Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2015 sxt, did the upgrade from the factory 5 inch to the infotainment 8.4. Was easy to do, but have 2 issues. There was a tan plug on the factory unit, there is no tan plug on the 8.4 but there are a few others. Not sure what one to plug it in to. Also it displays "invalid destination code" on the screen. Other than that everything looks fine and it works great! thanks for any info...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does Sport Mode work? Which radio did you get?
RA3 or RA4?
Well 8 might need a kakra c to k adaptor cable Infotainment sells them $19.99
Im waiting on my cable to arrive today and I will complete the 8.4 upgrade
My car has a blue cable the new 8.4 has no blue connection

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have a 2015 sxt, did the upgrade from the factory 5 inch to the infotainment 8.4. Was easy to do, but have 2 issues. There was a tan plug on the factory unit, there is no tan plug on the 8.4 but there are a few others. Not sure what one to plug it in to. Also it displays "invalid destination code" on the screen. Other than that everything looks fine and it works great! thanks for any info...
That is saying you need to enter the code from the radio. That normally comes on a tag. As for the connections They are keyed so only one will fit in each slot.

Does Sport Mode work? Which radio did you get?
RA3 or RA4?
Well 8 might need a kakra c to k adaptor cable Infotainment sells them $19.99
Im waiting on my cable to arrive today and I will complete the 8.4 upgrade
My car has a blue cable the new 8.4 has no blue connection
Yep my car had the blue one tucked under the rest of the wires. It was also keyed not to fit in any of the slots on the radio I got. I got the 17 UAQ and needed them to send me the correct keyed cable along with the gps receiver since my car did not come with that installed. Besides that issue my radio has worked great since I got it. Hope you guys have good exp with yours.
The sport button thing has lots of people with the 8.4 radio upset.

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is saying you need to enter the code from the radio. That normally comes on a tag. As for the connections They are keyed so only one will fit in each slot.

Yep my car had the blue one tucked under the rest of the wires. It was also keyed not to fit in any of the slots on the radio I got. I got the 17 UAQ and needed them to send me the correct keyed cable along with the gps receiver since my car did not come with that installed. Besides that issue my radio has worked great since I got it. Hope you guys have good exp with yours.
The sport button thing has lots of people with the 8.4 radio upset.

Ron
thanks for the info about the plugs being keyed, i will have a closer look and see if the tan one matched up to any of the ones not being used on the 8.4

one thing i did notice is that the fm reception is not that great, was thinking that connection is the antenna?

any idea where to enter that code that came on the tag? i looked through the menus and could not find anywhere to enter it.

thanks again :)

·
Registered
394 Posts

any idea where to enter that code that came on the tag? i looked through the menus and could not find anywhere to enter it.

thanks again :)
I believe you turn the car to acc or on and the radio says to please enter your code. The install video can be found here:

At 4:49 seconds ish he gets the screen that tells you to enter your anti theft code. That is the 4 digit code that came with the radio.

My radio was factory new so it never asked for a code(first time you turn on a factory new radio it mates to the car's vin.) So if I ever take it out and put it in another car it will require the code.
Sometimes also 1234 or 1111 works for these as well. I am not familiar with the steps to ask for the code all my radio's were either installed by the dealer or brand new and never requested a code.

Ron

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
Some of the installs I have seen (5.0 going to 8.4) the guys either pressed the sport button (not sure if SXT trim has one), disconnected/reconnected battery ground or pulled the radio fuse and then were asked for a code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Instead of making a new post about this, what is the verdict on the upgrade? I have a 2016 challenger rt and have the 4.9 or whatever it is. I would like to upgrade to the new big screen with the navigation... what do I need and am I going to lose any features I already have? If im going to lose the ability to turn on sport mode on the car, I wouldn't do the upgrade.. Ive got the money for the radio, but Im really not looking for a $1500 "risk" on if everything will work like its suppose to.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Instead of making a new post about this, what is the verdict on the upgrade? I have a 2016 challenger rt and have the 4.9 or whatever it is. I would like to upgrade to the new big screen with the navigation... what do I need and am I going to lose any features I already have? If im going to lose the ability to turn on sport mode on the car, I wouldn't do the upgrade.. Ive got the money for the radio, but Im really not looking for a $1500 "risk" on if everything will work like its suppose to.
As Chally pointed out there are lots of people that commented on a few threads about this. If you want to know though without reading any of them. Everything works that came with the car and you get other options that did not work before like Siri Eyes free, What wont work is things you did not have before like performance pages. If you have siris/XM now you would still have it after you updated. Again you dont lose any features you have you only gain features. However you dont gain features like PP's and other items dont work like the apps and hot spot capability of the radio(PP you can enable through items like the Tazer, but Hot spot and app features that require a uconnect account cant be made to work.)
When I did the swap I actually got PP to work by adding the remote start feature(dealer installed and reprogrammed the radio, after that I had the dodge PP) got a tazer to enable all the other items.

Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
As Chally pointed out there are lots of people that commented on a few threads about this. If you want to know though without reading any of them. Everything works that came with the car and you get other options that did not work before like Siri Eyes free, What wont work is things you did not have before like performance pages. If you have siris/XM now you would still have it after you updated. Again you dont lose any features you have you only gain features. However you dont gain features like PP's and other items dont work like the apps and hot spot capability of the radio(PP you can enable through items like the Tazer, but Hot spot and app features that require a uconnect account cant be made to work.)

When I did the swap I actually got PP to work by adding the remote start feature(dealer installed and reprogrammed the radio, after that I had the dodge PP) got a tazer to enable all the other items.

Ron

Thank you. Right now i have no gps, no Sirius and no back up camera. I would like to gain Apple CarPlay, gps, and Sirius. It would be nice if Spotify and stuff worked through the Apple carplay, but it’s not a deal breaker. I assume since I don’t have a Sirius antenna that I would need to also order one and install it too? My friend does have a tazer I can borrow to enable stuff. Again, thank you for taking the time to comment back and help ease some of my worries.

Anthony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thank you.... I would like to gain Apple CarPlay, gps, and Sirius. It would be nice if Spotify and stuff worked through the Apple carplay...

Anthony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that would work with the gps/Sirius antenna. Carplay works like it does everywhere so if you have spotify on the phone and its carplay enabled then spotify would work through carplay. I have no apps currently that work with carplay so the only items i have are the default apple maps and music and messenger.
Some cars have the antenna installed so nothing else is needed other cars you need the gps or gps/Sirius antenna to work properly. My car did not and infotainment sent me the gps antenna but to get both would cost the 100+ for the combo antenna.

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts