Dodge Challenger Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Glad you and @STINGRAY have learned the SHAKER HOOD is FUNCTIONAL. Now learn from this for future posting!
Once again we never said it was not functional!! Just we say it’s bling that means it’s not functional? Lol
Nah a bling is a functional add on that provides no real performance but rather just provides a cool factor that is what we mean by just bling but you assume wrong and you assume that by saying bling we are saying it’s not functional you are dead wrong in what we were talking about since you didn’t read the whole thread and how it started so I didn’t learn anything new today from you since you assume wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
That shaker makes the Challlenger more intimidating. Scare off the competition. (y)
I agree the main function of the shaker is to give that cool factor, that bling! For me I don’t like for 2200 but some people like that look or bling and pay the 2200 but I agree it’s a cool look

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree the main function of the shaker is to give that cool factor, that bling! For me I don’t like for 2200 but some people like that look or bling and pay the 2200 but I agree it’s a cool look

You do get a bit more than just the shaker hood with the option though. It is expensive I agree, but it does have a cool retro feel to it. Hence the price I guess. I know it does not bring any HP gains but I thought I read once here that it does lower the temp inside the engine. I don't remember if it was about the 6.4 or 5.7 though. Is this untrue?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

It does make adding oil/changing oil a little more difficult in that you have 4 bolts to remove unless you have that special funnel to access the oil cap. On the negative side just one more thing to remove or get in the way of maintenace work.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,803 Posts
The SHAKER is more than an additional cool air inlet path.
It is also a Visual Torque Reference Gauge! You have to actually experience it, and some people just plain get it.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts

This one lets you change the scoop style and when running the "Max Air" or "T/A" style you get some Retro Bling under the hood in the addition of a round air filter and lid.

But alas, it is just too much more money for something that does not add any power. I'd rather save the 2200 and save a few K more and get a Cam, Headers, and a Tune. Then maybe save more and add a set of heads and top it off with a Super Charger.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The SHAKER is more than an additional cool air inlet path.
It is also a Visual Torque Reference Gauge! You have to actually experience it, and some people just plain get it.
I have seen how the shaker moves when you rev up the engine and it find it cool it adds to the cool bling factor but I don’t like it for 2200 lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have seen how the shaker moves when you rev up the engine and it find it cool it adds to the cool bling factor but I don’t like it for 2200 lol

Well I guess this depends how people feel about the Shaker. My first challenger had no Shaker, but now the one I ordered I wanted some change and got the Shaker package which in Canada is $3000 (which is approximately $2200 USD). You do get a bit more than just the hood for $2200 USD (at least in Canada). But I agree it is expensive to those who think price/HP. It's really for those who wants something different and cool (like me) and who also like the look and nostalgia it projects.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well back in 1981 my 1978 Pontiac Trans-AM came with a shaker that was converted by former owner that was functional and shook at the same time and that is part of the car not an option on the Trans-AM Firebird. (y)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

The shaker that came standard on the Trans-AM Firebird made me think that the motor mounts were loose.:ROFLMAO::LOL::unsure:

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
225 Posts
I have to disagree with eveyone about Cold Air Intakes. There are some that absolutely aid in power. Most of them are heat traps, but not all of them. If you can seal the box, use a cone filter, and get some extra air into the intake, you can increase power, and that is what I did.

I used the JLT CAI with Hellcat headlight tube and it helps with power, I can feel it and I've tested them back to back. I added the headlight tube along with a few other mods to help keep hot air out and I used the driver side hood scoop to help push cold air in. I need to do a write up for everyone. Some of you might have seen my thread about heat soak, I have since fixed that issue and the car runs stronger for sure.

The way I have mine set up now, it keeps the intake around 90 degrees when idling (unless the outside temp is hotter) and runs within 3-7 degrees above ambient when driving depending on speed and acceleration.

Those CAIs that are open to the engine will kill power for sure, if you can close it off to the engine most circular/cone filters will provide more air than a flat filter. The JLT is like 90% closed and with a little modification can be 98% closed. (JLT admits that because there are so many hoods for the 6.4l, Challenger and Charger, that they can't make a perfect fit for every hood. I understand, I can think of 7 different hoods just off the top of my head).

I can feel the throttle response is better and the engine feels like it breaths better and revs faster at the top end. I don't think that the power has been increases, I think that the power builds faster, because the air can get in faster, if that makes any sense.

I did a comparison between the stock box (no Hellcat bottom) and the JLT with my mods and my 0-60 was consistently faster by more than 0.1 seconds. I need to do some 1/4 mile runs. I would also like to get a Hellcat lower and test it against that.

So I'm for sure talking about minimal gains so you need to decide if its worth the cost for your self. I'm trying to get my 0-60 down to 4 seconds flat without tuning. I'm close. Right now I think its driver skill, lack of. When I do I know some of that will be the help of the JLT CAI. 315 tires on the rear definitely help too.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
16 Posts
I'm trying to get my 0-60 down to 4 seconds flat without tuning. I'm close. Right now I think its driver skill, lack of. When I do I know some of that will be the help of the JLT CAI. 315 tires on the rear definitely help too.
There are alot of different factors involved with getting a good 0-60 times. Altitude, outside temp, etc. Stock RTs are said to get around a 4.9-5.2 0-60 from what I've heard. The first day I got mine, I tested out the 0-60 and was able to get a 4.7 with 275/45r20 tires in the rear and no engine mods. That was the best I could achieve. It was a 50-60 degree day if I remember correctly with low humidity.

It wasn't until added the Hellcat Airbox, AFe Dryflow panel filter, muffler delete and 87 octane Hemifever tune that I was able to get a 4.4 0-60. I ran a 13.4 quarter mile at the track with that setup. CAIs really don't do much but add a bit more sound in my opinion.

I witnessed this with my old car (an SXT) as well. I ported the TB, added a TB spacer, modified the exhaust and tried numerous CAIs before I settled for the Hellcat box and panel filter and saw minimal changes. A tune was the ONLY thing that really woke it up. I was running 13.9s 1/4 mile and 5.2 0-60 by the time everything was done.

It's going to be very hard to reach a 4-second flat 0-60 without doing a bit of tuning and you'll need more than just wider tires and a CAI to do that.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
225 Posts
There are alot of different factors involved with getting a good 0-60 times. Altitude, outside temp, etc. Stock RTs are said to get around a 4.9-5.2 0-60 from what I've heard. The first day I got mine, I tested out the 0-60 and was able to get a 4.7 with 275/45r20 tires in the rear and no engine mods. That was the best I could achieve. It was a 50-60 degree day if I remember correctly with low humidity.

It wasn't until added the Hellcat Airbox, AFe Dryflow panel filter, muffler delete and 87 octane Hemifever tune that I was able to get a 4.4 0-60. I ran a 13.4 quarter mile at the track with that setup. CAIs really don't do much but add a bit more sound in my opinion.

I witnessed this with my old car (an SXT) as well. I ported the TB, added a TB spacer and numerous CAIs before I settled for the Hellcat box and panel filter and saw minimal changes. A tune was the ONLY thing that really woke it up. I was running 13.9s 1/4 mile and 5.2 0-60 by the time everything was done.

It's going to be very hard to reach a 4-second flat 0-60 without doing a bit of tuning and you'll need more than just wider tires and a CAI to do that.
Well, I ran the stock box and CAI on the same day, same ambient temp., but had better times with the JLT, and more consistent, so my testing showed that with my car it did help. Minimal, but better 0-60 none the less.

And that 4.2 sec was during an 80 degree day. Im confidant in the right conditions I can hit 4.05 seconds. I also have a Tazer which opens up a few more options. It's nowhere near a tune, but I have yet to mess with the shift points. That might get me there. I just need to find time to get out of the house and play.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
16 Posts
Honestly, that's good to know. I just orderd the JLT Series II intake last week and it should be here today. I like the design of the CAI itself and how it seals with the hood of the car. I'm planning on using the headlight tube from the hellcat intake as well to draw air from the outside. I still believe that the Hellcat Intake is the best option but the thing that irks me about it is how quiet it is. I'm looking for a little bit more sound.

4.2 is impressive without a tune though. I'm not sure your reasoning for not wanting to tune but if you're getting times like that without one, you'd most likely break into the 3's with one. My time dropped .3 seconds from stock with just an 87 octane tune. My old car dropped around .6 seconds with a 91 octane tune. The only reason I didn't do 91 this time around is because 91 octane can be expensive where I am. Plus I'm fine with a 4 1/2 second 0-60 car. Mine is a daily that I only occasionally track.

EDIT: I just realized you have a Scat. Mine is a 5.7.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I went with the Hellcat airbox, and aFe headlight intake tube.
“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
iF it wasn't already built into the Challenger, I don't think the aftermarket can outperform the factory engineers as far as the combination of both reliability and performance go otherwise the factory would have done it from the get go.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
iF it wasn't already built into the Challenger, I don't think the aftermarket can outperform the factory engineers as far as the combination of both reliability and performance go otherwise the factory would have done it from the get go.
Then theres no reason to mod the engine at all with that thought process... lol

The effects are cumulative. There are only a few mods that make a large difference by themselves, tune, headers, tires, forced induction being the biggest improvements. But if you have a tune, headers etc, a better intake will just add to those improvements.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts