Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cabin air filter was not available on the 2008-2010 SRTs. They became standard on all 2011 models.

IF you have an older Challenger and want to install the housing assembly, you can order it from your dealer, for about $90 (Part #82209548). Installation takes approx. 45 minutes.

Here are the installation steps for the cabin air filter assembly:

Take the wipers off.
Pop out the plastic retaining clips.
Remove the strut/cowl bar and cowl panel to gain access to the air intake plenum.
Remove the (2) 10mm bolts that hold the center insert in place (this also holds the plenum box to the firewall) behind the plenum box.
Pry/pull the center air deflector insert out of the plenum box.
Install the new center section in behind the plenum box and in front of the firewall. (Tip- Get the drivers side in first and then work the passengers side in).
Once this was in place, reassemble everything just as you removed them (Tip- Use the new retainer clips that came in the kit).

Here are the hand tools that you will need:

15mm socket wrench for the (2) wiper arm nuts under black plastic covers.
13mm open end wrench for the (4) strut bar bolts.
10mm socket and extensions for air intake plenum insert. (swivel will help here)
Phillips head screw driver for the (2) 1/4 turn only outer cowl panel plastic retainers.
Door panel clip pry bar (Y-shaped to slide under retainer heads).

(Tip- The kit comes with a new plenum box, but you don't need to replace this as it is the same for vehicles with or without the filter. You really only need the insert that holds the filter, the filter, and new retainer clips, all of which are included in the kit).

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,404 Posts
I'm gonna have to look into this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,623 Posts
Reactions: DOM71

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,623 Posts
That's an install for models that never had a cabin air filter. Changing the filter is easy.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,623 Posts
Finally looked at mine today. Was so clean I didn't even bother to remove it to knock it off :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
634 Posts
I installed this several years ago in my 2010 SRT8. It's one of them mods that's a pita but you tend to take it for granted afterwards. I'm looking for a replacement filter for it now. The old filter that came with the assembly is 12.25" x 8.5" x 1.375". Looking for filters on Amazon will result in filters with incorrect dimensions... too short and narrow.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,623 Posts
I believe the part# is 4596501AB

Walmart of all places has dimensions listed of 12.15 x 6.94 x 1.19 Inches. I also found 12.5 x 9 x 5.5 inches. I think it may be package dimensions. Can you still see the part# on the filter?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
634 Posts
A lil later last night I kept digging and found a Premium Guard PC5677 filter on Amazon. It is the correct dimensions and is treated with charcoal to aid in filtration and only costs 18 bucks. The Mopar filter replacement is 04596501AB (same as what A Guy linked) but is a plain white filter that costs 30 bucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts