Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm new here and new to Chrysler cars. This one belongs to the wife, and she likes performance, and I'm a big believer forced cold air induction

So this past weekend I installed the Stack Bullet CAI system in her RT classic
The install of the unit on the top side wasn't as easy and straight forward as it should have been. The tube wouldn't line up with the T.B. It was off 1" to the left as you face the windshield and too high about 1"
What I did to correct this was to have to put more of a bend in the elbow at the down spout. After much trial and error it's now in perfect alignment. I can take it out and then reinstall it and the down spout is centered in the body hole and the other end lines right up with the T.B. I called Ryan at Stacks and we both think the problems I was having with the install was a fluke.
To install the filter which needs to be done from underneath, I decided to remove the two skid plates. When up on ramps this is a piece of cake. If someone were going to change their own oil the rear skid plate would have to come off any way, and it's only seven 7mm sheet metal screws to remove the front plate.
After the install we went for a ride. There was a definite improvement in throttle response, and the engine felt stronger. We have several straight, long back roads around us to do 1/4 mile runs but the roads were too wet, so all I did was some 3rd gear roll ons. In stock form this car didn't seem to get up and scoot until after 3000 rpm. Now it seems it moves out sooner.
The other thing I noticed was the intake tube all the way up to the T.B. stayed cold to the touch whether driving normally or getting on it. The only heat around the T.B. was being radiated from the engine. So the relocation the AIT away from the T.B. in this system is a plus.

There's no way that I think you can see the full potential of a cai unit from dyno numbers. You may see a little gain from the unrestricted air flow but you won't see the full gains made from any cold air flow.
I proved this to myself because I have a 2000 camaro that dynos constantly at 350 rwhp with it's forced cai on or off. But a definite difference can be felt when on the road.

The next mod I'm going to do is to try to install an SRT8 front spoiler which has scoops built into it to force air to the filter. I'm open to suggestion and experiences on this.
Thanx John

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Why not just leave the front drivers side pan off, or if you need the mounts why not just get some aluminum stock and make a couple braces from spoiler to wheel well lining.

Or cut a hole in the drivers side pan and mount a cut down 5 gallon pail to fit between pan and hole where tube comes to lower compartment. Can paint the pail black with fussion plastic paint. This would keep engine heat out of filter and allow only exterior air to filter.

The biggest question I have is did you disconnect the battery while installing CAI?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts