·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,576 Posts
The link is not working for me, it just hangs. Anyways, it is possible for the clutch to go at low mileage considering the clutch delay valve tends to make them slip on purpose...which could be an indication that the previous owner liked hard launches (if I had an SRT I would drive it like it was stolen). As for electrical concerns (I don't know the specifics on this vehicle), but the 2015s had a recall on the instrument cluster and a few updates on PCM and uconnect software. Get the vin and do a recall search.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Main things to check are whether:

1) the rear diff whines
2) the lifters are noisy at around 1200-2000 rpm
3) the rear axle half boots are not leaking
4) the transmission shifts nice and smooth in all gears, especially check the 1 to 2 shift for any nibble

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am currently shopping around for 15+ SRT's has to be a manual car as well. I am looking at this at the moment, mileage is decent, but the carfax concerns me, clutch was replaced at really low mileage, then it was sold at auction, then the electrical system checks concern me, could you guys give me some feedback

https://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=481214940&zip=19352&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=distanceASC&startYear=2016&searchRadius=100&transmissionGroup=MAN&mmt=[DODGE[CHALLENGER[CHALLENGER|SRT]][]]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Here's are corrected links to both the car and also the CARFAX, plus the original windows sticker from Dodges Monroney Library. Looks like clutch replaced at 212 miles, radio replaced at 5700 miles and a heating/AC system check a little further down the road. Several notations on electrical system checks and it was a leased vehicle and Dodge Certified Used at one point too. This one would tend to make me fish around for a better catch, still, it does look nice from watching the dealer video. If you are intent on pursuing it I'd at least get an AutoCheck report on it if you are serious and see if it comes up with additional history info before moving any further.

Car Dealers Listing

CARFAX Report

Original Window Sticker

--------------------------------------------//----

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
What would bother me is the fact the first person bought out the lease and took the car to auction after less than 7 months of lease/ownership. There is always a reason. It might be as simple as he was able to make a decent profit doing this; or, as complex as he felt/knew there were issues beyond the clutch. Personally, I'd stay away from it; but, I'm overly cautious when it comes to spending that kind of money. And, yes, I'm the guy that bought his '13 R/T over the internet without ever seeing it from a dealership 700 miles away that I had never before heard of. But, I did a lot of homework. If you've done your homework and are comfortable, go for it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice, everyone, I feel the car has some sort of underlying issues, while it looks great in pictures, the clutch replacement and flipping at auction scares me, along with what seems could be electrical issues. it's looking more and more like I'll be leasing a new one

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
clutch replacement would have no bearing on this for me, why because the part was probably defective and replaced, saving somebody down the road from having to replace it out of pocket prematurely. As far as ownership well when your dealing with leases and such things change hands. A few dealers I work with refuse to sell their own trades and sometimes leases, or they simply don't think there is a market at their store for that lease turn in. So a lease is turned in and off to auction it goes as unless the dealer buys it, it still the lease companys vehicle. As far electrical hard to say.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Clutch replacement as such low miles = factory defect. A non issue. However, being sold at auction would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't touch it. Good thing you did your research. You'll be paying big money for your car. You don't want to buy what somebody took to an auction.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Clutch replacement as such low miles = factory defect. A non issue. However, being sold at auction would be a deal breaker for me. I wouldn't touch it. Good thing you did your research. You'll be paying big money for your car. You don't want to buy what somebody took to an auction.

Something like 70% of all leases go to auction. Majority of used cars on a dealers lot is from an auction for that matter. Auction means nothing. The fact that its used means the car could have changed hands twice or 100 times really doesn't matter how its bought and sold. Things like salvaged titles/rebuilt titles, actually maint history should be things you look at. Thing is for any given dealer they only have a market for so many vehicles and certain kinds at any given time, if they don't got it, it goes to auction. Just about any dealer ive traded in at, either never keeps a trade and send it to auction, or they give it two weeks and it doesn't sell it goes auction.
Kind of why you have to take car fax with a grain of salt, it can alert you to things but then again without background information it means little just the clutch issue. If you look at ownership history on any car fax if you see it show up at a dealer sold, then being sold again out of state or in a different town it went to an auction. Chances you have owned a car that came from an auction or will go to one.

I'm not a huge fan of Carfax, they give you information that be gotten for free, you can check VIN with DMV to check for title history, and as long as the car serviced at a dealer for that brand you can go to a service desk and ask for all of it as well. Only thing car fax can do is accidents, but then again ive had accidents that show up or ones I didn't claim. It is what is I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The repeated electronic problems would keep me away...

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
For a 2015 that's top dollar price and with a history it has, I wouldn't buy it. I found a 1 owner 15 srt 392 for 29k, 6k plus under book value. I would keep searching. There are better deals, I travel out of state to get mine. Mine was on Cargurus.com

Here's an example off cargurus with low miles (16K), one owner, clean carfax in the price range your looking at. Many others to look at, some cars worth the extra travel to go get.

https://www.libertyfordsolon.com/used/Dodge/2015-Dodge-Challenger-6744fb330a0e0ae92ab48a9601e4391f.htm

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For a 2015 that's top dollar price and with a history it has, I wouldn't buy it. I found a 1 owner 15 srt 392 for 29k, 6k plus under book value. I would keep searching. There are better deals, I travel out of state to get mine. Mine was on Cargurus.com

Here's an example off cargurus with low miles (16K), one owner, clean carfax in the price range your looking at. Many others to look at, some cars worth the extra travel to go get.

https://www.libertyfordsolon.com/used/Dodge/2015-Dodge-Challenger-6744fb330a0e0ae92ab48a9601e4391f.htm

it's actually a 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Something like 70% of all leases go to auction. Majority of used cars on a dealers lot is from an auction for that matter. Auction means nothing. The fact that its used means the car could have changed hands twice or 100 times really doesn't matter how its bought and sold. Things like salvaged titles/rebuilt titles, actually maint history should be things you look at. Thing is for any given dealer they only have a market for so many vehicles and certain kinds at any given time, if they don't got it, it goes to auction. Just about any dealer ive traded in at, either never keeps a trade and send it to auction, or they give it two weeks and it doesn't sell it goes auction.
Kind of why you have to take car fax with a grain of salt, it can alert you to things but then again without background information it means little just the clutch issue. If you look at ownership history on any car fax if you see it show up at a dealer sold, then being sold again out of state or in a different town it went to an auction. Chances you have owned a car that came from an auction or will go to one.

I'm not a huge fan of Carfax, they give you information that be gotten for free, you can check VIN with DMV to check for title history, and as long as the car serviced at a dealer for that brand you can go to a service desk and ask for all of it as well. Only thing car fax can do is accidents, but then again ive had accidents that show up or ones I didn't claim. It is what is I guess.
Appreciate your input here. However, that's not where I'm coming from. Since it's likely that the auctioned car came from a lease, I won't buy it. Here's why:
I look at leased cars the way I look at rental cars. Many people lease a high performance car with no intention of keeping it. That spells KEEP AWAY to me as a buyer. Of course I realize that a percentage of owners lease a car and take very good care of it. But it would seem to me that a majority of those who return a lease never intended to keep it. Does that make sense? If that's true, then this is a recipe for abuse. The same mindset that says "who cares, it's just a rental" would be likely to show up with a short term lease as well. It's just human nature, and the fact that these are performance cars only multiplies the risk. Those who intend to keep their cars for a long time tend to take very good care of them. Only stands to reason that those who do not... don't. Again, just human nature. That matters to me as a buyer.
We gamble every time we buy used. I get that. But every gambler knows you've got to know how to play the odds. That's what I'm talking about here.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Appreciate your input here. However, that's not where I'm coming from. Since it's likely that the auctioned car came from a lease, I won't buy it. Here's why:
I look at leased cars the way I look at rental cars. Many people lease a high performance car with no intention of keeping it. That spells KEEP AWAY to me as a buyer. Of course I realize that a percentage of owners lease a car and take very good care of it. But it would seem to me that a majority of those who return a lease never intended to keep it. Does that make sense? If that's true, then this is a recipe for abuse. The same mindset that says "who cares, it's just a rental" would be likely to show up with a short term lease as well. It's just human nature, and the fact that these are performance cars only multiplies the risk. Those who intend to keep their cars for a long time tend to take very good care of them. Only stands to reason that those who do not... don't. Again, just human nature. That matters to me as a buyer.
We gamble every time we buy used. I get that. But every gambler knows you've got to know how to play the odds. That's what I'm talking about here.
I understand that and fair enough. But what I would say is this, most cars go to auction whether its a lease turn in or a trade in, so go to a used car lot youll never know. Ive known people who owned a car and there goal was to roast the tires off before trade in a few months down the line. I got ya on rental cars, those are what they are, but I think whether it be lease or own(frankly nobody owns cars these days as long as they have a note) people will beat on cars or treat them right regardless of how they financed. Ive seen it both ways to be honest. Either way there is a lot of opinion based risk management here vs data based or absolutes, but then again everybody has to do what is comfortable for them. I understand what you are saying and gambling I do, I just think when it comes to used cars your gambling all the time, I just don't think there is any fact based evidence to support a lease or a financed vehicle is going to net you better odds.

For me the purchasing method of the prior owner is irrelevant, if I am buying used I take the same risk regardless starting out. I can mitigate those risk by buying vehicles that are newer with less miles, less miles newer car, factually there is less time for abuse, doesn't eliminate it but lowers risk. I can also mitigate risk by asking about prior history if the dealer has it or the private owner, even though Car Fax is worth the paper its printed on, its a method. Talking to a prior owner if its at his house can tell you a lot, buying a used car from a dealer is needle in hay stack, you just don't know and theorizing on where the car from just doesn't help. Lastly I can mitigate my risk by giving the car a good look over signs of abuse, fixes are usually pretty easy to spot if you take your time. Even better take the emotion out of it and have a buddy or another mechanic take a look for you. FWIW ive owned and leased and took equally good care of vehicles.

To be honest for performance cars that are costing me in the 30-40k I always special order and buy new, it takes out all of the guess work. :grin2:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
**update, I went to look at the car, if only for shits and giggles, it's checkered past aside, I looked at the car for all of 30 seconds before deciding I wasn't even going to take it for a test drive, the car has lived a hard life, there were lots of scratches up front, the plastic trim under the headlights alone, looked as if someone had washed it with a scotch brite pad, a salesman approached "do you have any questions on it" my reply was simply, "sorry, its too beat up for me, but thanks"

Thanks for everyone's input on this, my search continues.........

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks for checking back in. I found a 2 year old SRT a year ago for 36k. It was perfect except for some extra wear on the front rotors. So far the car has run great. Just because a car is used doesn't mean it can't be in near perfect condition. You made the right call. If what you CAN SEE concerns you, just imagine all the stuff you CAN'T SEE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts