Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 2000 miles. I was doing 1mph. Pulled out and the white car tried to whip around two other ones and I did a "front "swipe". Still looks like it's going to be my fault, even though she was in the oncoming lane. I could cry.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Wow, that sucks, sorry to hear. Hope you get it fixed up soon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yikes! That looks bad but it seems like the it's just fender, bumper, grill, wheel well cap, and headlight unit will be replaced. Nothing structural seems bent. That white Chevy Lumina (with new black pin stripes)in the background must be the other car. Good luck on getting it fix.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yikes! That looks bad but it seems like the it's just fender, bumper, grill, wheel well cap, and headlight unit will be replaced. Nothing structural seems bent. That white Chevy Lumina (with new black pin stripes)in the background must be the other car. Good luck on getting it fix.
Yeah, unfortunately, the way they're built these days... the exterior is like gift wrapping. All of the heavy work is under the surface. Front cap, I'd imagine. Nothing touched the tire and the sub-frame, panels, everything is solid - nothing structural at all. It just hurts.

Resale just went into the toilet. :cry:

Now, I'm worried about repairs resulting in pinched wires that'll turn into bugs and issues that I'll experience until the end of time.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Ouch. I feel for you man.

·
Registered
410 Posts
:argh:That really sucks! Hope you're fixed & rollin' soon!

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately, the way they're built these days... the exterior is like gift wrapping. All of the heavy work is under the surface. Front cap, I'd imagine. Nothing touched the tire and the sub-frame, panels, everything is solid - nothing structural at all. It just hurts.

Resale just went into the toilet. :cry:

Now, I'm worried about repairs resulting in pinched wires that'll turn into bugs and issues that I'll experience until the end of time.
The repair will turn out fine, most importantly you're not injured. Post pictures of it perfect again, good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Yea, as bad as it looks it appears that you got lucky, nothing structural damaged. The worse part is that this is going to wind up on a CarFax report... the kiss of resale death. :cry:

·
Registered
610 Posts
ouchh ... make sure you dont take it to the dealer.. and find some bodyshop that does muscle cars or high end cars like ferraris or bugattis

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
that sucks...hope it gets fixed up without issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Still looks like it's going to be my fault, even though she was in the oncoming lane. I could cry.
Did it happen in MS? I am a investigating claim rep for an insurance company and I admit do not know MS laws but it is what they call a "pure comparative negligence" state for liability in auto accidents. Basically means that whatever percentage you contributed to the accident is what the other party recoups (if your 70% at fault, they get 70% of their damage from you, but the flip side, you would get 30% of your damages from them) . So it will matter on what the passing laws are in the state and if the right of way on the main roadway is absolute or not (some states doesnt matter if your acting like an idiot, if you are on the main roadway may be allowed to act like an idiot). I would check out what the the local statutes are for the area and how the road is set up, hopefully some witnesses stepped forward. And then would stay all over your insurance company, make sure they go to bat for you / if you dont feel they are, kick it up the chain of command. Good luck man.

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Yea, as bad as it looks it appears that you got lucky, nothing structural damaged. The worse part is that this is going to wind up on a CarFax report... the kiss of resale death. :cry:
When the time to trade comes you bring pictures and paperwork to prove is was cosmetic only and don't let them give you the story of "but it was in an accident". They do that more to buy it for a song from you and then resell it for more profit. Unless a car was structurally compromised it won't be a risk to buy. If the shop does a great job its good as new.
They tried that on me for a bumper cover replacement that show on Carfax and I looked him in the face and told him he was an ass and asked his boss for a real salesman.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Hmmm...sorry, but these photos will hardly serve to win an argument that the damage was cosmetic.

Although it may be technically correct, these photos will look pretty gruesome to the average bystander.

This has to totally suck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We're on the mend. Few weeks, we'll be back to beautiful.

Looks like cosmetic damage. No structural damage, no wheel damage - shop manager said that this wreck was a lucky one. It's thus far, bolt-on-repair and paint. Everyone from the towing company, insurance company, dealership has been spectacular and exceptionally reassuring. Lesson learned - if you're sick, try not to drive. Especially one of these beasts in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The repair will turn out fine, most importantly you're not injured. Post pictures of it perfect again, good luck.
Looking forward to that! Yeah, she's going to be beautiful again soon. Sure do love these cars. Kenny, the shop manager told me "Well, believe it or not, we've repaired quite a few of these" (straight face until the end, then looks at me with a smirky "duh" look - LOL!!). Can't imagine why. :icon_lol:

I'd mentioned in another post that I was going to have those decals and war stripes pulled. Well, hell. At least I won't have to worry about inconsistency in the paint without them now. He asked me for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and told me that she'd be gorgeous when I come to get her. He also said that I was welcome to pop in as often as I'd like to check in on her. Right before I left, he patted me on the shoulder and said "Try not to worry - you'll be happy when it's done".

I thought that was really cool. I think he appreciates them as much as we do. :banger:

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Looking forward to that! Yeah, she's going to be beautiful again soon. Sure do love these cars. Kenny, the shop manager told me "Well, believe it or not, we've repaired quite a few of these" (straight face until the end, then looks at me with a smirky "duh" look - LOL!!). Can't imagine why. :icon_lol:

I'd mentioned in another post that I was going to have those decals and war stripes pulled. Well, hell. At least I won't have to worry about inconsistency in the paint without them now. He asked me for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and told me that she'd be gorgeous when I come to get her. He also said that I was welcome to pop in as often as I'd like to check in on her. Right before I left, he patted me on the shoulder and said "Try not to worry - you'll be happy when it's done".

I thought that was really cool. I think he appreciates them as much as we do. :banger:
Looks better already. If you ever considered it, now is the time to install halo's since the nose will be off. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Man, it hurt to see it and then it hurt more to see it on the flat bed.

Sounds like its in good hands if they have no problem having you pop in and visit.

You'll be back on the road in no time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts