Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you OLD MUSCLE / GEAR HEAD guys....What (in your opinion) was the best motor ever made? And Why?
Power
Sound,
Weight,
Torque,
Fuel Economy,
Looks,
Etc.....

It can even be completely aftermarket or custom (but we have to have pictures)!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Old stuff is great, but when you look at the power that comes stock out of a coyote, or 392, etc - the old stuff is a distant memory.
But I'll play.

Old:
Boss 302
Chevy 302
Ford Nascar 429

New:
Coyote
2JZGTE
RB26DTT
LSX
Honda F20C

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Old stuff is great, but when you look at the power that comes stock out of a coyote, or 392, etc - the old stuff is a distant memory.
But I'll play.

Old:
Boss 302
Chevy 302
Ford Nascar 429

New:
Coyote
2JZGTE
RB26DTT
LSX
Honda F20C
I agree with every engine on this list but also I think that the Chevrolet LSx engines and their pick-up truck variants need to be added like the LM7 and LQ9. Those things are awesome. It's too bad that the concept of build quality escapes GM though when it comes to anything other than powertrain.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm a pretty big fan of the big ol' 307 V8 I've got in my 87 Cutlass :icon_lol:

It's not my favorite, but it still runs like a dream (it's the original motor).

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Not sure how reply #1 on a mopar forum doesn't point and scream wildly at the legendary 426 HEMI but yeah, the 426 hemi. Why? It turned the world of stock car racing upside down in a major enough way to get it banned, it then dominated the world of drag racing (and still does) after they put 50 degrees of spark advance in it, hell it's been around for 50 years and is STILL a contender...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just to back up a little oldsmobile credit, they did prototype and make a 455 HEMI olds motor. They even had sohc versions running in the can-am series.

The 455 hemi was supposed to be the next big thing for GM and Olds, but along came the EPA and gas crisis and it was all history.

But lets face facts if it werent for the SBC this hobby may not have the aftermarket we see today, I am not a fan of chevy but credit goes where its due.

For us we have one huge thing going and it is the current eagle/6.1/apache heads. They all are amazing and will give the gen 3 hemi a legacy in years to come.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
My vote

Classic street: 440 sixpack (streetability)
Classic Race: 426 Hemi

Modern: 5.7/6.4 Hemi (really same motor).

SRT engineer says, on an article that the V8 is dead by end of decade.

That being said: The modern interpretation of the Hemi V8 offers the best HP/Q combo for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You are all wrong. The best motor is electric!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
There's a special place in hell for people like you, you tree hugging hippy! LOL. I'd like to change my answer. The best motor every made is the one in my pants that runs to redline for my wife :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
You gotta at least segregate it by era. Pre-WWII, postwar-1975, 1975-now, and even then you can't pick just one.

Limited to car engines my nominations would be:

Pre-war:
Duesenberg 32-valve straight 8 used in the J and SJ (supercharged) chassis
Ford V8
Mopar flathead sixes

Postwar-75:
Olds Rocket (all variations)
Gen-1 Hemi (331,354, 392)
Mopar Slant-6
Ford FE series
Buick Nailhead
Mopar 318
Mopar 383
Ford Windsor

'75-now:
Gah. too many choices, too many great foreign ones I know nothing about.

But the Gen-3 Hemi, LSx, Ford Modular, Ford Scorpion, Duramax, Cummins ISB, Pentastar v6, Turbo II-IV series, Jeep 4.0, Nissan VG and VQ, and Viper V10 all have to be in the mix at least

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
All you OLD MUSCLE / GEAR HEAD guys....What (in your opinion) was the best motor ever made? And Why?
Power
Sound,
Weight,
Torque,
Fuel Economy,
Looks,
Etc.....
It can even be completely aftermarket or custom (but we have to have pictures)!
'62 413 if you can ignore fuel economy. Sorry, never saw one on the street but several in the pits at Capital Raceway Park in MD and man did I love to hear those things fire up! BEST starter sound EVER! :11:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
You gotta at least segregate it by era. Pre-WWII, postwar-1975, 1975-now, and even then you can't pick just one.

Limited to car engines my nominations would be:

Pre-war:
Duesenberg 32-valve straight 8 used in the J and SJ (supercharged) chassis
Ford V8
Mopar flathead sixes

Postwar-75:
Olds Rocket (all variations)
Gen-1 Hemi (331,354, 392)
Mopar Slant-6
Ford FE series
Buick Nailhead
Mopar 318
Mopar 383
Ford Windsor

'75-now:
Gah. too many choices, too many great foreign ones I know nothing about.

But the Gen-3 Hemi, LSx, Ford Modular, Ford Scorpion, Duramax, Cummins ISB, Pentastar v6, Turbo II-IV series, Jeep 4.0, Nissan VG and VQ, and Viper V10 all have to be in the mix at least
Pretty good list, but I'd give a nod the the 258 cid AMC engine. Al a Jeep iron six.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it all depends on what someone wants. 1/4 mile, top end, climbing, mud hogging, etc... I believe there are great engines for each but not for all. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There's a special place in hell for people like you, you tree hugging hippy! LOL. I'd like to change my answer. The best motor every made is the one in my pants that runs to redline for my wife :D
No, Steve's ever so correct. My favorite motor is a vector duty, 2000:1 speed range, 200 HP NEMA 445 T frame. 600 ftlbs of torque at 0 RPM.:eek2:

The best engine? Gotta love the 426 HEMI, the SOHC 427 Ford, or the 455 H.O. Poncho for heavy metal. On the lighter side, I'll throw in the air cooled VW for super cheap hot rodding fun, and the Mazda 4B rotary was an amazing HP producer.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts