Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pleased with the addition of my front strut tower brace.

I've always felt that the Challenger felt "solid" as is. Felt that it was built like a tank.

I've read most of the threads regarding front strut tower braces, heard all of the comments, and thought to myself, sure, it can't hurt, but there's probably not a noticeable difference for a street driven car, and most comments were by folks still on the "honeymoon" stage of their latest mod.

I was wrong.

I installed a Mopar unit last weekend, and didn't get a chance to get it our for a good drive until today. Took it about 50 miles through my local country "windies and hills" that I'm used to, and drove it the same as I usually do. The posted speed limit, plus 10/15 or so. I'm not a "road track" guy on the public roads, and this is the reason that I thought I didn't need or want a brace.

Like I said, I'm not easily impressed, however............

There is a noticeable difference in the feel of the car. The ride is the same, but the front end just feels beefier or more stable. More rigid I guess is a fair description.

The steering response is better too. I couldn't believe that a strut tower brace could affect how the steering feels.

So, I am impressed with the Mopar brace, and I'm glad that I added this mod to my R/T. It's not a "night and day" difference, but to me, it was a noticeable difference for the good.

I'm impressed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good to hear. I've been pondering the brace as well as the rear brace. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I added it to mine as well but when i did it , i also upgraded front and reat sway bars .... all 3 at the same time .. hard to say how good the strut bar was alone ... but night and day with all 3 done .... all i can say from how it was to now ... [email protected]#$%#@able and now its also lowered

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
How much do they cost?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I too recently installed a strut bar. I went with the Drake brace.

I'm very happy with the results, initial turn in is flatter and the car's steering is more precise.

I have owned my Challenger for over 2 years and accumulated 17K miles before installing the strut brace, so the difference to me was noticeable.

IMO Dodge should be installing these from the factory.

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too recently installed a strut bar. I went with the Drake brace.

I'm very happy with the results, initial turn in is flatter and the car's steering is more precise.

I have owned my Challenger for over 2 years and accumulated 17K miles before installing the strut brace, so the difference to me was noticeable.

IMO Dodge should be installing these from the factory.
I bought my R/TC last Sept, and have a little over 7500 miles. The car hasn't loosened up any compared to when I first brought it home, and that's another reason I was skeptic about adding a strut brace.

I felt that the car was solid, and in my 40+ years of being a "hearhead", I've heard all sorts of BIG "claims" for the latest and greatest product that is a "must have" way too many times

I just figured that Chrysler would have put this on if it was really needed, or made a reasonable improvement, especially on a R/T or SRT.

I understand that every penny counts in Detroit, and I'm sure that many drivers could care less about a strut brace, so I just stayed skeptical about them.

I'm sure that any brand brace will help, if designed correctly, and every brand has its' advantages and disadvantages as far as cost and installation ease.

I posted this in R/T specific beacause that's what I have, but I would think that an SE or SRT would benefit too, with the same results as I have experienced.

Moparman53, I bought mine at a local dealer for $309.00, and it took less than a 1/2 hour to install. A few wrenches and sockets, and a cordless drill with a new sharp bit for the holes through the factory cross brace, and it was done.

On a side note, it looks pretty cool too:)

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
There is no doubt they stiffen up the flex in these cars...
I recently changed out the suspension on my wifes 300c and when I jacked up the front on one side, the other side was still on the ground. And the rear on the same side barely moved at all. Contrast that with when I added the 2011 spoiler to my Mopar'10. I jacked it up from the same spot, to the same height as I did the 300c. When I looked over at the other side the drivers side tire was maybe 1 1/2 inch lower than the passenger side and the passenger "rear" tire was about 1" off the ground as well.

Granted the Mopar'10 has both a front and a rear strut bar; but still...
The only other car I have that is stiff enough to lift 3 wheels is my Road Runner and that has an old 6-point Roll bar stiffening up all 4 corners of the body.

And the Mopar'10 is still tighter in the turns than the upgraded 300c...
Even though the Challenger only has a STP suspension... and the 300 has a SRT suspension with a STP 20mm rear sway.
But the 300c does NOT have a front or rear strut bar in it.... yet

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm pleased with the addition of my front strut tower brace.

I've always felt that the Challenger felt "solid" as is. Felt that it was built like a tank.

I've read most of the threads regarding front strut tower braces, heard all of the comments, and thought to myself, sure, it can't hurt, but there's probably not a noticeable difference for a street driven car, and most comments were by folks still on the "honeymoon" stage of their latest mod.

I was wrong.

I installed a Mopar unit last weekend, and didn't get a chance to get it our for a good drive until today. Took it about 50 miles through my local country "windies and hills" that I'm used to, and drove it the same as I usually do. The posted speed limit, plus 10/15 or so. I'm not a "road track" guy on the public roads, and this is the reason that I thought I didn't need or want a brace.

Like I said, I'm not easily impressed, however............

There is a noticeable difference in the feel of the car. The ride is the same, but the front end just feels beefier or more stable. More rigid I guess is a fair description.

The steering response is better too. I couldn't believe that a strut tower brace could affect how the steering feels.

So, I am impressed with the Mopar brace, and I'm glad that I added this mod to my R/T. It's not a "night and day" difference, but to me, it was a noticeable difference for the good.

I'm impressed.
I installed the Mopar front strut brace and about a month later the Mopar front & rear sway bars on my 2010 srt 6spd very noticeable (stock bars on SRT & R/T are the same )

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I've got the rear brace on my "shortlist". Thinking over which "style"???????

·
Banned
368 Posts
How much do they cost?
I ordered the Petty Racing Brace....even comes in our Furious Fuchsia color. It is less than the MOPAR brace, however I do understand the value of a MOPAR part and the CARB#.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Thanks, guys. It's on my list.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I just installed the petty garage srt brace, paintd in Toxic Orange. Easy install, and looks great. I havent driven it yet, but will in about 15 mins............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts