Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Predator updated and just installed the CAI 93 octane tune. I filled up with 93 octane two days ago and have the Mopar CAI installed. After it finished loading the tune, I unplugged the Predator and started the car up. I took it for a short spin and the car feels nothing like it did before. In a good way! It feels like it's finally awake. Throttle response seems way more immediate and just feels a helluva lot faster. I also had the Solo Performance exhaust installed two days ago so over the course of a weekend my car has gone from asleep to wide awake.

I guess it could be in my head but it sure doesn't feel like it. Is it supposed to take the car's computer a little while to "learn" the new tune? Does the 93 CAI tune mess with the shift firmness at all? I ask because it seems to shift faster and more smoothly.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The computer doesn't have to learn the tune but if you didn't run your 87 gas out that should have held you back a little. Mine woke up right away but I put my CAI on and tuned at the same time and had ran 2 tanks of 93 thru it first. I think it shifts at the same time just a little crisper.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The computer doesn't have to learn the tune but if you didn't run your 87 gas out that should have held you back a little. Mine woke up right away but I put my CAI on and tuned at the same time and had ran 2 tanks of 93 thru it first. I think it shifts at the same time just a little crisper.
I put 17 gallons of 93 octane in a few days ago so I'd guess there was only a gallon or so of 89 octane in at that time. I've used over a quarter tank since so I hope the 89 is either gone or mixed in a tiny ratio with the 93.

This tune rules. Car feels burly. :smokin:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sweet isn't it? All I use is 93 octane - and immediately after I installed the 93/CAI tune, it was like "WOW" - that was a good move. I put a Magnaflow exhaust on shortly after, then re-tunned with lower fan settings after I installed a 180 t-stat The Predator rocks IMO.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lower fan settings after I installed a 180 t-stat
I'm curious about this common mod. What exactly are the benefits? Difficulty of installation? Would it only be useful for track use? What if you never really race?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm curious about this common mod. What exactly are the benefits? Difficulty of installation? Would it only be useful for track use? What if you never really race?
I swapped the stock t-stat for the 180 so I'd run a little cooler when I encounter traffic (mine's a daily driver). All of the posts and some of the vendor sites that sell the 180s recommend lowering the fan settings with the Predator to get the most out of the lower temp t-stat. It won't hurt if you don't, but in my case since I wanted lower temps in traffic, resetting the fans was the way to go. I just lowered them a little - again, based on common recommendations from the forum as well as the DiabloSport site. I got what I wanted - it runs at least 20 degrees cooler in traffic. The engine temp rarely gets over 200 now, and if it does, its only a couple of degrees. Before, in traffic it could exceed 220 easy, especially on hot days.

Installing the t-stat is easy - couple of threads here provide pics and instructions. Takes about 20 minutes tops. Resetting the fans with the Predator is about a 10 - 15 minute deal in the front seat.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got what I wanted - it runs at least 20 degrees cooler in traffic. The engine temp rarely gets over 200 now, and if it does, its only a couple of degrees. Before, in traffic it could exceed 220 easy, especially on hot days.
Since mine is not a daily driver and therefore rarely, if ever, sits in traffic I'm leaning towards skipping the 180° thermostat mod. Just seems needless for my situation. But I do still have a question about it: what exactly is the harm in an engine running 20° or so hotter for very short periods of time-like in traffic? Isn't the engine designed from the factory to handle quite a bit of temperature fluctuation and to be cooled adequately by the stock cooling system and thermostat? I understand the "cooler is always better" argument but if your car never sees heavy traffic or track use I don't see much point in lowering the thermostat temp. But hey, what do I know? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
389 Posts
No harm I can think of. As you mentioned, it comes with the higher temp factory t-stat and performs just fine as is - the car was engineered to withstand the higher temps. For me, just something I felt would be a nice compliment to the other performance mods I've got. Like so many mods, I think its a matter of personal preference. I like the idea of running cooler in traffic. I liked my Challenger before I did any mods - I was very satisfied with it stock. But I like it even more with the mods. I like the appearance mods I've done, and enjoy the result of the performance mods. I'd say I got some personal satisfaction from "customizing" the car to my taste too. That would be it really - personal satisfaction and the enjoyment that goes along with it when I drive the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts