Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Dorman Caliper Covers, I'm never going to upgrade brakes, after I painted and baked white, not a fan of red, also had to Macgyver the front ones on as they were too big, i like them. It is raining tomorrow so I didn't wash the car. Before & After...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: vpzyck

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
just so you know...they retain caliper heat ( think of it like wrapping a burrito in foil, to go in an oven),
expect shorter pad life, shorter fluid life, greater stopping distance when brakes have been used heavily due to more rapid on set of brake fade and longer cool down time.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is an sxt so I'm not pushing it to the limits, and it is a heatsink so it will actually dissipate heat better, physics sir...physics, more metal surface area= better heat dissipation

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
I am at least vaguely familiar with physics, including conduction, convection and similar things related to what an actual heat sink is, my being an engineer for most of my life.
I'm also familiar with real world test that show these covers cause the caliper to actually retain more core temp (ie:heat) and hold that heat for a longer period of time, than they would otherwise - being open to airflow within the wheel well & rim barrel, where heat is bled off.
That heat build up & retention, degrades brake performance & component life..but dont let that or the fact that NO race crew ( professional or otherwise), hyper, super or exotic cars of any kind, that are capable of extreme speeds ( and thus need extreme braking capability) use them, "because they work so well as a heat sink" to which many crews/cars battle with constantly, let that stand in your way...
If they make you happy, thats all that matters. I wasnt bashing, really just giving you a factual based heads up on the possible affect of your cosmetic mod.

Reactions: Dozertech

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Think what you want...yes all cosmetic, it is literally on the outside of the brake not encapsulating anything, I think it is no benefit or degradation, pure cosmetic, i think painting the caliper itself would probably keep the heat in more

Reactions: mailmanx

·
Registered
227 Posts
And anybody whose driving style over-heats their brakes to the point that those covers are (maybe) doing damage to the entire brake system should maybe re-think their driving habits and the effect those habits are (possibly dangerously) having on others! I think your calipers are 'extremely cosmetically pleasing. Enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
First, I am not a fan of caliper covers, to me they don't provide a benefit (well, they keep heat off your rims... ;) )
They are an appearance item, and for some people a heck of a lot easier (and safer) than painting calipers.
But ignoring that, I do like the white look on a white car, nice clean look without screaming "LOOK AT MY CALIPERS" would do if they were red,yellow, that kind of thing.
I wonder how bright (or even white) lug nuts would look as well.

And to show how Dodge/Mopar feels about them, well, they'll gladly take your money on them as well.

Reactions: Dr.Gainz

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah the stock calipers wouldn't look that great painted so i liked how these looked on my car theme, $300 is too steep for me for no benefit for mopar or some of the other covers, those were like $58 for same effect. I thought about white lugs too, I'm not sure if there are durable white lugs out there.

·
Registered
358 Posts
they look very nic. I have seen plenty of info saying they cool the caliper slightly. Yeah race cars don't use them so you shouldn't is just about the dumbest argument ever...Iguess I should start stripping every bulb from my car because race cars don't have lights.

I think the covers look much better than painting and ugly caliper. To many guys think you're trying to look like you have upgraded brakes...whe all you're relly doing is making it look better.

I just got mine in, doing drilled and slotted rotors, new pads, and the caliper covers.

These ar the covers I got.

Going on here

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those covers will look really nice. The thought of adding Brembo stickers was not on my mind lol

Reactions: steved13

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
455 Posts
Could you post where you got them from? Looking to do the same for my SXT as well

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
The sound of a rock getting wedged between that cover and your rotor is quite concerning. Ask me how I know.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
I'm not sure if there are durable white lugs out there.
See if you like the look without springing for lug nuts

A Guy

Reactions: Dr.Gainz and apex

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

A Guy
Thx! I'm pretty sure this is the route I'm going, testing it out is a good idea

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts

A Guy
Be careful searching for "nut covers", just sayin'
But that is what I was thinking, just remember the confusion it can cause come wheel removal time. reminds me of the Chevy Cavaliers (I think) where the hubcaps were held on with fake lug nuts that actually screwed onto the real ones.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Some of the Dodge and Plymouth wheel covers attached the same way, using plastic lug nuts over the metal ones securing the wheels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts