Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
i'm just going to line the front edge up with the front edge of the plastic factory sill plate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of installed plates? Im looking for ideas. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,946 Posts
Here is my installed door sill. It is secured by very sticky 3M tape. Line it up before you remove the tape's backing. Install the curved front edge first and then push down on the rest of the sill. Once down, it will not move!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Theres no specific place to put them.Just where you want.The thing is...you have ONE chance only.One wrong move and it STUCK! I ended up buying another set,because one didnt lay down just right and it stuck to the surface.Got it off with a heat gun,but bent the heck out of it.So with this,take your time and be careful! I had pics but cant find them.This is 3M tape your dealing with and it works! Just make sure(if its mopar),the lip is up against the edge,then roll it slowly upward.DONT rush. :) Good luck. DW

·
Registered
428 Posts
Door sills

No picture, but mine look just like Cudas. Its really hard to mess up where to put them. But like Deepwater said, you got one shot to put these on right. The 3m is very sticky. Peel from both ends about an inch or two,ends on top and bottom. That way you have something to pull when you have them in place. It will be easier to pull off and adjust this way. Once in place start pulling the backing off. Its tricky but it works

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I had the dealer install mine. Best $25 bucks I ever spent. If you search this site about installing these things you'll find some real horror stories.

·
Super Moderator
13,946 Posts
:cursin:Be thankful you don't own a new Camaro. This is what happens with the factory sills installed: ( I found this on a Camaro site.)
It looks like it was placed wrong and the installer tried to pry it up and reset it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I centered mine so the stainless plate was the same distance from both ends of the factory sill plate.

They are a one-shot deal. If it ain't right you're done and it's back to the dealer for another set. Too bad you can't get them one-at-a-time.

The door sill is curved slightly and the plates are straight. If you just set the plate down the front and rear corners will stick out from the door sill. I tipped them up slightly so only the lip was touching then I pressed the corners against the sill. After I had full sill contact I "rolled" the plate toward the center-line of the vehicle to complete the install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI everyone,

I jsut installed the Mopar shifter and sills. Pedals are tomorrow :) BUT after i got the 1st sill installed i noticed on the 2nd one the white tape on the round edge. Both sills are stuck down and wont move. Is it an issue that the one only has the 2 sticky tapes used to hold it down?

First time ever installing or modding anything. Thanks :)

Kat.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
probably not. dont worry about it. nothing you can do about it anyways
This is true. That is some Bad A$$ tape on the sills...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
No it won't hurt. In fact it probably HELPED you to get them installed better. You are attaching to a flat horizontal surface AND a vertical surface at the same time.
I found that if I put down the front and Rolled it down from front to back it went on the best and easiest AFTER I had done one by just laying the whole thing in place.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
this is the method I used and it worked out perfectly... these are not my pics but they did help me a lot:bigthumb:

to start... I only exposed the 3m tape on the rolled tip part and stuck that part on first (after lining up)... then for the two 3m strips on the upper part of the sill, I pulled back around 4 inches of the tape from the end and put some painters tape around them to have something to pull with and that leads into the 2nd pic...

here is the 2nd step... slowly pull along the sill until the tape is completely removed and then push down on the sill to stick it on for good:) hope that made sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First problem is the sill is curved and the sill plates are straight so they will not lay perfect the front and rear edger will be slighty raised not noticeable.
I had to try something different after putting down first on with startin at bottom and rolling on. The front edge is raise more than the rear.

On the second on after contemplating for some time, I tried to the decal method I use to install all my decals on my 71 Roadrunner. You get a small misting spray bottle fill will water and one drop of dishsoap. Spray on sill set sill plate in place and shift till in perfect position and press until water is out. Get very close when you drop in place because tape will begin to set pretty quick.

I dont believe it will come off, seems pretty tight after several days. The outside tape edge should have been thicker tape because it touches in the middle because the sill are bowed. I did try bending corners in a little. But they look great...Mopar bucks in action...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went the stupid simple way and got the Billet Technology ones. Sort of pricey, but I like em. Fast install. Put them on yesterday. Simple looking but clean. Oh, and I lined them up with the outer plastic part. The door in this pic is cranked all the way open. When you open the door to get in it looks nice and centered.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Nice. I saw something very similar at a car show yesterday. Certainly easier than dealing with the curved outer edge but they do leave the edge unprotected.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts