Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Imcomplete factory paint jobs

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Cryoguns 
#1 ·
One thing that really annoys me is how the factory skimps on painting some areas of the car, like the trunk and interior floor. They only get whatever overspray hits them.

I've seen videos of the Chalenger production lines and the painting process, would it REALLY be that hard to make the robot do an additional pass or 2 inside the trunk or interior?

I just saw pictures in another topic here of a yellow Challenger trunk with rear strut bar, and the inner fenderwells only had a light spray of yellow with the gray primer still showing.

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

My old 1971 Valiant 4 door had a nice complete paint job, and I have seen it on many other Mopars. But not the "new and improved" ones!

#2 ·
Yeh I was pretty surprised when I discovered that on mine. Not something I have noticed on my other cars which range from old aircooled vws, old GMs, later model GM trucks and some other imports of various vintage. Also what is painted is surprisingly thin.
But oh well, still love the car and it will probably get better paint in the future anyway.

#4 ·
i guess we expect better nowadays since robots are doing the painting,i have noticed many flaws in most challengers i look at,but,i have a 86 chevy truck with the original paint and there is a humongous run all the way down the passenger side rocker,and the paint is very thin on the tailgate and lens area,so i guess we havent been completely replaced by robots yet,they are as bad as humans! for the cost of a challenger i expected better though

#5 ·
my 99 s10 has this one drip of clearcoat on the bottom edge of the driver's side door that looks like it would hurt if my foot hit it while wearing flipflops, other than that the overall paint quality seems very good.
around what year did they start phasing in robots for the paint? anyone know?

#6 ·
I'm sure this was a cost improvement; paint plus time, X tens of 1000's of cars. You would be surprised how much that can add up.

As long as "missing paint" doesn't show, it doesn't bother me at all. Kind of like the rust on cast pieces under the car. It is what it is.

#7 ·
Noz, I agree with you on your statement, but... what really bugs me is the lack of clear coat on the factory painted items under the hood or in the truck. I like to show off the engine but it just looks unfinished. Will probably strip out what I can and clear everything eventually but just don't like having to (*****, *****, *****, LOL).

#8 ·
One thing that really annoys me is how the factory skimps on painting some areas of the car, like the trunk and interior floor. They only get whatever overspray hits them.

I've seen videos of the Chalenger production lines and the painting process, would it REALLY be that hard to make the robot do an additional pass or 2 inside the trunk or interior?

I just saw pictures in another topic here of a yellow Challenger truck with rear strut bar, and the inner fenderwells only had a light spray of yellow with the gray primer still showing.

UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

My old 1971 Valiant 4 door had a nice complete paint job, and I have seen it on many other Mopars. But not the "new and improved" ones!
On the floors... then someone repainted it.
Mopar never put a "complete" coat of paint on the floors or the trunk floor & sides.
Sure they got hit with some paint, but it wasn't that great.
However they did do a MUCH BETTER job under the hood, the bottom of the trunk lid, and inside the door jams than they do today.
Every time I open the hood and see that pathetic dull half a$$ed paint I just shake my head :disgust:
Same thing with the door jams, it's pathetic... even my old POS Taurus had good shinny paint on the door jams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.