Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SLP LM1 doesnt have much drone while cruising but yesterday accelerating up and down through 55-70 mph droned pretty bad. I'm sure if I ever experience no drone at those speeds, I'll be spoiled and regret ever having drone.

On to the J-pipes. I'm kinda scared on this purchase since they are not off the shelf, I'm wondering what position and shape they should be. My drone range is around 1700-2200 RPM, so the length would be between 23" and 30". I plan to attach a 3" pipe to my 3" exhaust to cover as much drone as possibly. I want to hide them neatly behind the wheel well so I am not sure where there should be a bend and in what direction.

Who has J-pipes to provide specifics on position and shape?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,939 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
What is the purpose of these J-pipes? Curious!

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
^to mechanically tune out the drone frequences

Besides Solo, MBRP's exhaust system for SRT8s also has a tuning pipe - just another option you may want to further investigate.

·
Registered
486 Posts
SLP LM1 doesnt have much drone while cruising but yesterday accelerating up and down through 55-70 mph droned pretty bad. I'm sure if I ever experience no drone at those speeds, I'll be spoiled and regret ever having drone.

On to the J-pipes. I'm kinda scared on this purchase since they are not off the shelf, I'm wondering what position and shape they should be. My drone range is around 1700-2200 RPM, so the length would be between 23" and 30". I plan to attach a 3" pipe to my 3" exhaust to cover as much drone as possibly. I want to hide them neatly behind the wheel well so I am not sure where there should be a bend and in what direction.

Who has J-pipes to provide specifics on position and shape?
My recollection of a J-pipe is that it does not have to be any particular shape. It's commonly made in the shape of a J for space purposes only.
As you apparently already know, the attenuation is based on the length being designed for the RPM range of the drone.
Solo has them as part of some of their systems.
Solo has J-Pipes that include a slider end cap (just loosen the band clamp and slide the piece longer or shorter) so that you can fine tune the exhaust note if necessary.
If you opt for the adjustable version, keep in mind to arrange them so you can adjust the length without too much trouble, if need be.
Just some food for thought.
adj j-pipe.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
^to mechanically tune out the drone frequences

Besides Solo, MBRP's exhaust system for SRT8s also has a tuning pipe - just another option you may want to further investigate.
Thx for the learning tip.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,939 Posts
J Pipes are a form of a helmholtz resonator. The sound goes in the J Pipe, then when the offending sound bounces off the sealed end it comes back 180° out of phase and cancels out the original offending sound. In theory (and apparently application it seems).

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,709 Posts
You might want to give Steve at Solo a call. I believe he might sell just the J-pipes. I've heard of people buying them by themselves before.

They do work. We've got the Solo Race exhaust on our 2015 SRT 392 (no mufflers or resonators), along with the A8 trans. The stock exhaust with both mufflers and resonators droned more than the 3" Solo does, which goes to say that the Solo doesn't drone at all.

They are adjustable in length too and fit nicely tucked up behind the quarter panel out of the way.

The thing with the J-pipes is that the length is the most important detail of the install. You just have to figure out how to get the proper length to fit. There lies the problem!

Here's a chart that might help:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts