Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading here about all the oil which gets sucked into our Engines, I figured I should probably install some kind of Catch Can. Then I started the car about a week ago and got a little smoke on start up so I figured it was time.

The can I bought was CHEAP. ($20.00 and made of Aluminum!) It came with some sort of twisted, stamped piece of metal you were supposed to attach to the can with a hose clamp and then mount the bracket to your location of choice. I didn't like it and I had some uni-strut (or "Kindorf" as some people call it) lying around so I cut a 3" or so piece of it and then used my Dremel Tool to buzz 2 slits in it wide enough to fit a hose clamp through to mount the can to. I then mounted the uni-strut to the fuse panel bracket on the passenger side with 3 self tappers.

I think it came out Ok for a cheapie. I will say this, the cheap can has an external clear tube on it (See Pics) so that you can see if it has anything in it. I think this is a NICE feature. I was a little leary about vacuum leaks, but pressurized the can and it held 10 psi for 15 minutes so I figured this was good enough for my purposes. The can has a cap sealed with an O-Ring on the top. It also has a smaller cap sealed in the same manner on the bottom. (Can't see in the pics. I should have taken one before mounting.) Of course I had to go to the local Hardware store and pick up the fittings for the 1/2" hose (and the hose itself) so that added to the "Cheapie" Catch Can.

I changed the oil yesterday and installed the Catch Can immediately following. After some "Spirited" driving today, I took the cap off and actually found about a teaspoon of nice clean oil in there. So it IS working and I figure if I want to buy a "Better" Can later, I can mount it on the same bracket. A little flat black spray paint and it was a rather easy install.

At least I know I'm not sucking oil and fouling my plugs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Good job. If it works then thats all that counts.

·
Registered
197 Posts
LOL..I have the BT Can..Love it..but I bought a ebay Can as well..and the BT Can is in a box..the new Can is Chromed Steel and has a bottom drain (o-ring sealed) with a Red Anodized Top (o-ring Sealed) that matches engine bay color ..as well as a sight glass "Built in to the side of the Can" Again I really Love the BT Can..but this is a Eye Candy Can!!! The hoses are crap..but were be replaced easily..with Braided hose and Red anodized fittings..which I already had..Cost me $13 bucks shipped after I used my ebay bucks..

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I like the hoses looks like you Can you see the oil going through them? That would be kinda sweet really.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Two questions?
How do you empty it?
There doesn't seem to be any means to trap the vapor between the hoses, so I am wondering how effective it is? I know it caught some oil, but it have some means to trap the droplets like the two chambers in the BT with the steel wool.

Jack is right, sorry, but you can find used Cans for less than $100.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I looked at one of these when I first started my mod list. But, they just did look as nice as the billet version. I got a BT style shipped to my door $96 from moparsupercenter dot com.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
ive got one ebay can (looks awesome) and one moroso. Im running the moroso. if anyone wants my ebay can, I'll sell it to you cheap!

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
My buddy wore a bag on his waist for a year it looked alot like that CC..Actually works the same way...Hell it works WTB!
LOL! :ack:

I don't own a catch can. However if it were me I'd buy the better can - at least for aesthetics - that one calls a lot of attention to itself - and I don't think in a positive way. Just my opinion - it's the O.P.'s car and the O.P.'s money.

·
Banned
165 Posts
Sorry Dude, epic fail on that can. JMHO but don't quit your day job.

Nice try though.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry Dude, epic fail on that can. JMHO but don't quit your day job.

Nice try though.
Hey, for now it works. It DOESN'T have separate chambers so I'm sure a lot of vapor is just jumping through the can. It IS a sturdy mount though. Hey, I know it looks like I spent 15 minutes installing it...but I did just take 15 minutes to install it. Just SOMETHING for now which is better than NOTHING!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Keep an eye on those hoses. They will start to collapse over time. All you have to do is watch them at idle when vacuum is at it's highest level.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep an eye on those hoses. They will start to collapse over time. All you have to do is watch them at idle when vacuum is at it's highest level.
Yea, I thought it would be cool to be able to see into the hoses. You are however correct. Clear hoses + heat = collapse. I've already changed out to the very cool stock black "off the reel" hoses. :(

When I get a real can (When I install the KB SC) I will rethink the whole thing. For now it's better than nothing though. Does anyone make a billet can with better separating abilities that has some kind of a sight glass? (Although the sight glass isn't a must) Just being lazy as I'm sure there are some VERY good cans out there.

My son used to have an R/T Charger and he had a can made by someone further up in Florida who actually used to do some custom inscribing on a billet can if memory serves.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts