Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,686 Posts
Generally speaking, a custom tune (requires unlocked PCM, tuner, and cost of tune), or a supercharger (or turbo(s))

You could make several (expensive) mods that can net you 15-25 HP such as bigger throttle body on a ported upper intake manifold port matched to the lower intake manifold. This alone will not get you much, and the tune required to take advantage of these changes will account for most of the gains.

You can increase the performance feel with a higher rear gear and/or a throttle pedal remapping device such as the pedal commander, but these will not add any horsepower.

You can get some great increases with forced induction (supercharger, turbo) and tune. 450-500 HP at the rear wheels, but it will cost you $6,000-$8,000 + labor and tuning.

Unfortunately Dodge left very little extra power available for the V6

A Guy

Reactions: robo5555

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally speaking, a custom tune (requires unlocked PCM, tuner, and cost of tune), or a supercharger (or turbo(s))

You could make several (expensive) mods that can net you 15-25 HP such as bigger throttle body on a ported upper intake manifold port matched to the lower intake manifold. This alone will not get you much, and the tune required to take advantage of these changes will account for most of the gains.

You can increase the performance feel with a higher rear gear and/or a throttle pedal remapping device such as the pedal commander, but these will not add any horsepower.

You can get some great increases with forced induction (supercharger, turbo) and tune. 450-500 HP at the rear wheels, but it will cost you $6,000-$8,000 + labor and tuning.

Unfortunately Dodge left very little extra power available for the V6

A Guy
so a tune will be recommend??

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,686 Posts
Recommended is tough. Can I recommend spending $800+ to get 15-25HP IF you always run 91 to 93 octane gas? Too pricey for the gain for me, but you'd have to decide.

If you decided to go that route, you'd need your PCM unlocked, or purchase a 2nd unlocked one. You'd need to decide on which tuner (Diablosport or HP Tuners). This would depend on whether you just want to run a preset canned tune, or pay to have a tuner send you custom tunes (generally requires data logging to get the tune optimized).

I think you get a nice bump you can feel, but at a cost that is an individual thing.

A Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recommended is tough. Can I recommend spending $800+ to get 15-25HP IF you always run 91 to 93 octane gas? Too pricey for the gain for me, but you'd have to decide.

If you decided to go that route, you'd need your PCM unlocked, or purchase a 2nd unlocked one. You'd need to decide on which tuner (Diablosport or HP Tuners). This would depend on whether you just want to run a preset canned tune, or pay to have a tuner send you custom tunes (generally requires data logging to get the tune optimized).

I think you get a nice bump you can feel, but at a cost that is an individual thing.

A Guy
i dont think i can do 91 tbh. i was thinking about getting tires n wheels too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,686 Posts
People who have added a Pedal Commander, or Sprint Booster almost unanimously praise the effect they give. Again, no added HP, but a difference in feel. It's something relatively cheap in the order of things

Personally, I'm into the looks, it has good enough performance for me, or I'd have gotten a V8 ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
785 Posts
Light weight wheels and corresponding tires will increase acceleration.
Rear end will as well.

Then nitrous :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
785 Posts
I run 17x7 fronts and a 15x10 rear but use to have a 17x9.5.
The 17x7s and 17x9.5s Racestars with summer (235) front tires and rear drag radials (305) cut 40lbs off. Thats 40 pounds of rotational weight. Some old pictures with 17s all around:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run 17x7 fronts and a 15x10 rear but use to have a 17x9.5.
The 17x7s and 17x9.5s Racestars with summer (235) front tires and an cut 40lbs off. Thats 40 pounds of rotational weight. Some old pictures with 17s all around:

those 305 on the backs looks amazing! any mods you have done to ur car to increase horsepower besides the tires?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,357 Posts
i dont think i can do 91 tbh. i was thinking about getting tires n wheels too.
careful with the whee and tire upgrade. You do not want to replace what you have with anything heavier. Every extra pound of unsprung weight (weight not supported by the suspension) is like 4 extra pounds of regular dead weight.

in other words, replacing the wheels and tires with a set that is, say, 15 lbs heavier per corner would be like throwing a 60 lb back of rocks in the trunk to carry around.

Remember, weight is the enemy of acceleration - the more weight you have, the slower you go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
careful with the whee and tire upgrade. You do not want to replace what you have with anything heavier. Every extra pound of unsprung weight (weight not supported by the suspension) is like 4 extra pounds of regular dead weight.

in other words, replacing the wheels and tires with a set that is, say, 15 lbs heavier per corner would be like throwing a 60 lb back of rocks in the trunk to carry around.

Remember, weight is the enemy of acceleration - the more weight you have, the slower you go.
should i just take the rear seats n spare tire out??

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
should i just take the rear seats n spare tire out??
every pound counts...especially on a low torque, high geared setup like you have.

Will you be able to tell a difference in acceleration if you remove the spare and rear seats? Eh, maybe, maybe not. The car will accelerate more quickly, but it may only be visible in a quarter mile race or 0-60 mph run.

Weight reduction is cumulative. Every pound you can drop is good. Every pound you add is bad. Every pound of unsprung weight is bad x 4.

That should be your mantra if you want to make that car faster.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,686 Posts
If you have a flat, you can sleep in the back :D

A Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
every pound counts...especially on a low torque, high geared setup like you have.

Will you be able to tell a difference in acceleration if you remove the spare and rear seats? Eh, maybe, maybe not. The car will accelerate more quickly, but it may only be visible in a quarter mile race or 0-60 mph run.

Weight reduction is cumulative. Every pound you can drop is good. Every pound you add is bad. Every pound of unsprung weight is bad x 4.

That should be your mantra if you want to make that car faster.
like i won't my car to accelerate off the line fast, win more dig races.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
I ran both my V6 Challengers sans the spares to save weight, and just carried a plug kit and 12v air compressor in the event of a flat.

once I got the Hemi, I kept the spare for the first year and a half and 60K miles, plus the plug kit and compressor.

I’m mo longer Running with the spare since I never used it. I use that space for emergency kit and extra clothes.

blow outs happen, but not very often.

flats happen much more often, and can be taken care of with a plug kit and 12v air compressor, with a total weight of about 3 lbs...vs 25+ for the spare and jack

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ran both my V6 Challengers sans the spares to save weight, and just carried a plug kit and 12v air compressor in the event of a flat.

once I got the Hemi, I kept the spare for the first year and a half and 60K miles, plus the plug kit and compressor.

I’m mo longer Running with the spare since I never used it. I use that space for emergency kit and extra clothes.

blow outs happen, but not very often.

flats happen much more often, and can be taken care of with a plug kit and 12v air compressor, with a total weight of about 3 lbs...vs 25+ for the spare and jack
what would u recommend me to increase horsepower for my v6?

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
what would u recommend me to increase horsepower for my v6?
if you are going to race it against other vehicles, you will have to go with a super charger, turbo, or nitrous to really win.

the car is too heavy (~4000 lbs), the engine is too light on torque (286 ft/lb), and the rear end is too high geared (2.65 or 3.07) to realistically expect to win races without forced induction on the engine.

You can do all the small stuff like a tune, reduce weight, etc., but as long as that engine is naturally aspirated and in that car, you will be one of the slower contestants in any race.

that’s just the reality of the situation I’m afraid.

don’t feel too bad, I’ve got Almost 400 ft/lb of torque and almost 400 hp in my car, but since it weighs about the same as yours (too damned much) and has probably the same rear gears (2.65), I would lose a lot of those races too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,686 Posts
268 ft/lb ;)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 112 Posts