Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Removed mufflers/kept Reso Installed straight pipes! is there a breaking in period?

I just removed my mufflers and straight piped it and kept my resonators on. Is there a breaking in point ? Does it get louder over time? I feel like I'm not happy with the sound I got . Where can I go from here to make it sound louder and mean !?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Since there's no stuffing/insulation in just plain straight pipes there's no real break-in period, how it sounds now is how it should sound later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want it louder, youll need high flow cats or none. Did you remove mufflers and resonators?
If the resonators are in the back those are still on only removed the mufflers two of them and straight piped it ? Sorry I dont know much about the exhaust Im learning :)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
If the resonators are in the back those are still on only removed the mufflers two of them and straight piped it ? Sorry I dont know much about the exhaust Im learning :)
Well, the resonators are what make the exhaust as quiet as it is, replacing the mufflers with straight pipe and leaving the resonators in place won't change much, maybe slightly louder and a different tone, but not much. This is why folks leave the mufflers and remove the resonators.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I removed the resonators in the back and replaced them with BB glasspacks. That made it a bunch louder. Then, I went with catless mids. Now she sounds just right. :)

I'm afraid by keeping the resonators in place it won't get any louder for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the resonators are what make the exhaust as quiet as it is, replacing the mufflers with straight pipe and leaving the resonators in place won't change much, maybe slightly louder and a different tone, but not much. This is why folks leave the mufflers and remove the resonators.
Jesus I was telling my muffler guy to just remove the resonators but he insisted that it will sound better deleting the mufflers. He said he did this many of times with challengers. I feel like I'm not happy with the sound I got? Should I just add some flowmasters super 40's and go from there? I want her to sound like a muscle car should sound.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the resonators in the back and replaced them with BB glasspacks. That made it a bunch louder. Then, I went with catless mids. Now she sounds just right. :)

I'm afraid by keeping the resonators in place it won't get any louder for you.

Yeah I wasn't happy with the sound I got, paid $80 not bad. Where should I go from here? To make it sound like a monster

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Well, here's my car with the factory 6-speed mufflers, Blastin' Bobs glass pack resonator delete, and JBA shorty headers.

And this is before the JBA shorty headers, otherwise the same (stock + reso delete)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, here's my car with the factory 6-speed mufflers, Blastin' Bobs glass pack resonator delete, and JBA shorty headers.

Sunday Drive with the Challenger - YouTube

And this is before the JBA shorty headers, otherwise the same (stock + reso delete)

Challenger Fun - YouTube
Your challenger sounds amazing ! I seen your video before on youtube lol Can I still get this sound if I removed my mufflers and straight piped it ? Isn't it just adding the blastin bobs and removing the resonators?

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Your challenger sounds amazing ! I seen your video before on youtube lol Can I still get this sound if I removed my mufflers and straight piped it ? Isn't it just adding the blastin bobs and removing the resonators?
Thanks. :)

So, it looks like you have an automatic. Those seem to come with "turbo style" mufflers from the factory these days, I have the 6-speed which come with straight-through "bottle style" mufflers so right off the bat your car would sound a little different even if you installed the same BB glass packs and put the factory mufflers back in place.

Just straight piping the whole thing isn't going to have the desired effect, IMO. That's going to make it sound rather brash and unrefined since there's nothing to help muffle the "undesirable" exhaust frequencies.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the automatics have MDS and unless you disable it you'll get some ugly-sounding drone when it activates while cruising if you have a loud(er) exhaust. For this reason it seems like folks with autos either aren't happy with the plain resonator delete or they find a way to disable MDS.

For $300-$400 and having an automatic...hmmm, I would probably look into having a shop straight pipe the resonators and then install a pair of Dynomax VT mufflers in the stock location.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/dynomax-vt‎

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you want loud, I'd go with some SLP loud mouth 1s. I went with the catback bc it came with 3" exhaust. You could go with a reso delete now. The only thing is the drone can be annoying on the highway. So if you are on the highway a lot this may not be for you.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I herd a challenger with no mufflers or ressos and its load

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have straights, no res or mufflers, and I LOVE it. It replaced the dinky horn to let ppl know to get outta the way. If you stand behind the car and hit redline in neutral, your ears will ring for a solid min lol.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Why do people got thru the expense?

First off, I trust that the SRT Engineers know a little about the exhaust system in a 392 secondly, I do not understand why people go thru the expense of installing "headers" they only work "IF" you open them up!
The best thing that you can do is just: remove the resonators and replace the "Dinky ass stock exhaust tips"
Why do people think that the stock exhaust tips look good? This are the cheapest things on a Challenger bar none, just ugly as hell. I have better modifications to do with the money that some spend on replacing the entire exhaust system and trust me they do not sound any better than one gets when you just remove the resonators and save your money for other things.

Just saying............

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Theres are ways to improve the stock exhaust? H-pipes are useless, X-pipes are where its at. Also it never hurts to have a large diameter pipe. Yes, Chrysler engrs knew what they were doing, but there always a way to make something better. And they have to design the car so that the average person enjoys it. Us fume smelling octane junkies are not the typical customer

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
In chronological order and cost of the exhaust mods I've done to my 2009 M6 R/T, starting from stock.

Blastin Bob's Glasspacks in place of resonators, new $199 (nice sound, minimal drone, not too loud)

+ JBA Catless mids in place of OEM catted mids, used $140 (big increase is sound, more drone but sounded mean)

+ JBA Shorty headers in place of stock manifolds, used $200 (not much different in sound)

+ Custom data logged Johan tune, $100 (holy mother of God increase in power, MUCH less drone, sounds perfect IMO)

I now have under $600 invested in my exhaust and she sounds perfect to me. I can't stress enough how beneficial the custom tune is when doing this!

:)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
First off, I trust that the SRT Engineers know a little about the exhaust system in a 392 secondly, I do not understand why people go thru the expense of installing "headers" they only work "IF" you open them up!
The best thing that you can do is just: remove the resonators and replace the "Dinky ass stock exhaust tips"
Why do people think that the stock exhaust tips look good? This are the cheapest things on a Challenger bar none, just ugly as hell. I have better modifications to do with the money that some spend on replacing the entire exhaust system and trust me they do not sound any better than one gets when you just remove the resonators and save your money for other things.

Just saying............
Lol, while I agree with most of what you are saying, I've seen your exhaust tips...and yeah...I don't know if I'd consider those damn-near coffee cans an improvement. I love the Mopar quad tips, hope to get a set someday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts