Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to get the shift light working on my innovate PSB-1 (3 in 1 gauge -- AFR/Boost/Shift light). Per their instructions, I tapped into the control (negative) wire of one of the injectors (#7 - back cylinder on driver's side). According to Mopar Connection Repair the wire is Brown/Yellow (image attached). I wired it up and the RPM is way off, at idle it reads 540 RPM (car shows 750 RPM) and at partial throttle the gauge shows 1100 RPM (car shows 2300 RPM). I looked at the manual for the gauge and the only settings you can change are pulse/revolution (default is 1) and RPM scale (only gives two choices 10230 and 20460 -- default is 10230). I am going to reach out to innovate Motorsports but they are closed on the weekends so I thought someone here might have run into this problem and may already have the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ah, I figured it out. I connected the PC to the gauge (took a while to get the correct driver for the serial-usb adapter to work in win 10...I hate this F'ing adapters) and it shows that it was set to 2cyl instead of 1cyl mode. That is weird because the gauge was showing 1cyl setting. I programmed the meter using the PC and all is good!

I also played around with logging directly from the meter and was surprised to see that at about 1500 RPM (just sitting in the garage and slowly stepping on the gas pedal) I get a lean condition. There is a definite stump at this spot. Granted I have not updated the tune (I am running forced induction) since the headers was installed, I decided to bump up the fuel at 1-3k by 10% (thought it would run rich) and it helped but I still get a lean condition and a slight stumble. Check out the attached graph (magenta is AFR....black is RPM....dark red is MAP). Anyone who logs ever see this? Now I am wondering how much fuel I need to add to make it safe to take some logs?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW I set the shift light to 1100 rpm to see if it will work and boy does it....no way I will miss seeing it during the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it looks like I am still seeing a difference in RPM between the Innovate and Diablo. I had both the diablo and innovate logging while I revved the engine 5 times and the difference can be as much as 1700 RPM (see attached images). Not sure what is causing this and I would like to get it right otherwise the shift light is worthless. I am going to give Innovate a call tomorrow. Wonder if I can use the crank sensor signal as a more reliable tap for RPM?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for all the posts but hopefully this helps others.

So I was able to reach innovate motorsports and they believe that the unit is getting a noisy (ringing) signal from the fuel injector and they recommended a tach adapter. On our challengers, to use the tack adapter correctly you must tap into every ignition coil which is too much of a hassle. I am going to hook up my scope and see how bad the signal is (should have done this beforehand) and if I can add some filtering to clean it up. As a last resort I may just tap off the crank sensor but that would require some circuit wizardry but should be way more accurate...or if I smarten up I may just use the trinity which pulls it from the OBD bus directly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts