Dodge Challenger Forum banner

121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,605 Posts
I don't think a CAI will add any improvement until the need for more flow. In other words, the stock system is enough for stock, and some mods, only when the mods to the engine would require more flow than available would it be an improvement. Hellcat airbox and tube and filter are enough to feed a 797+ HP engine

A Guy

·
Registered
204 Posts
There are alot of different factors involved with getting a good 0-60 times. Altitude, outside temp, etc. Stock RTs are said to get around a 4.9-5.2 0-60 from what I've heard. The first day I got mine, I tested out the 0-60 and was able to get a 4.7 with 275/45r20 tires in the rear and no engine mods. That was the best I could achieve. It was a 50-60 degree day if I remember correctly with low humidity.

It wasn't until added the Hellcat Airbox, AFe Dryflow panel filter, muffler delete and 87 octane Hemifever tune that I was able to get a 4.4 0-60. I ran a 13.4 quarter mile at the track with that setup. CAIs really don't do much but add a bit more sound in my opinion.

I witnessed this with my old car (an SXT) as well. I ported the TB, added a TB spacer, modified the exhaust and tried numerous CAIs before I settled for the Hellcat box and panel filter and saw minimal changes. A tune was the ONLY thing that really woke it up. I was running 13.9s 1/4 mile and 5.2 0-60 by the time everything was done.

It's going to be very hard to reach a 4-second flat 0-60 without doing a bit of tuning and you'll need more than just wider tires and a CAI to do that.
Really, even with a scat pack? I know the "official" time is like 4.2 stock from the factory for a regular SP and the 1320 is something like 3.8-3.9, but I've heard several people say they got into the mid-high 3's with minimal bolt-ons, but more importantly bigger, stickier tires in the rear.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger RT
16 Posts
I didn't realize he had a Scat until the later post.

He can definitely make it into the 3s with his set up. As friend of mine runs a completely stock Scat but swaps out the rears for super thick, mickey thompson drag radials and she's constantly hit the high 3's with a mid 12 second 1/4. It's definitely possible.

121 - 123 of 123 Posts