Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting this, and I have a couple of questions if anyone has tried already.
First, I have a 2018, so I need some type of bypass for the OBD, right?
Do I need that , or can I do reads and test the software without the OBD security bypass?
Anyone else using it on a 2018+? What features did you find interesting?
I would use the Android version and I currently have 3 different OBD Bluetooth adapters, so I assume one of them will work. Best bet is probably my Carly adapter that I purchased for Carly software to enable some features on my 2005 Mercedes SLK. It also has a power button on it and pairs better than the generic ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used it but I have a 2010. I have programmed some keys, added steering wheel controls, evic, and a compass. I'm pretty sure you need the bypass cables for 2018. Download the free version and test your adapter and see what happens. I got my money back just on the 2 keys I programmed. I'm using a $24 adapter that I had.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I downloaded the demo, now to find my adapters. (in the process of moving from one house to another.)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
So I played around with alfaOBD and yes you can change some things like fog lights, add sport mode, SRT pages (still won't activate my performance pages though)...like the Tazer...but to me it is more useful as a diagnostics tool.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
672 Posts
I have a friend over on www.cumminsforum.com that is quite knowledgeable in regards to AlfaOBD. He actually joined over here after I asked him to lend a hand to a couple of guys.

@Jimmy07

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used AlfaObd extensively on my 2015 Charger (which is very close to a Challenger, electronically speaking). I recommend it in general. I recommend getting an OBDLink MX interface, Bluetooth, and use it on an Android phone.

Be careful that AlfaObd currently does not officially support vehicles after 2017. It might not have the proper protocols to communicate with your car, which means that the BCM settings might have changed values or location, and that you might be editing the wrong settings if you force it.

You also need to connect directly on the CAN bus to bypass the Security Gateway Module, and you need to bypass the two can bus (if you use the Tazer double bypass, it only supports one can bus from what I've read).

General word of caution : Make sure logging is enabled if you plan to change your BCM settings, so you can revert changes if you screw up. Be careful. Modifying the wrong settings car really mess the car up badly.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I found my OBD - Bluetooth adapter (CarlyOBD) and fired up Alfaobd. It connects but does nothing that I can figure out. I tried Torque and it works great, so my OBD connection is OK. Once I verify that it works, I will look into bypass cable.
This is the adapter I have, it was from when I had a Mercedes SLK, it was impressive what their software could do including reading txts from your phone in the dash on a 2005 car! ANother nice thing is, it has a red led, and a power button, so you can actually turn it off instead of unplugging it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, FWIW, I have seen people commenting on Challengers not being supported but this is what is listed under Dodge now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a security bypass harness for my 2018 Ram 1500 and it will allow you to connect like a 2017 Ram or older, maybe it will work on Challengers? I might try it with Alphaobd on my 2015 Scat Pack. Kaodtech.com makes this harness, he’s on Ramforum.com.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
I use a bypass on my 2015 challenger for my tazer. If you use one with a BT OBD interface you might drain the battery over time as they generally don't go into a sleep mode like the tazer...at least my interface does not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts