Dodge Challenger Forum banner

infotainment Uconnect rear back-up camera on 2015 Dodge challenger RT not working

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ChallyTatum 
#1 ·
I just recently bought the infotainment 8.4 inch uaq with navigation and car play. I accidentally purchased the one for the charger but Infotainment said it wouldnt matter and that its essentially the same device. Of course when I hook everything up the rear back up camera won't even show on the display. Does anybody know how to correct this issue?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. To run a UAQ in a 2015 (RA3 or RA4 were the available radios for 2015-2016) you need to switch the media hub out and also if you had heated/vented seats you will lose the ability to control them manually.

I think the charger radio should work in a challenger (I have read of guys installing radios across models with no issue) but you may need to check if the BCM is still setup for a rear camera. Usually this is something that has to be done at the dealership but there is software called alfaobd that can let you do this yourself. All you need is a compatible OBD2 interface.

The free version of alfa will let you read your BCM configurations which is where you want to see if rear view cam is set (below is a screenshot of my 2015 RT M6 - I also linked a copy of my BCM read so you can compare to see what other features need to be set).

If this is over your head then post up a read of our BCM module obtained from alfa. If you need help using alfa we can walk you thru it.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. To run a UAQ in a 2015 (RA3 or RA4 were the available radios for 2015-2016) you need to switch the media hub out and also if you had heated/vented seats you will lose the ability to control them manually.

I think the charger radio should work in a challenger (I have read of guys installing radios across models with no issue) but you may need to check if the BCM is still setup for a rear camera. Usually this is something that has to be done at the dealership but there is software called alfaobd that can let you do this yourself. All you need is a compatible OBD2 interface.

The free version of alfa will let you read your BCM configurations which is where you want to see if rear view cam is set (below is a screenshot of my 2015 RT M6 - I also linked a copy of my BCM read so you can compare to see what other features need to be set).

View attachment 1005680

If this is over your head then post up a read of our BCM module obtained from alfa. If you need help using alfa we can walk you thru it.

will the back up camera work if I haven’t repalce the media hub yet? Or is the media hub just for CarPlay?

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

There have been a handful of threads about people having issues after installing newer radios in older cars. But the issues have mostly been related to the loss of Sport Mode or other controls. And it seems that the 2015 cars are the most affected. If I were you, I'd dump this problem squarely in Infotaiment's lap. The Infotainment website says that your new radio should be programmed to work with your backup camera. So, if it's not working ... it's on them.

Infotainment.com said:
  • If your Challenger is a 2015 and currently features heated seats, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and/or sport mode you will lose the ability to manually turn these features on/off. However, the automatic control of the seats will still function. We hope to have a solution for this in the near future.

As much as I'd like to have Car Play in my '15 SRT 392, I think I"ll learn to live without it.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

There have been a handful of threads about people having issues after installing newer radios in older cars. But the issues have mostly been related to the loss of Sport Mode or other controls. And it seems that the 2015 cars are the most affected. If I were you, I'd dump this problem squarely in Infotaiment's lap. The Infotainment website says that your new radio should be programmed to work with your backup camera. So, if it's not working ... it's on them.

As much as I'd like to have Car Play in my '15 SRT 392, I think I"ll learn to live without it.

By the way .... you may also encounter issues with future software updates. There are updates that are specific to a certain range of VINs. However, neither Dodge nor Uconnect seem to have a way of updating their databases so they'll know your car has a new radio purchased through the aftermarket. Simply put ... their systems will always think your "new" OEM radio is still in the specific Dodge Charger where it was installed at the factory. So you would need that vehicle's VIN to get a download.
As I mentioned in my post, besides losing the heated/vented seat manual control (there has yet to be a solution for this on 2015s) you also need to change the media hub as the 2015 hub is not compatible with a UAQ radio.

Also I don't think the radio is programmed but instead the BCM configuration is modified to allow for backup camera. For example, when I programmed launch control it required modification to the BCM to enable this feature not the radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.