Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Good video.

Another video I have seen is one taken with a tire rolling over a piece of clear heavy plastic plate. One can see the tire tread on a dry surface and then when the plate is covered with water one can watch how the the water is dealt with.

Like someone once told me -- about something else but it applies in this case -- that tires work at all is impressive, that they work as well as they do is amazing bordering on miraculous.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
494 Posts
Pretty cool watching that. Dont know why he wouldnt wash his dirty hands before driving and handling his phone but thats just me.

Reactions: Nuke

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
Pretty cool watching that. Dont know why he wouldnt wash his dirty hands before driving and handling his phone but thats just me.
Yeah, I had to watch the video twice because the first time I didn’t see anything except his grubby hands touching the car’s interior.

And is it just me or was the tire deformation from the inside visibly favoring one side (the inside?). That would stand to reason with that wear pattern on the outside I think.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
Yeah, I had to watch the video twice because the first time I didn’t see anything except his grubby hands touching the car’s interior.
yes - nothing like having road grime, brake dust and rubber dust all on your hands all over the interior parts. I suppose this must be why so many favor black interiors - can't see the dirt, therefore it doesn't exist!

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I saw that this morning. Very cool.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I watched it with the sound off. Less drama. Yeah there is a lot of technology in tires, sure is interesting.
We're riding around on air.
But after you pointed out his hands, I was done. Was the battery going to die that quickly on the go pro that he couldn't clean up before trashing the car?
not cool, but if its R&T magazine, figures.
Parrott

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,468 Posts
Having been in counter sales in a retail tire store for about 20 years, more than once have I had customers request a simple “tire plug” in a section of the tire that was questionable.

Our store policy was to use a tire patch plug, so that required removing the tire from the wheel, thoroughly inspecting it for damage (most damage resulted in degradation of the inner liner from tire pressure being too low to support the weight of that tire and wheel combo because of the original puncture) and then remounting and balancing it.

It‘s easy to acknowledge the “no repair zone” based on the size of the patch plug overlap near the sidewall of the tire. As the tire and wheel assembly rotates, there’s the obvious flex present. A patch simply won’t hold in those areas.

So....for anyone that becomes disgruntled at a tire store’s policy regarding tire repairs, keep in mind that today is a litigation happy society, and their $20 revenue stream of improperly repairing a tire instead of selling you a new tire is extremely understandable.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
849 Posts
I saw that too. It gives me new respect for the job tires have. (And how important they are.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts