Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna make the jump to kooks 17/8 long tubes with cats. Going to do the install with friend that is a pretty good wrench to save on costs. Price of just the dyno tune is very reasonable this place gets great reviews. But don't want to pay the 400-500 for install and they talking 2000 to purchase headers (found on ebay for a touch under 1700 free shipping. Just wondering if there is any thing to watch out for like a heads up on trouble spots. Do you have to pull motor mounts etc. Install says 5-7 hours is that right on a new car with only 4000 miles on it. I figured it would be somewhat easy.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I was just looking at the motor yesterday thinking how I would not wanna put headers on lol a lift would be a must for me

·
Registered
75 Posts
I put a set of headers on my 5.7 Magnum by myself in my garage with the car on jack stands. Seven hours sounds about right. With two of you and if your buddy is a good wrench, you might do it in five hours. It is not an easy job. And installing long tubes will probably require some cutting of the exhaust pipes and possibly some welding (I'm not familiar with the Kooks setup).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pain in the ass. I did it this past winter. The headers that I installed was American Racing Headers. Great product. No cutting or welding required, true bolt on. I also got the high flow cats, had Johan send me a tune. 400 miles so far no CEL. Installed them in my garage in about 5 hours. Would not want to do it again. Sounds so mean now, love them. I posted pics in this forum not to long ago. Just look under my profile

·
Registered
975 Posts
Headers do require about 4-5 hours install. It is tedious and has to be done right the first time. If it's rushed, then you will have to go back under often to tighten leaks. Have a qualified shop do the install, and make sure they have experience installing long tube headers on a Challenger already. Usually, it is recommended to re-tighten everything about about 500-1000 miles. This is the break-in period and bolts can slightly loosen from expansion and contraction of the new stainless steel. After this initial re-tightening, you should be all good if installed correctly. Make sure your tuner is qualified as well, and you do not want to run too lean. I hope this helps!

Steve
(I have Kooks LT on my SRT8 Challenger- been through it)

P.S. I used an excellent installer with years of experience on Mopars. I suggest trying to go that route!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Guys I was wondering if there were any HP numbers or 1/4 mile times after install of long tube?
That's going to highly depend on what other modifications are done to a particular car, altitude, tuning, etc. You're probably going to see some varied numbers because of this. Your best bet is to have it dyno'd before hand, then install the headers and drive it around to let the tune bed in, then return to the same dyno and run it again on a day with similar temperatures and humidity levels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts