Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve learned quite a bit in my years on this forum, but always find there is so much more. So thanks to all of you and once again I’m in search of knowledge and opinions. I recently returned from a deployment and between some saved money from that and tax returns I was able to final pay off my car. This isn’t the reason for any new upgrades, but the fact that I have a few extra bucks and it’s been a couple years now since my last upgrade/purchase. So the wife said I could spend a little. I should also mention that I am stationed in Germany again and am somewhat limited as to what I can order. Mostly the size of items, but also some companies will not ship to a Military APO (Army Post Office) address. Otherwise I would save up and have [email protected] send me their SC package. That’ll have to wait till I return stateside. Anyhow....

So I have about $1000-$1200 to spend. I do need to replace my Diode Dynamics LED fog light bulbs, because one just recently went out. So that will be $120, since I’m going to try their new brighter bulbs. I am also considering Oracle surface mount halos, found the color shift halos for $280. I have wanted halos for quite sometime, but am torn between getting the surface mounted ones and waiting to get headlamp integrated halos. A difference of roughly $600-$700 between the two.

So below is the list of items I am looking at that are non-cosmetic. However, what I would like to know is are these a good route or should I reevaluate my options.

1. Barton shifter (currently have the burst short throw and hate it)
2. Speedlogix rear tension arms- Speedlogix Billet Rear Tension Arms 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum
3. Speedlogix front sway bar link- Speedlogix Solid Billet Front Sway Bar End Links 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum
4. Speedlogix rear sway bar link- Speedlogix Solid Billet Rear Sway Bar End Links 2005-2018 Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Here are my thoughts, questions, and vehicle background info. It’s a 2013 SRT8 6 speed manual. It has the Mopar lowering springs, Speedlogix font & rear strut/shock tower braces, hurst short throw, catch can, Airaid CAI, and Diablo canned tune. That’s it for upgrades other that some cosmetic items. I don’t do and road course racing, Autocross or drag racing. However, I would like to get into road course races down the road. Like in a few years once retired from the Army. So I would like to keep that in mind when purchasing items now so I am nable t wasting money. For now though I like to drive the car hard in the corners, especially here in Germany on the back roads. Typical speed limit is 62mph(100kph) on country roads.

So what do you all think? Should I be looking more into adjustable components or totally different items? To be honest if I went with adjustable components I have no idea how to go about adjusting them. What I mean by that is what level of adjustment. Or is it always, give it a few turns and test drive to see how it feels. Man, I hope this wasn’t too much or too long and that I clearly put words to digital paper. So let me know your thoughts and thank you all in advance.

Edit: I am not necessarily committed to any of the listed items. If there are other options, other parts I should swap first or some parts that I should do in conjunction with each other.

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Definitely look into bigger/thicker sway bars.. that will help with any body roll and stay flat in the corners.

If you are wanting to mess with control arms, definitely go with adjustable. Now, in case you want to lower it further, you won't have to worry about alignment issues that way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have no opinion on your upgrade, but thanks for your service!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Definitely look into bigger/thicker sway bars.. that will help with any body roll and stay flat in the corners..

if you are wanting to mess with control arms, definitely go with adjustable now, in case you want to lower it further.. you wont have to worry about alignment issues that way
I agree. I installed the Whiteline swaybars on my Shaker and the difference in handling is day and night. :grin2:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Noremac and Gila. If I go with adjustable items how do i know where to set the adjustments? Or is it as I mentioned in my OP, that you go with a setting and then test and make adjustments as you feel necessary?

So far it sounds like sway bars, which I would say I might as well do the end links at the same time. Any more input from others would be greatly welcomed. And thanks again so far...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I got the front Petty’s Garage sway bar installed along with the new SX/Razor’s Edge end link. Went with the middle setting for now as per Wasp392’s suggestion. I also installed the Petty’s Garage sub-frame connectors. Only took it around the block yesterday after I finished. Feels great, but I’ll really find out today after I give her a bath and then hit the road. I also put my summer tires/wheels back on. This is going to be fun.

I’ll do the rear bar and end links when my Speedlogix rear tension arms come in.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well everyone. It’s been over a year and I am finally getting around to providing a write up to my sway bar (front & rear) install, along with the end links and lastly the rear tension arms. Sorry @ Challytatz for not getting this done sooner. Also, I won’t get this all done right now. Going to start the post, but then have to go detail the car since I’m dropping it off tomorrow to get shipped back to the states. Has to be nice and clean for customs.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks for your service! I am retired military and was stationed at Spangdahlem AB in Germany in the late 90's. Love it there, such a beautiful country. It was cool driving on the Autobahn!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your service! I am retired military and was stationed at Spangdahlem AB in Germany in the late 90's. Love it there, such a beautiful country. It was cool driving on the Autobahn!

Thanks Tshane and also for yours. We head d back to our home in Pinehurst, so perhaps we’ll be able to meet up sometime up in your area, grab some coffee and talk about the cars. We make trips up to the triangle every so often, mainly to hit up the stores that we don’t have down by us or just to get out of the house.

Tim

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks, I’ll continue with yesterday’s post later today (3 Jun 19). Going to be out and about today. Have to pick up a rental car now, since both front calipers on my wife’s Chrysler Aspen decided to sieze. I just replaced all the calipers last spring since they were ten years old, figured it would keep this exact thing from happening. Either way now, I have to deal with replacing them with all my tools gone already, shipped all our household goods over a week ago. Luckily left my older jack and car ramps for my landlord to have. Plus I always hang onto my one small tool set. I’ll just need to find a 22mm socket and torque wrench to borrow. Anyhow, I’m rambling, just is I’ll be busy with dropping off my Challenger and grabbing a rental today.

Later,
Tim

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Thanks Tshane and also for yours. We head d back to our home in Pinehurst, so perhaps we’ll be able to meet up sometime up in your area, grab some coffee and talk about the cars. We make trips up to the triangle every so often, mainly to hit up the stores that we don’t have down by us or just to get out of the house.

Tim

Actually I'm a little south and east of Pinehirst, I live in Hope Mills, just south of Fort Bragg...about an hour from you so that's pretty close! We'll definitely have to get together sometime! Have a safe trip back to the states!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it seems I am am missing some of my notes and photos. With that being said this may end up not being as thorough of a write up as I intended. So hat I am going to do is wait till I get back stateside and have my own big garage (compared to typical German garage) to work in. I will go through the process again and ensure that I do not lose my notes, maybe I’ll give recording the process a try.

Reason being for doing this..... The sway bars are squeaking pretty bad anyhow and need more grease on them. Also, there is some clunking sounds, but not the same as when the sway bar bushings are bad. I believe it is the fact that I am installed adjustable sway bar end links. There are no bushings on them, so it’s metal to metal. At least this is my assumption. If anyone has other ideas please let me know. I am also wondering if the noise is due to what I believe it is, is there a solution? It sounds as though parts are loose. Perhaps I should switch to non-adjustable end links that have bushings? Any thoughts are welcome.

Once again I apologize for the delay in a write up. Hopefully the end product will help folks in the future.

Tim

·
Registered
915 Posts
So it seems I am am missing some of my notes and photos. With that being said this may end up not being as thorough of a write up as I intended. So hat I am going to do is wait till I get back stateside and have my own big garage (compared to typical German garage) to work in. I will go through the process again and ensure that I do not lose my notes, maybe I’ll give recording the process a try.

Reason being for doing this..... The sway bars are squeaking pretty bad anyhow and need more grease on them. Also, there is some clunking sounds, but not the same as when the sway bar bushings are bad. I believe it is the fact that I am installed adjustable sway bar end links. There are no bushings on them, so it’s metal to metal. At least this is my assumption. If anyone has other ideas please let me know. I am also wondering if the noise is due to what I believe it is, is there a solution? It sounds as though parts are loose. Perhaps I should switch to non-adjustable end links that have bushings? Any thoughts are welcome.

Once again I apologize for the delay in a write up. Hopefully the end product will help folks in the future.

Tim

My links make the same noise, emailed speed logix and they claim its normal. Some of the comforts we give up for racecar parts lol. It could be that the link aren’t adjusted properly but yes metal on metal is noisy.

I bet she feels like your on rails though

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Tim

My Whiteline sway bars are adjustable and don't make a sound, and I don't see how they would when properly installed.

So tell me, how do you work on a car in a German garage? The passengers have to get out before the car is pulled in, and with the passenger side almost touching the wall, the driver's door still can't be opened all the way, and there isn't room to walk in front of the car if the garage door will close, nicht wahr. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Some noise is to be expected when changing things. Getting rid of cushiony rubber bushings for less compliant better handling ones that's the trade off. Double check tightness of all your bolts. My guess is they're all tight and the clunk is normal. Mine does it too.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I have checked tightness a few times just to be sure nothing is loose. I am cool with noise for improved handling. The noise I keep hearing just sounds “off” to me. Truly as though something is loose. I really don’t know how else to describe it. She does handle great though!

Either way I’ll get under there in a couple months, after it gets off it’s boat ride, and take a look at everything again.

Gila,

I was lucky enough to live in the same house all three times that I was stationed over here. The landlord built the house in 05-06 to rent to Americans, so the garage is a bit bigger. Really it’s a two car, one side for the downstairs apartment/living space and one for the upstairs. Two family home for those that aren’t familiar. That’s how they like to do it here, sometimes even more. Anyhow, I was always able to pull in and stay more to the middle to clear the wall, for passengers to get out. Depth was never really an issue. But clearance was never enough to fully open doors and doing things such as wheel removal where done in tight quarters.

First photo is the last (2nd) time I was stationed here and got the Challenger. Installing the Stage 1 springs. Second photo is from being here this time and doing the suspension work described in my OP. One of the photos that I found, not sure whee the rest went. Third photo is the truck I brought with me the first two times I was here. It actually fit in the garage, which my landlord loved, took a photo of and used in his on-post house advertising at the housing office. Miss that truck... diff blew up before moving here though and had to get rid of it. Well gotta go. Catch y’all later

Tim

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks guys. I have checked tightness a few times just to be sure nothing is loose. I am cool with noise for improved handling. The noise I keep hearing just sounds “off” to me. Truly as though something is loose. I really don’t know how else to describe it. She does handle great though!

Either way I’ll get under there in a couple months, after it gets off it’s boat ride, and take a look at everything again.

Gila,

I was lucky enough to live in the same house all three times that I was stationed over here. The landlord built the house in 05-06 to rent to Americans, so the garage is a bit bigger. Really it’s a two car, one side for the downstairs apartment/living space and one for the upstairs. Two family home for those that aren’t familiar. That’s how they like to do it here, sometimes even more. Anyhow, I was always able to pull in and stay more to the middle to clear the wall, for passengers to get out. Depth was never really an issue. But clearance was never enough to fully open doors and doing things such as wheel removal where done in tight quarters.

First photo is the last (2nd) time I was stationed here and got the Challenger. Installing the Stage 1 springs. Second photo is from being here this time and doing the suspension work described in my OP. One of the photos that I found, not sure whee the rest went. Third photo is the truck I brought with me the first two times I was here. It actually fit in the garage, which my landlord loved, took a photo of and used in his on-post house advertising at the housing office. Miss that truck... diff blew up before moving here though and had to get rid of it. Well gotta go. Catch y’all later

Tim

That garage is huge for Germany, and it's the first German garage I've ever seen with anything in it besides a car! Thanks for the photos!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That garage is huge for Germany, and it's the first German garage I've ever seen with anything in it besides a car! Thanks for the photos!

Figured you would get a kick out of that.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually I'm a little south and east of Pinehirst, I live in Hope Mills, just south of Fort Bragg...about an hour from you so that's pretty close! We'll definitely have to get together sometime! Have a safe trip back to the states!

My mistake.... I thought you said you were up in the Cary area. Maybe that’s someone else. Hmmm.... My memory isn’t that good anymore. Hope Mills isn’t far either. I’ll be working on Camp MacKall. I’m sure we’ll get together at some point or drive past each other and not realize it. Lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
hemi1031
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing