Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a Hurst short shift kit and a SLP Line lock kit recently and after testing the line lock kit the very first time I realized that a toggle switch mounted anywhere but on the shift knob itself just wasn't going to cut it for me. I found several nice shift knobs with the momentary button/switch built in for $60-80 dollars but for some reason I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger since I just got the white Hurst shift knob I wanted for so long. So, of course the thought crossed my mind attempt to install a button on my brand new knob but I was hesitant that I would crack it or something. Well, I gave it a shot and it was very simple. I picked up a 6 piece set of glass drill bits (also good for plastics, ceramic and tile) ranging in size from 1/8" up to 1/2". I got them at Harbor Freight for $3.99. I also got a 2 part epoxy for plastics for $2.99 at Harbor Freight and a 12 volt momentary push button switch (normally open) at Fry's Electronics for $5.00. I also added a red LED to dress up the kit a bit and alert me when the system is armed as the SLP kit only comes with a black plastic non illuminated switch so if you accidently bump it the system could be armed and you may not know it but that's all off topic anyway.
To begin, the Hurst shift knob is plastic, I used a punch to put a small dimple where I wanted my hole for the button so the bit wouldn't drift. I put the knob in a vice (lined with a towel to prevent marring it), began drilling slowly with the smallest drill bit in the set 1/8". The knob is hollow in the center so when the bit pops through just step up to the next bit size and repeat until the hole is the size needed for your button, mine was 1/2".
Next I punched the knob on the bottom where I wanted to run my wires through, drilled it out to 1/4".
Threaded the wire through the holes and soldered them to the button contacts. Tested the switch before continuing, if good then proceed.
Mixed up the epoxy and coated the button threads and flush mount ring and pressed it into the shift knob firmly, should be a tight fit. The epoxy I chose dries transparent but I went ahead and wiped away any excess from the knob and button.
That's it, just wire it in series between the supplied toggle switch and the line lock solenoid and your done.
Less than two hours start to finish including the LED. Took her for a spin and works great, lovin it! The best part is that you can put the button anywhere on the knob you want. I made mine just a little higher than where my thumb normally makes contact so it's easy to use but not in the way when I'm not using it. $12.00 and didn't have to set my brand new Hurst shift knob on a shelf in the garage to collect dust. One other added bonus is that I used black wire, the shift knobs that I kept finding looked like they used some ugly heavy duty speaker wire, brown and tan, it mattered to me because it does run down the side of the shifter rod, I was going to heat shrink it if I bought one.
The installed picture shows the toggle switch supplied with the kit and the red LED I added, just in front of the shifter and the wires run down that side of the shift rod, barely noticeable.
knob button.jpg

knob2.jpg

knob3.jpg

knob4.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice write-up! That is a cool way to customize the position of the button.
Thanks man, I'm still lovin it! I love my super 44's too, nothing sounds better IMO, Flowmaster for life :headbang2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts