Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Pull the wheels off and do a deep clean to remove all the existing and stuck on brake dust from the wheel drum, front of the wheel and the rear of the wheel (back of spokes). This may entail having to use a product like Adam's All Purpose Cleaner at half strength or Simple Green. But just make sure you don't let either of these products sit on the wheels or you will have another issue.

Then clean with normal car wash soap and water and dry thoroughly. After do a full clay bar treatment on the front of the spokes and the inside barrel. Best to use a piece that you don't want to use on the car paint any more. Then wash thoroughly again and dry.

At the end apply a 2 - 3 coats of a good carunba wax (Meguiar's Gold Class is good for this). If your wheels are not fully painted then make sure you apply the wax only to the painted parts (inside barrel, maybe back of spokes). If you have unpainted wheels then you can apply a sealant (Adam's Quick Sealant) to those parts and it will help in the protection of them. Don't forget to do the Brembo's also as this will help keep them cleaner too.

If your car is a daily driver then you should do this process at least a couple times a year. You will find that it really helps in washing off the brake dust that no matter what comes from the Brembos. Also, there are several wheel brushes that are nice and soft and will help with washing the wheels. I use a combo of a couple Adam's brushes including their Detailing brush and a super soft boars hair brush that they don't have listed any more.

Hope this helps. BTW - you will end up spending a day on this but it is well worth it as the wheels just shine and are so easy to clean afterwards.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Funny u bring this up as I just cleaned mine over the weekend while rotation my tires. The winter was not kind at all. The front rims were pretty stained inside and soap and water was not working. I had a bottle of meguires mirror glaze line. I think it was the fine cut cleaner. I will have to check but I had used it to restore the headlights on my truck so I figured I'd give it a go and I couldn't believe how easily it cleaned the wheels. I mean they were really stained and I wasn't very hopeful but they came out great. After that I applied adams quick sealant and the brake dust just wipes right off with ease. I think a sealant will last longer then a wax. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Here is a shot after cleaning. This was on the front and was the worst looking one.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
What would you guys recommend for the wheel wells?
I've tried some grease cleaner on my other car and it was too strong and the plastic kinda faded.
Something that will remove stains and burned rubber that's stock to it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Probably a putty knife to scrape off the hard stuff and something like simple green and a stiff brush. U have to be careful what u put on plastic. Some things r just to harsh and will discolor like u experienced.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I've always used generic brake cleaner and put an old sock on her hand and just rub on the inside of it to wipe away grime on the inside of the wheels. Works amazing.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Best thing to do is paint/plasticoat them black (blackout) like most that got tired of cleaning them, myself included...DONE

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
I've tried some grease cleaner on my other car and it was too strong and the plastic kinda faded.

I use Aerospace 303 for the wheel liners - a few applications and the stuff lasts.

The black plastics will look greyish w/o applying a protectant - the product I mentioned will make them look as new. Road crud cleans off easier as well.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I have the beautiful Envy wheels, painted in Mineral Grey, so I tried the Mothers Powerball 4 paint system. Wow did that work wonders! I also applied the FX SynWax that comes with it to the backside, after cleaning that up. The brake dust just slides right off when I hose it down. I'll be repeating this process again this spring.
Mothers® PowerBall 4Paint®

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
color won't fade?

Well I know the inner part of the classic wheels aren't exactly shiney anyway. I use a brake cleaner that foams up when spray it out of a can and I just smear it on and it's so easy to remove grime. I only do it when I rotate tires when the wheels are off obviously so not done very often. I'm just careful not to get any on the outside of the spokes where it's clear coated and polished and all that.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Adams makes THIS specifically for wheel wells.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah aerospace 303 is a must since I keep hearing nothing but good stuff about it. And those Adams wheel well cleaner looks like it's strong enough to do the job but not discolor the wells.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've used Turtle Wax Ice on my wheels, it stands up to brake dust pretty well. My Heritage wheels are spring/summer/fall wheels only. My winter wheels look a bit like hell.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try 303 and the powerball for paint too!

·
Registered
10,151 Posts
I've been using the "303" for over three years now. With 34k, the wheel wells look like new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts