Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I bought a 12" aftermarket sub and amp for my base SE (4 speakers, basic stereo) and I have a few questions. I am not the best with wiring but I have a friend who has done this a few times (just not on a challenger) helping me.

I have done some searches and found a couple threads that have helped a little but they had the 6 speaker set up, or the kicker sub already installed with the connections already there so my questions are..

1) I am pretty sure I need to take the radio out to connect the amp and sub so that it only turns on when I turn my key. How do I take the stereo out? or at least expose the wires to connect everything?

2) I want to hide the wires. How hard is it to run the cables under the carpeting and under the backseat?

I know there are people who are more "electrically" inclined than I am. Please help me:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, you do need to remove the radio and run a remote wire from the back of the radio to the amp. This is what will turn your amp on when your stereo is on.
Looks like removing the stereo is pretty easy. Pop the trim piece off from the bottom (carefully), then remove the screws holding the stereo in.
Secondly, you need to run RCA cables to the amp. Not sure about the factory head unit, and whether it has RCA outputs or not (my guess is not). Your other option is to use an RCA converter and splice that into the speaker wires from the rear speakers.
Thirdly, you will need a power cable from your battery to your amp.

Buy an amp installation kit. It will have the wires and fuse needed for the install. You can get them from anywhere that sells car audio equipment.

If you splice the RCA converters into the rear speakers, then the only wire you have to run from the head unit thru the car is the remote wire. The remote wire is small, and easy to run under the door sills and behind the rear seat.
**not sure where the battery is on the SE, but in the RT its in the trunk... which means you dont have to run the power cable from the front of the car.

Seems like your best bet is to dish out the money and have a pro do it. But it can be done fairly easily on your own with a little know how.

Im sure theres plenty of websites that can show you (better than I can) how to do it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! I do have the amp install kit and the battery is in the trunk on the SE as well. Im gonna try it on my own, and if i cant get it done, then I'll take it to a pro. but thanks for the input again

-ET

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Hm...this is why I find this weird, the stock\amp sub wiring...the harness is there, can't you tap into that for a remote wire and use a line output converter there if needed? It already has connections from the HU, I was wanting to replace the stock 200w sub with a 750w L7 and keep it in the stock enclosure...so I just need to know how to splice into that stock harness that is currently powering the srt kicker sub\amp

·
Registered
404 Posts
RPaul, that enclosure is too small for the L5 let alone the L7. The Amp wont be able to power that thing properly, probably burn that thing out. Although if you put it in backwards it MIGHT help with the size of the box, you'll also need some stuffing for the inside of the box. that amp wasn't made for such a powerful magnet.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
RPaul, that enclosure is too small for the L5 let alone the L7. The Amp wont be able to power that thing properly, probably burn that thing out. Although if you put it in backwards it MIGHT help with the size of the box, you'll also need some stuffing for the inside of the box. that amp wasn't made for such a powerful magnet.
I know the amp won't be able to power it correctly, if you look at KICKERS guide to that subwoofer box they SAY you can put a L5\L7 in it no prob, just need a spacer and a new amp. Polyfill would be of course something I'd throw in, but the Kicker guide is what gave me this idea, they say it's fine to replace the stock one and re-use the stock enclosure with a L5\L7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts