Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 SRT8 Challenger with the 392 hemi and 6 speed transmission. I noticed a a leak in the rear axle housing. After inspection I found that the axle housing is cracked around a bolt hole. That appears to be where the leak is coming from. Also it is a open differential! Since I cant find a replacement case half I was wondering if swapping the rear axle with a used one out of a hellcat. Will it fit without modification? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You need a whole 2015+ rear cradle and a driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Quite literally an "Open" differential huh...got any pictures?

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
The original rear end was a Getrag limited slip 3.91 so the easiest would be to find one and swap it in. Not sure why yours would be open as you say, does it have the cooling fins underneath like this one?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I havent checked it myself. But the shop that I had it at today for the leak is the one that told me it was open. But I will say the tire wear supports that statement

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
If it has cooling fins then it was originally limited slip but now could be just worn out. Just never heard of anybody taking a limited slip out for an open but guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan to replace it with a limited slip, was curious if a hellcat rear end is a stronger rear end? And if it would fit with out modification?

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
Hellcat rear end will not fit without modification. The rear cradle changed in 2015 to accept the new ZF rear end so you would need a cradle as well as the rear. Much easier just get a good Getrag LSD 3.91 (used 2009-2014) and it as strong as you will ever need on the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts