Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset with me right now.

Took the car out this a.m. to mail a letter. Lots on my mind, started to park along the road, then thought better. Went around a turn, and caught the curb with the rear wheel. Hoped for the best but with these low profile tires, I knew better.

Anyhow, got out, and there was what appeared to be a chunk out of the edge of my rim. Not just a rash mind you, a chunk. I felt like screaming but I was downtown.

Came home, got a punch, hammer, file, and my dremel tool and went to work. I certainly can still see it easily, but it's not so noticeable now to others. The dremel really came through with polishing it back up. I'll just need to get some clear coat to re-coat the damaged area.

Anyhow, my Challenger now has it's first "ding". I guess better there than the body, but as someone that parks 20 spaces from anything and prides himself on driving and parking skills, I never thought this would happen to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The first scratch hurts the most but itzrick is right, could've been a lot worse. About a month ago I was taking a short drive on a nice day when the roads had dried and ran over some aluminum flashing laying in the road. The air pressure sucked it up and it made a scratch by the rear license plate. Some buffing and polishing and it's invisible unless I really look up close at it. My rationale is that it's a driver, not a garage queen so the little dings and scratches will happen.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If it makes you feel better here is my first ding. And yes I did it my self.

I went to kirklands and bought a rather large painting to hang in our house. I should have taken the jeep but I love driving my car so we took it. After discovering that the painting wouldn't fit in the trunk, I layed the passenger seat down to attempt to stick it in the back seat. I dont know how the piss I did this but I ran the painting's corner right into the side of my flimsy door at a very slow speed. Of course it left a dent, I just sat on the curb. My wife was concerned that I wasn't speaking...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you guys. I was so mad I literally saw red. Almost popped a vein in my forehead. Of course, all the anger was at myself. Crazy emotions, from first ones of total disbelief I could do that, to remorse, and then being resolved to making the best out of a bad situation.

Should have taken a picture before I worked on it, but was too depressed. I've actually gotten it 90% better than it was, but it's still obvious it's hit something. I was amazed at the miracle of a dremel tool.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I hear you guys. I was so mad I literally saw red. Almost popped a vein in my forehead. Of course, all the anger was at myself. Crazy emotions, from first ones of total disbelief I could do that, to remorse, and then being resolved to making the best out of a bad situation.

Should have taken a picture before I worked on it, but was too depressed. I've actually gotten it 90% better than it was, but it's still obvious it's hit something. I was amazed at the miracle of a dremel tool.
I've been there. I used to penalize myself if I didn't transition correctly when changing lanes and NOT touching any solid painted lines. Here is a local place (for me) that does beautiful work if you're inclined:

Wheels America

Dallas - Houston - San Antonio - Chicago
Miami - Los Angeles - Philadelphia - San Francisco

·
Registered
601 Posts
I hear you. Just hit the curb with my Magnum SRT8. Luckily it was only minor and some 1500 grit sanding paper helped making it less noticeable. But I kicked myself, too. I kicked myself even more a few weeks ago when I had a detailer buff our a minor scratch in the rear door only to find out a day later that he burned some paint while doing so (size of a thumb print).

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It's been over a year, but I still feel the pain. After only having mine for 3 days, I closed my door in the garage, and spotted a mark on the door:yikes:, even in the semi-darkness. It was a nasty DEEP scratch and I did it myself right in the garage.:headbang: There's siding nails sticking through the aspenite in the exact spot as the mark in the door when I tested by reopening it.

I was sooooo mad and :cursin: and :bncry:, I made an appointment with the dealership body shop to get the scratch fixed, then later got the door repainted and a new set of stripes. $550 lesson learned. X now marks the spot with a 1-inch thick piece of pink insulation. If I'd been thinking rationally, I'd have realized I could have just got them to buff the touched up spot instead of getting it repained.:(

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's been over a year, but I still feel the pain. After only having mine for 3 days, I closed my door in the garage, and spotted a mark on the door:yikes:, even in the semi-darkness. It was a nasty DEEP scratch and I did it myself right in the garage.:headbang: There's siding nails sticking through the aspenite in the exact spot as the mark in the door when I tested by reopening it.

I was sooooo mad and :cursin: and :bncry:, I made an appointment with the dealership body shop to get the scratch fixed, then later got the door repainted and a new set of stripes. $550 lesson learned. X now marks the spot with a 1-inch thick piece of pink insulation. If I'd been thinking rationally, I'd have realized I could have just got them to buff the touched up spot instead of getting it repained.:(
How did repainting of the door turn out? I am considering repainting my door. But the difference is my car is over 4 years old and I am a bit worried about them matching the paint (although it has always been garaged). Won't the orange peel turn out differently (car is Inferno Red)? Am worried about going from a scratch to a spot to a whole door not matching :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
We’ve all been there. My first (and so far only) self inflicted damage came right after washing the car.

For some reason, I had to raise the car lift she normally occupies. So before I could bring her into the garage, I had to lower the lift to ground level. Just after doing so, I noticed the garden hose was under the rear cross member of the lift. I raised it a bit and hurried to remove the hose as if time was a factor in damaging it (guess I was thinking 5 second rule). Pulled out the hose and was so happy I hadn’t ruined the hose, I went to pull the car in. However, I had forgotten to re-lower the lift to ground level! Started to bring the car in, headed up the ramps and BANG! Backed out thinking “what the heck was that”? It was the spoiler hitting the cross member of the lift. With the low clearance, even a one inch difference between all the way down and where she was, was enough of an angle for the spoiler to hit it.

I forget how much I spent on the new spoiler, but I do remember quite well the 10 or 15 hours it took me to remove and replace the entire front fascia (which needs to be done to replace the spoiler). All the while I was doing the repair, I was kicking myself for damaging it in the first place (I was not speaking to myself either until the job was done), but I had fun just the same...

Enjoy your ride, and be thankful that you have the tools and the know-how to fix what needs fixin’.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Parking - and those "aggressive" curbs...for as much fun as these cars are to drive, and all the enjoyment that comes with that, I've found that parking them must be a careful endeavor.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
How did repainting of the door turn out? I am considering repainting my door. But the difference is my car is over 4 years old and I am a bit worried about them matching the paint (although it has always been garaged). Won't the orange peel turn out differently (car is Inferno Red)? Am worried about going from a scratch to a spot to a whole door not matching :)
It shouldn't. My door came out perfect even with the metalic flecks and the stripes were matched up perfect as well. I had to have the front fender repainted on my previous car after it got hit in a roundabout. It was 4 years old and metalic black. That body shop extended the paint so there'd be no difference. There's a name for it but can't remember, I'm still on coffee #3 this morning.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been there. I used to penalize myself if I didn't transition correctly when changing lanes and NOT touching any solid painted lines. Here is a local place (for me) that does beautiful work if you're inclined:

Wheels America

Dallas - Houston - San Antonio - Chicago
Miami - Los Angeles - Philadelphia - San Francisco
Thanks for the link! I believe if/when I get the tire off I can almost finish the repair on my own to where it would be even less noticeable. Just can't get to that part that was mashed in because the tire is in the way.

I guess I really need to just look for another wheel, and then I could send mine off. Otherwise, not sure I could stand to be without the car, especially since it's starting to get nice here in VA!

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I just got back from vacation and I curbed both front wheels on our new SRT. In over 2 yrs of owning the 09 SRT 6 speed, never once hit the curb with the wheels. Now I did it twice within 3 days. Talk about sick.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got back from vacation and I curbed both front wheels on our new SRT. In over 2 yrs of owning the 09 SRT 6 speed, never once hit the curb with the wheels. Now I did it twice within 3 days. Talk about sick.
If I damage another of these wheels in the next 12 months, I hope someone is nearby to call 911.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Put a gouge in the rear backing into the capped end of a drainpipe in the garage.

I was speaking to myself, but generally in words not fit for a family-friendly forum.

·
Banned
675 Posts
bought my car in a dealership hail damage sale, so my first ding was easy to deal with.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts