Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes, easy as heck. They already have a thick reinforcement ring, so it won't vibrate. My speaker holes weren't the same diameter, so I drilled them at an angle and I can hang off that thing if I want. Oh, I did have to peel a sound deadener cover off first. View attachment 994862 View attachment 994863
What car do you have? In your first picture, it almost looks like you have 6x9's in the rear deck - but maybe that is just the way it looks because of camera angle or something?

Also, how did the 8" sub work out for you? I've never heard anyone that actually thought they performed well in the rear deck - just curious what you think.

Lastly, where you able to reinstall the "cover" after the sub was installed in the rear deck? Or doesn't it fit anymore because of the sub?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
What car do you have? In your first picture, it almost looks like you have 6x9's in the rear deck - but maybe that is just the way it looks because of camera angle or something?

Also, how did the 8" sub work out for you? I've never heard anyone that actually thought they performed well in the rear deck - just curious what you think.

Lastly, where you able to reinstall the "cover" after the sub was installed in the rear deck? Or doesn't it fit anymore because of the sub?

Thank you!
It’s a Charger, that’s why they look like 6x9s - they are!

and it’s not an 8” sub mounted in the center, it’s an 8” midrange speaker

I have the same setup in mine, although I no longer power the coaxials on either side. I bridged their channels into a mono signal to power the 8” midrange in the middle

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It’s a Charger, that’s why they look like 6x9s - they are!

and it’s not an 8” sub mounted in the center, it’s an 8” midrange speaker

I have the same setup in mine, although I no longer power the coaxials on either side. I bridged their channels into a mono signal to power the 8” midrange in the middle
Ah, I see! So what is the advantage of the 8" midrange in the rear-deck (vs. the 6x9's)? Just trying to understand the benefit of doing that.

Just curious.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Ah, I see! So what is the advantage of the 8" midrange in the rear-deck (vs. the 6x9's)? Just trying to understand the benefit of doing that.

Just curious.

Thanks!
No matter what type or size speaker I tried in the rear deck, and I tried many different kinds and sizes, they just never seemed to add much at all to the overall sound. Their contribution was negligible every time.

The mono midrange back there actually made a noticeable difference for my setup. Granted I don’t have a DSP, so maybe this could all be attributed to a map-adjusted system with weird dips and peaks in just the right spots, but either way I much preferred the sound of my system with the 8” midrange back there in place of the coaxials on either side.

One effect I can quantify is the delocalization of my sub’s bass notes. With that 8” midrange back there, I was able to let it cover the midbase frequencies down to 60hz or so, which let me lower my sub’s LPF to 60hz, and that both delocalized it and tightened up its output as heard from the front seats.

Before that, it was easy to tell where the sub was and it’s upper end notes were a little muddy sometimes

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
28 Posts
I can tell you one thing; it works. It used to sound like a bunch of speakers all over, now it "feels" like I'm in a concert hall. I hear the highs from the dash, feel the lows from the doors, and the rear fills in the gaps. I'm sure that I don't even have the amp adjusted right either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wonder how the base system sounds with upgraded speakers compared to the Alpine or even the HK? I was going to go with at least the Alpine, but IDK the more I think about it I rarely listen to loud music anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
I wonder how the base system sounds with upgraded speakers compared to the Alpine or even the HK? I was going to go with at least the Alpine, but IDK the more I think about it I rarely listen to loud music anymore.
the base system with upgraded speakers but no aftermarket amp will not sound as good as the alpine or HK stock systems. It might be close, but the other two will have more power for their speakers over the 14w or so that the base head-unit provides

·
Registered
2019 Charger Scat Pack
28 Posts
Like I said, do the dash speakers, with the stock amp, for a big change in highs; if you want more. I was happy with just that, and the stock front door speakers alone. I had the amp, so added the midrange for next to nothing. I don't like loud music anyway, just clear.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT Octane Red
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
All done today, definitely sounds so much better, i think the sub is necessary, you get a ton of highs back in with new speakers all around. The rear was 6.5, shop swapped me in another kicker for the others.

Need to go back and snag a bass knob, anyone have any example mounting points for those? The factory are absolute junk, these things are so lite.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts