Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to installing one. I bought the Veckle Mini 0906 dual dash cam because it has quite good vid quality for its price point.

Also works with dashcamviewer.

Here is a snapshot from dashcamviewer---Front camera.

Here is a snapshot from dashcamviewer---Rear camera.

It also has a "park guard" mode but I am still waiting for the hardwire kit for it. Anyways, the reason I decided to install the cameras (literally only took 1 hour to mount the cameras and snake the rear camera cable to the front camera) is because there are way too many knuckle heads on the road besides me. The cameras are so small you can barely tell they are installed from the outside. I have the rear camera mounted on the 3rd brake light cover to avoid the electric heater lines and the front is mount in the center just behind the rear view mirror but just low enough to see the little LCD screen. I'll post some more pics of the install when I finish the hardwire kit.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pics of the install.

Front cam - outside

Front cam - inside

Rear cam - outside

Rear cam - inside

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
Thanks for that write up. Did you tap in to the rear view mirror for power?

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult was this to install? I can't handle anything above a 5 in difficulty. :(

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not received the hardwire kit yet so currently just plugging into the passenger cig lighter socket. My plan is to snake the hardwire through the driver A pillar where I can tap power from my gauge pods that I installed a while ago. If I did not have the gauge pods I probably would have snaked through the passenger side A pillar, and find a grommet on the firewall that I can pass the cabling thru into the engine bay. Once in the engine bay I would use the provided fuse tap. I'll give more details when I actually hardwire it.

Hardest part about the camera install is running the rear camera cable. I just popped off the passenger A and B pillar covers and used a fiberglass rod to snake the line through. I started from the passenger side window seal, snaked the rod until it poked through the B pillar, taped the rear camera cable to the rod, pulled it through, and hand snaked the cable past the A pillar and finally all the way up to the rear view mirror. There is a lot of excess rear camera cable which I stowed in the B pillar.

I would give the difficulty level a 2 only because snaking cables through the car can be a PITA.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just received the hardwire kit. It consists of 3 wires, constant power, ACC and ground. There is a module that converts 12V to 5V but it also detects when the car is running or off (via the ACC line) to tell the camera when to engage park guard mode (basically a low frame rate recording mode). The module also has a 4 position switch that allows you to select the min voltage to kick in battery save mode (i.e. turns off camera park guard if battery voltage gets too low).

I decided to tap in directly to the 12V power outlet harness.

Why? Because it contains all 3 connections I need and it is fairly easy to get to. Just need to add 5 amp inline fuses to the module lines, snake the micro USB connector up through the drivers A pillar and call it a day....is it Saturday yet?!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it is finally hardwired in. What I like about this set-up is if I don't want the camera to record in parking mode I just slide it out of the GPS mount and lock it in my glove box.

BTW here is a PDF providing some more wiring details.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,934 Posts
I run commercially with a 2018 RAM 4500. I bought a Garmin dash cam a few years ago. You are right when you say there’s plenty of knuckleheads on the road.

Here’s a link to one of mine I saved.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,734 Posts
Some nice pucker factor there, well they guy didn't stuff it into anything, I bet he had a hell of a time getting out of the median.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really digging the timelapse setting on the dash cam. Captured some cool cloud movement while the car was sitting in the parking lot at work.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
399 Posts
After over a year, how is the dashcam doing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts