Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my BBK shorty headers install. I am running a 93 canned tune. Light came on after dropping the hammer. Says knock sensor...I returned to the stock tune and the light turned off. Have not floored it again but have drove it normally for about 30 minutes.

Anyone heard of this before? I was planning on getting a custom tune but wanted to wait since i just dropped $500 on the header install.

180 stat
Volant CAI
Straight Pipe Catback

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I got a CEL after I installed my BBK shorties, too. My code was for lean condition after the cats. Had my already-custom tune tweaked and the problem went away.

Short story, a custom tune can be very beneficial and you will probably get more performance gains vs. the canned tune.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
could be but I doubt it leaned you out that much. Are you sure your headers aren't hitting (rubbing) anywhere on the chassis? Or any part of your exhaust? Exhaust rattles will cause KNK sensors to read false KNKs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have not checked for leaks. Used the SRT gasket. The shop that did it has a very good reputation so I hope that the light is not from the install.

I am going to send Johan what he needs tonight for a custom tune.

I am also going to send BBK an email, not expecting anything from them just so they know there is an issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,104 Posts
Thanks for the help!

Rookie question: Is knock sensor issue coming from running too lean?
It can - lean conditions can cause hotter combustion chamber temps and trigger detonation (spark knock).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a custom tune done by Johan. Cleared the light and it came back. This leads me to believe this is a sensor issue and not an actual knock issue. Should I just get the sensor looked at next week when I get the timing chain recall done????

Thanks for all the help guys, this really is an awesome resource for challenger owners.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Need to really check out your exhaust system for rattles, rubs etc. Too big of a coincidence that a sensor would go bad the same time you change exhaust manifolds. Could even be something that the shop loosened and forgot to tighten. The foil (heat shield) sensor covers can also be culprits.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still an ongoing issue....and tuner doesnt want to mess with it anymore until the issue goes away. There is knock there for sure. Dealership said during recall that for sure due to lack of back pressure. Everyone else says that cant be the case.

I think I am going to get it in the air and check everything out (already took it back to shop and of cousre they dont think they did anything). I think I am going to switch the KNK sensors. If light goes from bank 1 to bank 2 then I know my issue.

Thanks again for all the responses. Starting to think this was not the best grand I could have spent my challenger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question....why wouldn't you get knock sensor lights from both sides if it was a true knock?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: The knock sensor was not plugged in all the way. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thanks for all the replies. She runs/sounds like a beast again.

·
Registered
477 Posts
But I thought the dealer knew for sure it was back pressure!?!?!?! Their lazyness annoys the sh1t outta me! They always take the easy way out when given the chance instead of finding out what's wrong.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea it is amazing how little they will help if you have done anything aftermarket to your car.

After all this I will be the only one touching my wife's car from now on!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts