Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Challenger RT. 5.7 liter manual transmission.

Looking for a new exaust with a badass sound. Right now I just have the stock exhaust. So far I have looked into Flowmaster super 10s and 60s. I have also seen some cat-back replacements. Just wanted to see what the community thought on the issue. I am assuming that people have sort of come to a consensus. I dont want to spend BIG money. What can I find that is affordable but has a good growl. (I also dont want to straight pipe or cut it off at the headers) Obviously I am kinda new to challengers. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
by the way, the cat-back replacement i found was the Borla system. I found it for $518. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This topic comes up frequently on the forum so I would recommend you do a search.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/7746537-post1.html

$518 is pretty inexpensive considering corsa exhaust is ~$1200. I run a corsa extreme on my 2015 M6 manual (2.5 inch exhaust...autos use 2.25) and love it...no drone but it is only slightly louder than OEM.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Some good exhaust shops will throw on different exhausts and let you hear how they sound so look into that.
I have Flowmaster Super 40's I like it, cold start is louuud, redlining is loud, 45mph cruising is not that loud.
$400 for full install

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
If you want big sound and no drone on the cheap, then just replace the mid mufflers with straight pipe.

·
Vendor
1,668 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Everyone has opinions on the sound! I love my Zoomers that I got off of Speedlogix. I think it sounds like the 60's hotrods.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running the same setup(Flow master super 40s) I also took the resonators off. I get a little bit of drone at 65 but nothing unbearable. Really enjoy it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Solo performance. I run their system on my 2015 R/T and love it. Louder than stock all around. Calm at cruising speed but you know it's there. Upon acceleration has a great tone. Step on it and it's sounds insane. And it's going to cost about 30% less than the other brands corsa, borla etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the help. I am feeling pretty good about the borla system at this point but I will do some more research

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im seeing alot of videos with people deleting the resonators. What is the purpose of doing this? Why would i want to keep them/delete them

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
If you delete the resonators your exhaust will be much louder but your drone may be mind splitting especially if you have a manual. Lately I see more people deleting the mid mufflers instead as it increases exhaust sound without drone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you delete the resonators your exhaust will be much louder but your drone may be mind splitting especially if you have a manual. Lately I see more people deleting the mid mufflers instead as it increases exhaust sound without drone.
Thanks ChallyTatum you are a huge help. I am thinking flowmaster super 10s with either a resonator delete or mid muffler delete. but I am leaning more towards mid muffler delete

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
Thanks ChallyTatum you are a huge help. I am thinking flowmaster super 10s with either a resonator delete or mid muffler delete. but I am leaning more towards mid muffler delete
So I have played around with different exhaust configurations....blasting bob reso delete....corsa with/without mid mufflers.....headers and corsa with/without mid mufflers....and my favorite is corsa without the mid mufflers. Unfortunately I never removed the stock mid mufflers but there are some who have and said that is the most bang for the buck and no drone. I honestly think you should try the least expensive approach first which is the mid muffler delete and go from their. Heck you probably can do it yourself by getting some band clamps from Pypes (check summit racing) and some straight pipe (also from summit racing). This will also allow you to swap in different mufflers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Not sure if it is Borla or Corsa as I have heard them both referred to as the name behind the Mopar Performance Exhaust. I had the MPE installed a little under two years ago and liken the sound to the Borla S Type catback.

This is a clip that I made of a cold start with the Mopar Performance Exhaust. The car technically had been running maybe ten seconds before the video started, but you get a good idea of the sound you can expect. Sounds great WOT and absolutely no drone under any condition that I have heard so far.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger
63 Posts
Thats what I did removed everything from the cats back, put in the Flowmasters and straight piped it out!
I think it was needed to make it the loudness that it needs to be since the headers and cats are so restrictive.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Corsa with mid muffler delete, hard acceleration.

Couple of different configurations with/without stock manifolds...with/without corsa mid mufflers.
That sounds sooooo sweet!

I have the "clamp on", no weld Mopar catback, do you think I could do a mid muffler delete to straight pipe as a clamp on (no welding)? DIYer? The reason I am asking is because I would like to have the option to revert back if need be. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,995 Posts
That sounds sooooo sweet!

I have the "clamp on", no weld Mopar catback, do you think I could do a mid muffler delete to straight pipe as a clamp on (no welding)? DIYer? The reason I am asking is because I would like to have the option to revert back if need be. Thanks.
The corsa (I think they manufacture the Mopar performance catback) used slip connectors and all I did was to buy a 4' (2.5" OD - as I have a manual) stainless pipe from summit (I think I cut two pipes with a length 20.5").
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-mb125048

And then I bought 2x2.5" band clamps from summit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-hvc65

1 - 19 of 19 Posts