Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT Octane Red
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited, should have these installed in a couple weeks, i'm not brave enough to start ripping off door panels yet, so i'll let the shop do these.

Hopefully this will help the audio quality
:)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Don't you have a 2019? If so, I think you have the wrong speakers. You should have 3.5" for the dash, 6x9's for the doors and 6.5" speakers for the rear deck. This is for the 6-speaker systems. Unless you are going to a custom install and convert the rear deck speakers to 6x9's, but I can't imagine you are going to do that.

Just a heads-up!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
What’s the amplifying source for the sound, the factory head-unit, a factory amp, or an aftermarket head-unit/amp?

What is the specified RMS wattage of those Kickers? What is the nominal impedance of the Kickers?

How much the sound will improve after installation will largely depend on how well the speakers‘ RMS wattage spec matches up with the amplifying source’s output power capabilities.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't you have a 2019? If so, I think you have the wrong speakers. You should have 3.5" for the dash, 6x9's for the doors and 6.5" speakers for the rear deck. This is for the 6-speaker systems. Unless you are going to a custom install and convert the rear deck speakers to 6x9's, but I can't imagine you are going to do that.

Just a heads-up!
Thank ya, I was having that same discussion with the audio guy at the shop, told him 6.5s in the back, he said if they where they would snag the 6.5s to put in instead

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What’s the amplifying source for the sound, the factory head-unit, a factory amp, or an aftermarket head-unit/amp?

What is the specified RMS wattage of those Kickers? What is the nominal impedance of the Kickers?

How much the sound will improve after installation will largely depend on how well the speakers‘ RMS wattage spec matches up with the amplifying source’s output power capabilities.
Just using the stock radio at this time, I have the base system without an amp.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Thank ya, I was having that same discussion with the audio guy at the shop, told him 6.5s in the back, he said if they where they would snag the 6.5s to put in instead
The Chargers and 300s have 6x9s in the rear deck, that can lead to some confusion when acquiring speakers for these cars

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
You are going to want the replacement speakers to have a low RMS wattage rating then. The factory head-unit only has 14w RMS IIRC.

Also, make sure the replacements are 4 ohm and not 2 ohm. 2 ohm speakers could cause problems with the factory head-unit trying to power them at higher volume levels

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are going to want the replacement speakers to have a low RMS wattage rating then. The factory head-unit only has 14w RMS IIRC.

Also, make sure the replacements are 4 ohm and not 2 ohm. 2 ohm speakers could cause problems with the factory head-unit trying to power them at higher volume levels
Excellent, these are 4 :)

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts

That’s for the dash and doors. The rear deck speakers can be 2 ohm, but the dash and doors should be 4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a side note, i know i pissed off the dude over and over again when i kept telling him 6.5's lol, i'll enjoy watching them have to go get them off the shelf when they put them in :)

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
a side note, i know i pissed off the dude over and over again when i kept telling him 6.5's lol, i'll enjoy watching them have to go get them off the shelf when they put them in :)
It’s a mystery why the Challengers are different with the rear deck speaker size, but I can say from experience that 6x9s in the rear deck don’t sound any better than a set of 6.5s back there.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
360 Posts
I have the Alpine 6 speaker system with the 8.4" deck. I think it sounds pretty damn good myself and plenty loud.Good enough for me anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
I have the Alpine 6 speaker system with the 8.4" deck. I think it sounds pretty damn good myself and plenty loud.Good enough for me anyways.
OP has the base audio package, which is not near the quality sound output of your Alpine system.

The base audio package is truly disappointing as a modern automobile sound system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP has the base audio package, which is not near the quality sound output of your Alpine system.

The base audio package is truly disappointing as a modern automobile sound system.
my 2015 charger was the base, and it wasn't near as bad as this things stock base system

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
28 Posts
I just got done redoing mine today. I went with the Infinity 3 1/2 in the dash, and they made a world of difference for the highs; snare drums, cymbals, etc. I kept the front door speakers since I think that they sound fantastic for the bass guitar/drums. One guy here suggested an 8" midrange in the rear deck, and wow!!!!!!! I had an extra amp laying around, so run it for just the 8". I also disconnected both rears, and used that for my amp input for the 8". I did it all from the trunk too. I had the base system, 6-speaker, Alpine.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
I just got done redoing mine today. I went with the Infinity 3 1/2 in the dash, and they made a world of difference for the highs; snare drums, cymbals, etc. I kept the front door speakers since I think that they sound fantastic for the bass guitar/drums. One guy here suggested an 8" midrange in the rear deck, and wow!!!!!!! I had an extra amp laying around, so run it for just the 8". I also disconnected both rears, and used that for my amp input for the 8". I did it all from the trunk too. I had the base system, 6-speaker, Alpine.
The guy who suggested that 8” midbase speaker in the rear deck is a lunatic, delusional, and probably a wanted felon...well, a felon for sure, but it’s only a matter of time before he’s wanted too!

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Just my $140....
So did you get that 8” to bolt up from underneath without a problem? I figured an adapter would surely be required, but that was coming at it from the top. Didn’t occur to me to come up from the bottom...

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
28 Posts
Yes, easy as heck. They already have a thick reinforcement ring, so it won't vibrate. My speaker holes weren't the same diameter, so I drilled them at an angle and I can hang off that thing if I want. Oh, I did have to peel a sound deadener cover off first.

20200512_123643_resized.jpg
20200512_102227_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Yes, easy as heck. They already have a thick reinforcement ring, so it won't vibrate. My speaker holes weren't the same diameter, so I drilled them at an angle and I can hang off that thing if I want. Oh, I did have to peel a sound deadener cover off first. View attachment 994862 View attachment 994863
I may have to mount mine from underneath when I transfer it over to my 2014. That’s a lot better than the homemade bracket I have for mounting on top of deck. The sub sits underneath it in the trunk and tends to loosen up my bracket bolts periodically

1 - 20 of 29 Posts