Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because I put a 180 deg thermo in this past summer. Since then, I've had to reset the computer 4x to get the check enginge light off (0128 low therm setting etc...) with my Predator. I'm only running a 91 oct CAI and exhaust. I've adjusted the temp setting 2x using info off this forum. Has anyone resolved this issue successfully before I put the friggin stock stat back in? Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't think this mod is all that essential in the long run. And yes, I hate any light being on that isn't supposed to be on...especiallyduring night driving.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Wow, I have never had the code show. That was one of the first mods I did when I got my Predator back in August 09. The car has run without fail on that code. I haven't heard of but a few people say they get it and they live in colder climates.......like Canada.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Don't you have to reset the fan settings too?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't you have to reset the fan settings too?
Yes. I did initially change the fan settings with info I got from a thread on this forum from guys who recommended those settings. When I first got the C.E.L. the setting I had imputed were probably too low. Made sense, so another member set his fan settings to like ...188 & 182s. That doesn't work either, so I'm stuck now unless I go back to stock with factory Stat.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
i have the code too. i also have an 02 sensor code from the long tube headers. ive just gotten used to them....just put some black tape over the engine light....

·
Registered
419 Posts
I get it as well. I seem to have found a way around it too... If you have EVIC this is easier. After a "cold" start (I'm guessing ECT below 160 deg)

1. Let the coolant temp rise just above 160 deg.
2. Shut off and re-start.

I do this by driving, and when the temp gets to 161 or higher I look for a chance to safely shut off the engine and re-start. There is a time limit, I suspect it varies before the computer will check the ECT for a minimum value.

If you don't have EVIC I have watched my gauge to see what would be a good point and be above 160 deg. There are 5 "major" ticks, the 1st being the cold point, 5th the hot, and 3rd being "normal" operating with stock t-stat. The 2nd major tick and then 2 small ticks past it seems to correspond roughly to 170 in my car and could be a good point to look for.

I've done this now since Oct. when my 0128 code started reappearing. You have to be diligent with it, I do it any time the car starts with the coolant below 160. Also it appears to takes more than one test failure for the code to set. How many? Don't know. Enough consecutive test passes will clear the code too.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
We have never had a code for 180* thermostat. Been in the car for almost 2 years now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I get a code, too. Fan settings make no difference. The computer sees the temp did not reach X °F by a certain time after a cold start and throws the code and a CEL. I am using a 176°F thermostat from Autozone recommended on CT.
I also plan to put the stock thermostat back in as the CEL is not worth the trouble. I have MDS and once the CEL comes on, no more MDS economy when cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I also have a 180° thermostat and have never gotten any codes. Despite being "180", I tend to have temps between 188 and 190 under normal conditions. I believe there is some variability in thermostats. Perhaps your 180° thermostat is a "cooler" one and your car runs closer to 180° than mine does. Check this by using the EVIC for a more exact reading. I don't know what the computer's threshold is for "underheating" CEL.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
If yinz post up what brand T-stats are giving you trouble, it might help some of us determine which one to buy. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I also have a 180° thermostat and have never gotten any codes. Despite being "180", I tend to have temps between 188 and 190 under normal conditions. I believe there is some variability in thermostats. Perhaps your 180° thermostat is a "cooler" one and your car runs closer to 180° than mine does. Check this by using the EVIC for a more exact reading. I don't know what the computer's threshold is for "underheating" CEL.
yes and thats why some people see it and some people dont. i got the autozone 180 stat and it threw the code. ki then replaced it with the NAPA stat and it stopped. the difference between the two stats were just a slightly higher opening temperature on the NAPA stat and i mean SLIGHTLY. but thats all it took to keep the code from showing up.

The Auto zone kept the temps on the evic around 176 to 183 and the NAPA is from 176 to 185 or so. but that seem to fix it

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
because I put a 180 deg thermo in this past summer. Since then, I've had to reset the computer 4x to get the check enginge light off (0128 low therm setting etc...) with my Predator. I'm only running a 91 oct CAI and exhaust. I've adjusted the temp setting 2x using info off this forum. Has anyone resolved this issue successfully before I put the friggin stock stat back in? Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't think this mod is all that essential in the long run. And yes, I hate any light being on that isn't supposed to be on...especiallyduring night driving.
do you remember what brand t-stat you put in?

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
We use a Jet 180* Thermostat from Summit racing.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Mine's got a Jet 180 in it. I've not thrown a code and I've driven mine is 30 - 40 degree temps. I wonder if this is something that can be adjusted in a custom tune for those getting the CEL?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big Daddy, I got the T-Stat with my predator last summer from a guy on the forum. All is good with the transaction (happy with my purchase) however he didn't say what brand it was. I really was after the predator. I think the advice of this thread is the way to go...just try a NAPA or Jet. I think this one is a AutoZone.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My brother has a Jet 180 t-stat and he too has the same code pop up on his Challenger too.

Mine (not a Jet or NAPA) runs around 177 when its below mid-60's. During the summer the coolant runs up around 183-185 and keeps the computer happy.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i only had it happen once and it was about 10 degrees outside and i was babying the car too much trying to hyper-mile with the supercharger to achieve 30mpg combined mileage.. It worked but threw that code.. get her warmed up good keep her that way and let us know..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts