Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi community,

I have a 2009 SRT-8 6spd and today at a stop light I noticed a crack on the actual gauge itself. Was wondering if any else of the same year happens to have something similar? I'm actually confused of how this was even possible. It is definitely triggering, especially when the sunlight hits it at the right angle..

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should of emphasized that it is behind the outer lens..actually on the display where it shows your direction, temperature, etc..

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Hi community,

I have a 2009 SRT-8 6spd and today at a stop light I noticed a crack on the actual gauge itself. Was wondering if any else of the same year happens to have something similar? I'm actually confused of how this was even possible. It is definitely triggering, especially when the sunlight hits it at the right angle..
Hi Choney,
I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your instrument cluster. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Super Moderator
14,709 Posts
Hi community,

the gauge faces are a vinyl overlay - the bottom "window" is the clear vinyl for the various EVIC displays it might have had a scratch or nick while being assembled - probably won't affect function but mainly aesthetic issue. [I've changed those style clusters with aftermarket gauge overlays in the past]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys thanks for the replies

@Hal H Could you sticky a guide or a link where I could begin such a project for myself? When you changed them, you actually changed that clear vinyl on the evic display as well?

·
Super Moderator
14,709 Posts
I changed the entire gauge face (the window is part of the overlay) - I went to black gauge faces w/ lighted pointer needles on one car (mine) and did red gauge faces on a friends with lighted pointer needles as well.

I don't like the look nor the glare of the "idiglo" gauges that were used on the '08 - '14 design. The aftermarket ones had a more subdued lighting due to the background and the lighted needles were much better for visibility.

The stock IP cluster depends on backlighting (therefore the white gauge face) and reflecting light in the mask for the operator to see the needles (which are lighted)

below are examples on my former '09:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn Hal those black faces look really good. I've been trying to search for new faces, can you recommend any reputable websites to purchase them from?

·
Super Moderator
14,709 Posts
Damn Hal those black faces look really good. I've been trying to search for new faces, can you recommend any reputable websites to purchase them from?
I don't know if the black faces from that supplier are still in production - there were flaws in the first two sent to me and the last one was better. [US Speedo is the maker]

the red face (I did this on a friend's car) was a compromise (his R/T had red accents and that was a natural choice)
as it was a color that was ready stock (and had no flaws) that company had orange and yellow faces.

another company from years back is Black Cat Customs (they also sell the lighted needle kits) and they offer multiple options - they make to order...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts