Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will not clutter the 4,800 post thread on the Timing Chain Assembly Failure issue with this but, I have to say:
This Forum has been eons ahead of any other voice about this failure reality. In the face of constant resistance, refusal to even respond or downright argument by belittlement from the Manufacturer, Dealers, many Owners as well as respected Vendors to accept that a statistically significant flaw in the design of this high-tech 5.7 VVT/MDS engine existed; this Forum persevered.
I am proud to have the opportunity to call myself a member, to have posted whatever minimal information I could contribute to this 2-year battle and to watch what a grass-roots effort by a relatively small group of consumers can actually accomplish.
It is refreshing to see that this kind of dogged determination still exists in this country of ours.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You are dead on.. this forum is great! Makes no difference if you're young, older, male, female.. all are treated equal here. It's a wealth of information to say the least. And we're from all over the country, not just one area. We can hear about different issues from different driving types, weather, terrain.. it all just goes so great here.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Definitely a wealth of knowledge here. That plus a passion for Challengers and you have dogged determination to set things right. When they had that TV show about the Brampton factory, even the factory rep stated that they know Challenger owner's are somewhat picky about their cars.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
There's a bunch of "Dodge Challenger" themed Facebook pages, of which I am a member of about half a dozen. There are posts on them every day about topics which have been covered in this forum many many times, so from time to time I will add a comment with a link to a specific thread from here, and suggest "I was just reading about that on Challengertalk!". Hopefully they get the hint that THIS forum has all the info they would ever need, and if not, we'll help them figure it out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The thing I have noticed most of all is the fact that everyone on this forum knows more about the Challenger than your typical Mopar technician. Sure, the technicians have the general Mopar knowledge that applies to certain aspects of the car. But when it comes down to the Challenger specifically, the forum members always have the answers. And the forum members are quick to share information, pictures, assistance, etc.

You want to know about specific interior/exterior mods? There's an answer on CT.
You want to know if your car can have a certain exhaust installed and how much drone it might produce? There's an answer on CT (and a plethora of videos too).
You want to know if your car might potentially be affected by a certain issue? Someone has probably had that same issue, so there is an answer on CT.

I could go on and on. This is by far the best forum out there for us Challenger guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
This post represents yet another reason why I chose to contribute a measly $15 to this forum and become a Premium Member. Just think what it would be like if we didn't have this tremendous resource of Challenger owners and fans? :)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
For a while I followed (I think) 4 other Challenger forums, some barely active. Then I realized that their info from the TC thread was lifted from CT, and often ridiculed by know-it-alls. Most forums seemed uninformed (contrary to what they like to tell themselves) and more about feel-good, social media type posts than useful info. So I quit wasting my time and focused on CT exclusively. Once in a while I still check out the 'competition' and I'm usually left shaking my head at the dearth of good intel and the staggering amount of empty threads and unanswered questions. There's a lot of BS and fights here, but every thread usually contains at least a post the right info.

So I completely agree on the 'grass roots' comment about the TC thread. And it's amazing that its participants persevered while being called ignorant chicken littles and haters here and elsewhere. The "How come the failures are only reported on CT? (wink)" question I've read quite a few times takes on another meaning now that it's been shown to be a real issue. It should have been: "If you want to know what's up about Challengers... it's on CT". :icon_wink:

Oh, this is probably not the most technical board, but my initial opinion, when I started lurking a few years ago, that CT was for 'show & shine' types who just want to talk about how pretty their car is or how excited their are waiting for their order has definitely changed.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
All of you guys are dead on! This forum is the best...I have a passion for Mopar, and for new and old Challengers...and I love sharing that with you guys. And it's nice to know if I ever had a serious issue or question about my car all I have to do is come here and search or post a new thread. This forum rules..that's all there is too it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I will not clutter the 4,800 post thread on the Timing Chain Assembly Failure issue with this but, I have to say:
This Forum has been eons ahead of any other voice about this failure reality. In the face of constant resistance, refusal to even respond or downright argument by belittlement from the Manufacturer, Dealers, many Owners as well as respected Vendors to accept that a statistically significant flaw in the design of this high-tech 5.7 VVT/MDS engine existed; this Forum persevered.
I am proud to have the opportunity to call myself a member, to have posted whatever minimal information I could contribute to this 2-year battle and to watch what a grass-roots effort by a relatively small group of consumers can actually accomplish.
It is refreshing to see that this kind of dogged determination still exists in this country of ours.

BUT, they really didn't DO anything did they?

·
Registered
232 Posts
We all learn from each others successes and mistakes. If something is installed whether it works good or bad it good to share info. Plus I would rather be on this site then hearing the wife and kids screaming with my Doberman "Hemi" by my side.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Thanks, I have accomplished a lot more than they have. :browsmiley:
If Dodge was on the ball here, they would offer upgrades to 09-10' owners with MDS.
Where have you, and your vast knowledge been hiding all this time. LOL

I think that I know the answer, but just had to ask.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
I wish every manufacturer would listen to us when designing new cars....lol
Chrysler does. At the Spring Fest event every year in Irvine, CA, you can find the Chrysler engineers walking around and talking to the owners and asking them what they like about their cars and what they don't like. Ralph Gilles himself is out there walking around as well. Two years ago, one of our club members pointed out two subtle crease/bend marks on the trunk, where they apparently bent the sheet metal to fit the car. Gilles looked along the trunk as said that he had never noticed that. The next year, the crease marks were gone. In another case, many like the new SRT wheels with the black painted pockets. That was a mod that became known as the "Legmaker" mod after the screen name for the guy who was first known to have done it. Seeing how many people were doing it, Chrysler put it into production. So they do listen and they do watch.

How many people out there would've approved a 4-door Charger? I like them don't get me wrong, but it should've been a coupe!
I once asked some Chrysler executives about this, thinking a coupe would have been more true to the Charger name myself. Their reply was that the (then) market response to coupes was basically nil. No one wanted them. Hence, it was turned into a 4-door sedan.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
BUT, they really didn't DO anything did they?
Did you ever read posting #3948 from the Timing Chain Failure thread? Here it is:

MOPAR Boss Pietro Gorlier talks about the timing chain issue at the 13:00 mark!
At the 13:00 mark, someone sent in a question that says "Have you figured out the timing chain issue on the V8's yet? They seem to break on the highway, mine did." to which Pietro Gorlier, President & CEO, Mopar Brand Service, Parts and Customer Care says, and I quote: " I invite them, if they have any doubt or issue, to send me an email! I have given out my email address before in other interviews, which is [email protected]" Standing next to him is his Boss Saad Chehab..........

See the link at the bottom! Watch the video, write down his email address and ask him yourself! Maybe send him a link to this thread?

Autoline Live from Woodward Avenue

Free Press automotive critic Mark Phelan is among the guests as "Autoline with John McElroy" webcasts live from Woodward Avenue ahead of the 2013 Woodward Dream Cruise. The webcast will begin at 4 p.m. Also scheduled to appear:
Saad Chehab, President & CEO, Chrysler Brand
Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar
Pietro Gorlier, President & CEO, Mopar Brand Service, Parts and Customer Care
Tony Michaels, President & CEO, The Parade Company
Ralph Gilles, President & CEO, SRT Brand and Motorsports
Jim Hall, Autoline Design Handbook and 2953 Analytics
Robin Broidy, Producer, "Snake & Mongoo$e"

'Autoline Live' from Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Ever since then, when I posted his email address, which he supplied in his answer on TV, something positive has happened about the issue. Was it our bitching about it that finally got it fixed? Who knows, but we may just have had a part in it. Had we said nothing, well, nothing is may be what would have happened.

:guiness:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts