Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed the magnaflow high flow mid-pipes on my 2014 R/T 6M. They are in combination with the Borla ATAK catback. I will be leaving the factory manifolds on the car.

Upon a cold start, I immediately noticed that the car seemed deeper and smoother sounding... quieter but a little "lumpier" at at idle.

The drone between 1,800 - 2,200 rpms has been greatly reduced. You can still hear the exhaust note, but the cab resonance is nearly gone.

Haven't went WOT yet, but light and part throttle seems to be about the same sound level... definitely a deeper sound and possibly a little louder behind the car.

Overall, I was really surprised with the interior drone reduction from these mid-pipes.... I would have to assume that the exhaust velocity has changed and thus smoothed due to the improved flow.

The interior drone never really bothered me, but my wife wasn't fond of it. I would typically shift around it with her in the car. It was a little annoying at 80 mph or so on the freeway. (Right about 1,800 rpms).

No real butt dyno changes... I would imagine 5-10 rwhp on these since the R/T doesn't have high flow cats from the factory. The piping is far superior to the factory mid-pipes. No more necking down to 2.25" pipe in some areas. Fitment was excellent, however you will wrestle with them to get them on.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I installed the magnaflow high flow mid-pipes on my 2014 R/T 6M. They are in combination with the Borla ATAK catback. I will be leaving the factory manifolds on the car.

Upon a cold start, I immediately noticed that the car seemed deeper and smoother sounding... quieter but a little "lumpier" at at idle.

The drone between 1,800 - 2,200 rpms has been greatly reduced. You can still hear the exhaust note, but the cab resonance is nearly gone.

Haven't went WOT yet, but light and part throttle seems to be about the same sound level... definitely a deeper sound and possibly a little louder behind the car.

Overall, I was really surprised with the interior drone reduction from these mid-pipes.... I would have to assume that the exhaust velocity has changed and thus smoothed due to the improved flow.

The interior drone never really bothered me, but my wife wasn't fond of it. I would typically shift around it with her in the car. It was a little annoying at 80 mph or so on the freeway. (Right about 1,800 rpms).

No real butt dyno changes... I would imagine 5-10 rwhp on these since the R/T doesn't have high flow cats from the factory. The piping is far superior to the factory mid-pipes. No more necking down to 2.25" pipe in some areas. Fitment was excellent, however you will wrestle with them to get them on.
Thanks for the review.. question for you though. If you're catback had NO DRONE, like my Zoomers is it still worth the money and labor to get these "high flow" midpipes. You said no seat of the pants difference in power, and a slightly more deeper note. Is it worth it for a car that already has no drone and sounds good as it is?

I'm leaning towards no, but would like to know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I purchased them for my Maggie install. I believe the Magnaflow cats are metallic, whereas the stock cats are ceramic.

I thought the Magnaflows might stand up better to the rich nature of the supercharger tune.

Disclaimer though... I have removed my Diablo so I'm running them without a tune. If a car was tuned for them, then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a car gain 5-10 rwhp. I saw a dyno where they were good for 9 rwhp by themselves on another R/T.

Is 9 rwhp worth $500? Tough call. I just wanted my car to breath the best it could with the supercharger without going to headers.

I personally don't believe the factory manifolds are as bad as some think. I would be very interested to see the flow difference between them and shorty's with all else being equal.

Since Zoomers has no drone and your car is N/A... I would be on the fence with this mod.

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
535 Posts
How long did it take you on the install? Any issues removing the factory mid pipes?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was pretty tough getting the factory mid-pipe collectors to slip off the manifold studs. I had to pull and tug to get them off. Then I had to work the pipe back and forth where it connects to the catback. I had to spray some white lithium grease on the joint to get it move.

I've got 10" race ramps and I had room, but my shoulders are sore today. Took me about 2 hrs or so...

Not technical at all.. just somewhat labor intensive. You will need a 15mm deep well and a swivel to get to the collector bolts.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I was just tired last night or expecting more.... however on a cold start today, the exhaust is louder than it was with the factory cats. It is also louder on a warm idle. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe I was just tired last night or expecting more.... however on a cold start today, the exhaust is louder than it was with the factory cats. It is also louder on a warm idle. :)
I have Magnaflows on my SRT (6.1L) and I like them. I kept the stock cats for inspections but run these all year. PB Blast is your friend.

First go around it took me about an hour to get the stock ones off and swapped out. I'm now down to 20 minutes once the car is up. From start to finish car being jacked up, on stands, cats swapped and back down I average about 40 minutes. My wife came out to help me (hand wrenches, see if she's able to collect insurance if the car is on top of me :D ) and was asking when I was going to start on the exhaust. I was rotating my tires and I just smiled. I asked her to hold the brakes for me so I could get the front wheels off and swapped.

Once you do it a few times, you get the hang of it. I leave the catback on and just loosen things up. No need to remove it from the hangers. Just unbolt, remove the O2 sensors, and remove.

Only issue I have had is that about 2000 miles in, they burned in to the point they kick on the CEL. P0230/0240 codes. I bought mine through Speedlogix, and Mikey explained that this could occur over time. Stocks burn out too, high flows may go faster.

I run mine with Super 44's from Flowmaster and a reso delete. I'm an '08 (auto) so I don't get the awesome rumble unless I'm WOT or intentionally shifting through the auto-stick option. Sounds mean enough for me. I don't have any clips or sound bites for mine. It's hard to judge the difference unless you get around enough people with different setups. You have to get around to see what works for you. Drone for me has always been rough at 1250 RPMs. Nothing changes it from stock exhaust, stock cats, aftermarket catback, after market cats, or any combo. Even with resonators on the car, that was the sweet spot for mine.

Hope it turns heads, mine gets compliments for looks and sound from the older crowd. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I see this is an older post, so how are the mid pipes are working for you now? I am thinking about getting them for my 2013 RT, and I would like to know if you noticed any drop in lower rpm torque or power since my car has an automatic trans.
I plan on keeping the stock manifolds, but already have a magnaflow exhaust on it.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
This is an older thread, but wanted to get a follow-up. DodgeHemi did you ever do this mod and how's it workin out?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
This is an older thread, but wanted to get a follow-up. DodgeHemi did you ever do this mod and how's it workin out?
I decided not to install them because the price, plus the cost of installation for a couple of HP it is not worth it to me. And I did not want the dealer to have a reason to void my lifetime warranty.
I have read that when replacing the factory cats the dealers assume you are drag racing the car, and look real hard for a reason to voied the warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Gotcha, make sense. I was seriously looking at doing this, but agree..warranty concerns, cost and all...I bought 3 years extra warranty, I would like to be able to keep it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts