Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was one allen key too short, but I got it in last night and it feels great. As others have said, it's a much more solid feel than the stock shifter and looks marvelous. Getting into reverse and first seem easier, though the notchiness getting into gears is still there. I'm noticing it especially when going into 2nd. I would say it even seems more difficult now that I have a more tight, hard shifting experience as opposed to the looser feel of the stock shifter. I still find myself sometimes not getting it all the way into 2nd before I embarassingly rev and realize I'm not in a gear.

So some did suggest greasing the bearings with lithium but when I looked at the bearings on the Barton, they seemed pretty well greased up already. I'm wondering if there are other parts of the shifter that could use some grease that would help get past those "notches" more easily. I can live it with the way it is, but being the perfectionist I am and since I do love my car, I'll probably look into the next step - the synchro kit. Sounds like it will cost a pretty penny to get that installed, so it won't be anytime soon.

Just wondering what other impressions of the Barton have been, especially in regards to the tightness and 2nd gear specifically and whether people have done any after-aftermarket modifications to make it smoother and more user friendly.

PS - I should note that this was installed on a 2015 RT Plus Shaker 6MT

Cheers!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Notchy-ness is going to be a result of the trans itself. The t56-tr6060 are well known to be big, clunky, sturdy transmissions. If you havent already, change your trans fluid to a high performance fluid that smoothed out my shifting a whole lot after i put my barton in.

And when the time comes switch out those factory synchros with the tremec upgraded ones.

Advantage i found with the barton is you can force it i to gear regardless of the notch/gates. Not recommended but possible

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,649 Posts
Notchy-ness is going to be a result of the trans itself. The t56-tr6060 are well known to be big, clunky, sturdy transmissions. If you havent already, change your trans fluid to a high performance fluid that smoothed out my shifting a whole lot after i put my barton in.

And when the time comes switch out those factory synchros with the tremec upgraded ones.

Advantage i found with the barton is you can force it i to gear regardless of the notch/gates. Not recommended but possible
What transmission fluid did you use, and where did you get it?

As for the syncros, I didn't wait, and have already installed the hybrid syncros for all gears, not just 2nd, because the labor costs way more than the syncros.

Reactions: GreenHornet15

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
What transmission fluid did you use, and where did you get it?

As for the syncros, I didn't wait, and have already installed the hybrid syncros for all gears, not just 2nd, because the labor costs way more than the syncros.

Im very happy with the DRIVEN fluids. No additives just the fluid straight noticed a difference right away. Other people have had good luck with valvoline synchromesh and royal purple too.

DRIVEN makes good stuff though im running their stuff in my trans and diff. Designed not to use additives

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im very happy with the DRIVEN fluids. No additives just the fluid straight noticed a difference right away. Other people have had good luck with valvoline synchromesh and royal purple too.

DRIVEN makes good stuff though im running their stuff in my trans and diff. Designed not to use additives

I think my next step will be the fluid. I don't know too much about the friction points in a transmission, but it does feel like something needs to be lubed better. I replaced the trans fluid a few months ago with the recommended Mopar fluid as per the manual. This was done at the dealership when I first bought the car used to be sure I was in good shape. I have heard people say they would only use recommended fluid and others who had great results with the royal purple fluid, so I may give that a go even if it's just to rule it out

·
Premium Member
246 Posts

I use Driven as well and it has made a huge difference for me. Joe Gibbs racing developed it.

Reactions: GreenHornet15

·
Registered
37 Posts
Installed the Barton around 20k changed trans fluid at 31k as part of normal maintenance. Shifting is a lot smoother and less notchy after the change. 2nd can still nibble and be an issue but It may be more a combo of how I drive and the 2nd gear lockout that sometimes happens. .

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,659 Posts
Maybe you will have luck with a different oil. I have tried ATF, RP synchromesh and the new Tremec MTF and I still have some degree of notchiness in 2nd and now 4th which has convinced me there is an issue with my trans.

·
Super Moderator
15,969 Posts
Just wondering what other impressions of the Barton have been, especially in regards to the tightness and 2nd gear specifically and whether people have done any after-aftermarket modifications to make it smoother and more user friendly.

PS - I should note that this was installed on a 2015 RT Plus Shaker 6MT

Cheers!:grin2:
I've used the DRIVEN STF in ~ 40K of driving between my previous Challenger and my '16 I now have. It really improved the way the synchros behave and made the shift effort lower and more smooth.

The 2nd gear notchy feel does lessen with more miles - the one thing (have stock shifter in the '16) is you have to make a decisive effort to shift fully into the 2nd gate.

I'm not certain if its the revisions to the synchros (my '09 preceded the later design) and / or the design of the '15+ shifter...my '09 never "tricked" me into not getting into the gate fully.

Other friends that have '15+ M6 have noted the same thing about 2nd being more a a pull to get fully into the gate. Once you've either popped out of gear or grind it, you make sure not to repeat that!

Reactions: trippytro

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Once you've either popped out of gear or grind it, you make sure not to repeat that!
Your not kidding Hal. Only manual trans vehicle that I have ever driven were the 2nd gear confidence is not 100%

Spent 48 years taking a 2nd gear shift for granted, not with a Tremor.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts