Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a 1100 mile road trip (sadly for work) in my 14 SXT and was really impressed with over 29MPG during the trip! The trip was on 70MPH roads and the MPG was calculated off of tank fill-ups, not the trip computer.

Might be kind of a boring topic but I'm stoked!

brian

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Its certainly exciting when u don't expect it. I didn't expect 27 out of my car when I drove it home from the dealer with 100 miles on the clock.

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,458 Posts
If you drive with mpgs in mind, 28-31 mpg on the highway is what you can expect to see on average.

But what has really impressed me the most about the 3.6L is that I can drive like my ass was on fire and my head was a catchin', and I will still get 25+ mpg on highway trips.

Which is good, cause I need all that money I save on gas to pay for the speeding tickets I keep getting.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
With my '09 Challenger, I couldn't get more than 26 MPG. Now with my 2013 SXT, I got 30.6 just a couple of weeks ago. This was doing 75 MPH through some mountains.

I love it!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Not bad you guys. Michelle's 300 v6 with the 8 speed just barely does better than that on a road trip. We've seen 31-32 once but most of the time it's about 29 or so on the road....about 23.5 in mixed bag driving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Typical MPG for my RT. Took the photo to prove it to G35 doubter. Taken after 6-7 hours of street driving and a 125 mile blast over the 4200 ft Grapevine grade on I5, averaging 75 mph.

These truly are amazing cars. The upcoming V6's with the 8 speeds should get great numbers. Talk about having your cake. :thumbsup:
MPG.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have gotten 33mpg on a trip through Pa. I routinely get 30s on road trips....and I generally fly low....but not slow. Chuck is an 11 and I always use cc.
Diane

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
If I drive really carefully I can get 25 to 27 mpg with my R/T. Its more fun to just burn gas

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: iamawild1

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Lol..that's what I love about the 392 m6. Nearly 27 mpg at 80 mph. With the added safety factor of great passing power!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Awesome! I do a TON of city driving and get 20ish MPG (guesstimating). Nice to know longer trips on the highway won't kill my wallet!

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
I have gotten 33mpg on a trip through Pa. I routinely get 30s on road trips....and I generally fly low....but not slow. Chuck is an 11 and I always use cc.
Diane
I think you touched on something here. I rarely use cruise control.

·
Registered
573 Posts
On a trip cruise control will get you better gas mileage . That's a fact. The best I have ever got with my SRT is 19 MPG
Which is 1/2 in town & 1/2 freeway. I wouldn't trade my SRT for better gas mileage.

·
Registered
15,804 Posts
If you can hold your foot steady you get better mpg without cruise. Why? Because on cruise it is constantly moving the throttle to compensate for every little grade change or headwind, if you just hold steady and let the car speed up or slow down thru the grades you will do better overall. Also the best mpg is when the car goes downhill and the increased speed will help you up the next hill. The cruise won't allow this and will slow you down at the bottom of the hill only to have to add a lot more fuel to get you up the other side. Here is where a good driver will beat a computer every time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Reset my mpg's and drove for 45 minutes non-stop at 60mph one morning and averaged 32 mpg, just to see how high it could go. On average, I'm getting 20 mpg.

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
MPG 2014 Challenger 3.6l

So my company rented me a car to drive to our plant in Ky about 375 miles from Auburn Hill Mi, to my surprise it was a new 2014 Challenger, while I have a had my 2013 SRT8 Core Challenger for just over a year I had only driven SRT8's when shopping for my Challenger and to my pleasant surprise I averaged 29.3 mpg at about 76 mph which I think is great and a far cry from the 11.5 mpg I get in my SRT8.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine gets 27MPG @ 80, 30MPG @ 60, and averages 21-22 on my weekly commute which is 45% city/55% highway.

I won't believe that a 392 gets 27 @ 80 until I see it with my own eyes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My R/T got 29.9 running 65 on a fully loaded car heading to CF5 and this included a race jack in a box (donation for Racing 4 Vets). After that I kicked it up to 70/80 for the rest of the 3,000 trip that included a weeks worth of city driving and I averaged 26 mpg.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've never calculated my SXT plus by actual use, but the computer tells me I've gotten as much as 27.4 in combined city/highway. I've never reset it and it still fluctuates quite a bit, so I wonder what the calculation is based on. At 12,000 miles, sitting waiting for a long train for 10 minutes shouldn't move the number, but it does.

This is better than my wife's Escape with the highly touted 1.6L Ecoboost for combined mileage, and very close to what we get with extended highway use (very disappointed with the fuel economy!!!).

The next road trip will be in the Dodge.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I once got 34.9 MPG on a 200 mile trip - my car was loaded with two borderline morbidly obese pregnant women and a Rosanne Barr look-alike drag queen (don't ask), a full cooler and snacks including a case of Colt 45 and two buckets of extra crispy KFC, a trunk loaded with a 110lb weight set and a half dozen cinder blocks, while towing a 1964 four-door 289 Ford Falcon. My car has the 3.6 and I added one of those power chips that promise added fuel economy and increased horsepower, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts