-Original '70 style hood pins
-BT Scat Pak Nose Badge
-RPM Rollbar 5pt. Chrome moly CF Hydrodipped Rollbar
-Pedder's Xtreme Xa front & rear coil overs

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
That is one BAD AZZ looking ride bro. Hood looks like,,,,, Im coming to get ya !
FT

·
Registered
146 Posts
I really like that hood and I got a question about it from pic #5. I always thought the SMS was doing the callout kinda hood from the early 70's where the engine displacement badge would be in the recessed area. But now that I see yours are those butterflies that open and close? If so are they vacuum actuated or do they open with a cable somewhere in the car like the ol' "Carb Air" levers in the shaker and air grabber cars?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Really nice job man. The SMS hood is pretty cool, too bad I've heard such bad things about their company and customer support. I won't even consider trying to get one based on all the bad stuff I've heard.
________
Wiki vaporizer

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the nice words.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, the parts installed/purchased were based on reviews and pics posted by members here.

As for the SMS hood, you are correct. The '71-'72 Plymouth Road Runner had callouts designating engine displacement. These "butterflies" are cable operated by the throttle pedal. They are well thought out by SMS and require patience and trial and error to get to work properly. The fun part is watching people poke fingers at the hood while driving. It also helps to have Kooks LT headers with catless mids and Corsa exhaust to go along with it too :)

Flat top: I added a I'm coming to get ya pic :thumbsup:

Chris 1992: Funny hing you said pure evil. Same thought came to my mind when she was completed. Thoughts of venomous reptiles and insects came to mind as well the Dark Maul form Star Wars. I feel I built this car for him

Mopar Poster Child: You are correct. I was the one who posted regarding the poor service. It took 3 months for me to get the hood and all necessary components from the date of purchase. I'm sure because I live in Hawaii must have added a month to the fudge factor but two months? At the end, I received personal assistance from a Saleen family member and she was extremely nice and helpful. Without her I would still be waiting. If I were to do a purchase I would bypass all the salesmen there and speak to her directly.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
where in hawaii you live.. i have family over in Ewa beach... watch out for those big waves from japan!!!!

great car too... dont see many in hawaii... so many dam toyota's .....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Howzit Adam?!
I live in Hawaii Kai. Let me know when you get down here. Starting up a Challenger club here and we got FF Classic RT, PC SRT8, IE392, KB SRT8 and more.
I was more concerned with last years Chile earthquake but this was an all nighter.
You are so right about dem Toyota's. It's Toyota land here!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Awesome Job!!!!

G,

Great job on the new hood. I am so envious, you gotta stop doing so much and leave a little for the rest of us. *LOL*

Yeah, I got to spend an all nighter too. Finally caught up on my sleep last night....

L

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey thanks Leon!
Kinda late to stop me from adding mods. I think I did everything I would want. I was going to install rear window louvers but my car too a more "modern" approach and the shiny black glass looks better in this case. However , one of our members is installing louvers on his ride soon.

What's next? A forged shortblock with an F1D and upgraded clutch, DSS driveshaft and axles ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. Yes they are 22" Factory Repro's

·
Registered
298 Posts
dude! :werd:nice freakin car! looks mean coming at you, that hood sets it off! I was considering the hood too, but I am scared to deal with SMS, back in the late 90's I owned a saleen and even back then they were the worst people to deal with, never again. But I am glad everything worked out for you, atleast somebody out there got good customer service from them:bigthumb:, your car looks crazy mean. good job

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jamaya & 426hemicuda,
Thanks guys, much appreciated!
I guess the good thing about the SMS hood being difficult to get is the uniqueness factor :) especially when you live on a rock in the middle of the pacific. Didn't know Saleen had issued before. Figure with the name should be ok. Molly over there was a great person to deal with.

Speaking of 426hemicuda, I'm building one 1971 convertible with a 472 alum head StageV 2x4 with 5spd tremec and 4.10 dana. Ought to look nice next to my SRT and A12 Road Runner ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts