end torque and blow the tires easily. So if you plan on drag racing I believe using a drag Radial or slick is the only way to go. Why fight with traction?

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep on the street you can melt them in 2nd as well,right? And 2nd really is still a high ratio. 1st is useless unless you (I) manage the throttle perfectly. And launch really doesn't tell you much about power, which is what I really wanted to experience and the 111mph showed. I wasn't even hoping for over 110, and while I said I just wanted under 13 I really wanted under 12.75 or so for actually down into the 12s. And it felt like a very strong launch and the shifts went by so quickly. I will probably not go back, I had my fun. And definitely would not buy drag radials. Plus there was a Taurus SHO that ran 12.7 (with high boost tune) at maybe 108? So nice to know I edged it out. And the Best Part? That 2nd run was against a newer Camaro, which I beat. Don't know what it was, but it had fancy brakes/calipers and was a sharp car, looked good in my mirror anyway!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yep on the street you can melt them in 2nd as well,right? And 2nd really is still a high ratio. 1st is useless unless you (I) manage the throttle perfectly. And launch really doesn't tell you much about power, which is what I really wanted to experience and the 111mph showed. I wasn't even hoping for over 110, and while I said I just wanted under 13 I really wanted under 12.75 or so for actually down into the 12s. And it felt like a very strong launch and the shifts went by so quickly. I will probably not go back, I had my fun. And definitely would not buy drag radials. Plus there was a Taurus SHO that ran 12.7 (with high boost tune) at maybe 108? So nice to know I edged it out. And the Best Part? That 2nd run was against a newer Camaro, which I beat. Don't know what it was, but it had fancy brakes/calipers and was a sharp car, looked good in my mirror anyway!
Glad you enjoyed it. If you go back in the fall when it's cooler you will go faster and probably quicker. Cooler air equals more horsepower.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you enjoyed it. If you go back in the fall when it's cooler you will go faster and probably quicker. Cooler air equals more horsepower.
It was in the 60s maybe lower. My 2nd run was 11pm:(

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just left Keystone for race day and it was a cluster F.
Yeah, it is a bummer when you just sit and wait. I know there was at least 1 time where it was 45 minutes or more with zero passes.

Here is the timeslip from the final (2nd) run.
Aslo, both runs the in car Timer matched the track's timeslips. It said 12.6 @ 111.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts