Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got everything ready to install my shifter when I see a message on my car that says I must be in park. I have to be in neutral with the parking brake on though to install it. What the heck do I do? Am I that big of a newb?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I figured out how to do it. Decided I'll have someone else do it for me because I obviously don't know what I'm doing. Got the chrome trim off but can't get the shifter plate to release. It says to carefully pry it up from the passenger side. Couldn't get it to budge. Oh well. I figured I had enough mechanical experience to change a couple parts and turn a couple screws. Guess not!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Don't lose faith in working on your own car! Takes a few mistakes to learn. Glad you got it fixed and hope you like it!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't lose faith in working on your own car! Takes a few mistakes to learn. Glad you got it fixed and hope you like it!
I'm stuck on the step where it says to carefully pry up from the passenger side. I was putting a lot of force onto the prying tool and it wasn't budging. Any idea why? I didn't want to apply too much force and end up breaking it. It looks so simple from there on. If I could only get it to budge.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just put some muscle behind it.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
you need to pop the tabs on the side and it will lift up,,,,the whole plate does not come off just the top black piece, the white part will stay in place, be sure to take the plastic slider piece and roll it into a real tight circle so it wont snag the front edge of the chrome trim ring when you put it back together. I ve did a lot of these. youll like it need any help I ll pm you my info and you can call or text me,

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you need to pop the tabs on the side and it will lift up,,,,the whole plate does not come off just the top black piece, the white part will stay in place, be sure to take the plastic slider piece and roll it into a real tight circle so it wont snag the front edge of the chrome trim ring when you put it back together. I ve did a lot of these. youll like it need any help I ll pm you my info and you can call or text me,
Aha! From the way the instructions read, it seemed like the whole plate comes off. I'll give that a try in the next couple of days. Thanks for the tip and the PM! Hopefully I've got good news and pictures soon!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If Hurst has not updated their shift plates, then it might get stuck shifting from drive to park. The plastic slider hits the front edge of the metal. If it does you'll need to make something to smooth the transition.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got it everyone! Thanks to everyone who gave advice! Kept catching going from N to R to P, so I rolled it up for an hour and badabing! Catches a bit going to D but not too much. Maybe I'll take a look later on, but for now it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The back part comes with a metal slider piece so don't forget that. I wished they would have done something for the front. Defiantly looks a lot better though. Glad you got it.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
sorry I should have showed ya this at first. might help
watch all 3 parts. you don't have to take the console apart to do the shifter install just take the chrome trim off. but you can see how it all works. I have the paddle shifters in mine also. good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts